Does anyone NOT have a smartphone???

Just wondering? I don't have one. I am guilty of having the old flip phone by tracphone:) I find that's all I need or want. But it seems you need a special app to get fp+ changed at Disney or for other updates. I was wondering if anyone else felt like they were being "forced" into buying a new smartphone? It's a personal thing with me. Maybe because I am a "senior" and wasn't raised on technology? Anyway, just wondering????:goodvibes

I am the same way. I'm 50 and my daughter is 20. The only reason I have a phone at all is to keep in touch with her and be available when she needs me. My wife does not own a cell phone at all. Everyone around us seemingly lost their mind when it comes to their smart phones. Even when we go out to dinner they are always checking their phones and these are people my age. My daughter and her friends seem hopeless when it comes to all things having to do with social media.

And last but not least texting when driving has caused many deaths. I really don't like the direction all this has taken us. I know I sound like an old guy, but I long for a time before smart phones and facebook. Maybe that's why COP is one of my favorite attractions.

So; I guess I am one of those parents being judged. First, my cell is for work and even on vacation I am on call from 7-5. Also when standing in long lines I will use one of my Disney apps to play games with my family. i.e. disney trivia or Where in Disney World... or a quick check of line waits and "yes" to change a FP+ if we need to, which involves a family decision, last trip we did it twice. The one time we used the kiosk, it took 15 minutes of waiting in another line, so why would I want to do that when I do not have too. So please do not "assume" that the person with the cell phone is ignoring their family. I am one that is NOT glued to my cell, but enjoys the advantages it gives me. I actually forgot it today, still sitting on the charger at home:rotfl:

Thanks msthumper: We have a kindle fire hd that my husband uses to read, watch movies, etc, or play games. He loves it! I can't see paying the smartphone prices for all those data sites too. Guess I'm either too cheap or don't really feel the need to be connected all the time.! I guess that's what bugs me. I see parents at wdw with children who spend a lot of time looking at their phones instead of looking at the faces of their children as they take in all the wonders of disney:sad2: I just wish we could put them away for a few hours at least and look at the world, not a screen. I know,, I know, I will get comments about this, but it is just my personal opinion.

With FP+ it is almost required that you check a smart device frequently! :rolleyes2

So; I guess I am one of those parents being judged. First, my cell is for work and even on vacation I am on call from 7-5. Also when standing in long lines I will use one of my Disney apps to play games with my family. i.e. disney trivia or Where in Disney World... or a quick check of line waits and "yes" to change a FP+ if we need to, which involves a family decision, last trip we did it twice. The one time we used the kiosk, it took 15 minutes of waiting in another line, so why would I want to do that when I do not have too. So please do not "assume" that the person with the cell phone is ignoring their family. I am one that is NOT glued to my cell, but enjoys the advantages it gives me. I actually forgot it today, still sitting on the charger at home:rotfl:

Hi buzznina: Sorry if you took offense. I know those phones are fun and addicting. Just wonder what it would be like if anyone left them behind for a half a day at Disney? What would happen? I don't think my daughter or grandkids will, but just wondering and remenising about pre-cell days. No disrespect intended. :lovestruc Have a magical day:wizard:

DH has a dumbphone, and I have no phone except the landline. I do, however, have a smartTV, or so it says whenever I turn it on.

DH has a dumbphone, and I have no phone except the landline. I do, however, have a smartTV, or so it says whenever I turn it on.

OOPS there goes my drink! I can still hear my Great-grandma every time i turn on the TV "there goes the idiot box again" :happytv:

for the great information and funny stuff, too:) I have another thought which I hope is still on topic:confused3 I mentioned wondering what would happen if we just left our smartphones, ipads, etc in the hotel room and went to Disney without any electronics for a few hours, or a half a day????? I have a neat story to tell: On my daughters 40th birthday this July, she had a different request from the usual, for a family get together. She just wanted a plain oldfashioned picnic at the local park on our town lake. It's a beautiful little park and is easily overlooked. So, we packed up some hamburgers, hot dogs, made potato salad, desserts, brought fruit, etc, cold drinks, and headed out to the park:yay: We played ladder ball, baseball, walked the path around the lake, and just gathered up and talked and told funny stories, and had a blast!!!!:cheer2: NO ONE took out their cell phones, etc, the entire time. They weren't banned at all, but no one wanted them. I was surprised the kids and teenage grandkids didn't care about them:confused3:confused3 Needless to say, we all had a great time. I had forgotten just how much fun a picnic could be, and we are all waiting to do it again! Just thought you might be interested in an electronics free few hours!

Hi buzznina: Sorry if you took offense. I know those phones are fun and addicting. Just wonder what it would be like if anyone left them behind for a half a day at Disney? What would happen? I don't think my daughter or grandkids will, but just wondering and remenising about pre-cell days. No disrespect intended. :lovestruc Have a magical day:wizard:

None taken, just trying not to be lumped into the group of cell users that are on it for everything other than work or Disney:rotfl:

So glad it's not just me! I still have a prepaid flip phone, I don't text, snapchat or anything else. :).

My husband has a "dumbphone" and I have a windows phone. So, we can't use Fastpass+ either.
I have been using Disney Expedition for my Windows Phone. It's been working great for scheduling FP+ reservations. Have you tried that?

Add me to the 'no cell phone' list, and I'm 37, and none of my kids have one either. LOL! My other half has a flip phone that can phone or text, that is all. And that is all we have needed, so we aren't upgrading just for this trip. (it's just me going, not him) I do however have my ipod touch, and will be bringing it... hoping it will suffice for mde when I need it, aside from looking at that info in the park, it will be tucked away in my bag!!

We have Flip phones , no texting and IPODs for our free wireless internet needs away from home.
Works well for us and saves monthly $$$

I don't have a smart phone and could care less....you wants to be tied to that thing?

Another senior here without a smart phone and quite content to stay that way. I do have a cell phone. Its a phone. And it can text. When I remember to charge it, it stays in my purse (turned off!) in case of emergency when I'm away from home.
At home we have a landline with extensions in 4 rooms. And if the power fails, one of the extensions is an old corded phone.

I'm not a Luddite. DH has a smart phone for work and travel. And I love the convenience of my tablet. But at WDW the tablet stays in the safe. DH will have to carry the smart phone so we can attempt to wrangle some use out of that godforsaken MDE. But we'll only use the WiFi feature. I'm not about to pay the exorbitant fees for international data plans. I'm so old fashioned that I wear a watch to tell time and use a camera to take pictures. If I want to communicate with folks back home, it can wait til I get back to the resort at night. I actually resent the need to have to rely on the phone while in the parks, if for no other reason than to avoid the lines at the kiosks when we want to change our plans.

I'm actually looking forward to our other winter trip more. A whole week at a resort with no phone and no internet. Now, THAT'S a vacation.

I think there can be a happy medium. We take our smartphones with us but they stay in the backpack unless we are changing FP+ reservations. I hate to see people with their face in their phones and not enjoying the moment around them.
But I see nothing wrong with not wanting a smart phone or a cellphone at all.

Another senior here without a smart phone and quite content to stay that way. I do have a cell phone. Its a phone. And it can text. When I remember to charge it, it stays in my purse (turned off!) in case of emergency when I'm away from home.
At home we have a landline with extensions in 4 rooms. And if the power fails, one of the extensions is an old corded phone.

I'm not a Luddite. DH has a smart phone for work and travel. And I love the convenience of my tablet. But at WDW the tablet stays in the safe. DH will have to carry the smart phone so we can attempt to wrangle some use out of that godforsaken MDE. But we'll only use the WiFi feature. I'm not about to pay the exorbitant fees for international data plans. I'm so old fashioned that I wear a watch to tell time and use a camera to take pictures. If I want to communicate with folks back home, it can wait til I get back to the resort at night. I actually resent the need to have to rely on the phone while in the parks, if for no other reason than to avoid the lines at the kiosks when we want to change our plans.

I'm actually looking forward to our other winter trip more. A whole week at a resort with no phone and no internet. Now, THAT'S a vacation.

Oh Minnie Mum, that's so funny. Esp the part about using a watch and a camera!!!lol:rotfl2: I use both of those. My grandkids/kids are always saying, "why didn't you take a picture of that and send it to me?" and I say, cause I have a flip phone that doesn't take pictures. I actually use a camera to take pictures. All I get is laughs......... This thread has been fun. It's good to hear how many people don't have smart phones. I'm not against them, I love some technology, but I guess it's just not for me. I'm addicted to my laptop, fb, Disney blogs/sites, so I'm not so "pure" either:lmao: We have 5 more weeks til Disney, mid November:) We will use the kiosks or just make do with standby and be there at park opening. Thanks a lot everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter