• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone "monitor" ride incidents?

palmtreelover08

DIS Veteran
Just curious- is it the guests responsibility to report rides that misbehave or does "Disney see all?" I had already posted about the elephant misfire the other day. Early last night on people mover- all the cars stopped. We got the normal "please keep arms in vehicle- ride will begin shortly.. Then a second announcement that we would start moving". Our car started moving back very slowly (not rolling, but literally moving). Then we stopped. All other cars were in motion and we were hit from behind. Pretty good jolt (luckily there was only one additional family in our car set- and they laughed it off too)- the car that hit us stopped momentarily- we were jolted into motion and then they continued. We casually mentioned getting hit to the cast member at the end of the ride but she was very -"meh" about it and we proceeded down the ramp. Does Disney see all and they can fix these things before they end us sued? They are starting to make me nervous with the "little" oops-es.

I'm not sure what the basis for a lawsuit would be for cars bumping. That happens on other rides. Just a bump is not an issue. Now if you got whiplash...

The only incidents I care about are catastrophic ride malfunctions that cause injury or death or involve being stuck for hours waiting for the fire dept and special harnesses so you don't fall to you death. (When rolled coasters get stuck for example.)

But no, it would be silly to monitor every ride breakdown or even incidental bump that isn't a serious collision.

If you had been injured, I would expect Disney to complete an incident report and make sure you got appropriate medical attention upon request. I would expect them to offer it if you had a serious injury.

I wouldn't expect CM to say anything...simply because so many folks would accept the statement of admission of guilt or responsibility. If the person was indeed injured, then first aid would be called for.

Just as you should never say "I'm sorry" when in a traffic accident, no employee can say similar...it is often turned into the company's admission of wrong doing.

I wouldn't call it an " incident". You have no idea why it happened, there are so many safety reasons it could have stopped. As PP said I wouldn't expect a CM to say anything to you either for legal reasons.

There is a whole department of professionals that monitor and maintain the rides.

Yes, all ride stops and downtimes are reported to what we refer to as DOCC. If an attraction is 101, or temporarily unavailable, DOCC removes the wait time at the standby entrance and automatically updates the MDE app. Each time ride motion has stopped, we need to call them and let the Cast Member know the time and the cause/reason. We have to call them once ride motion has resumed. This includes stopping the ride vehicles/moving walkway to assist a guest with a disability, but we don't have to if we only slow ride motion.

In your elephant misfire example, that would not be documented via DOCC or Engineering Services. At best, a coordinator would be alerted. The Cast Member simply didn't stop the boat's movement at the right spot in time. Luckily, the elephant uses clean water, unlike what can be found in the water at Jungle, Pirates, Splash or others that require a heavy duty wetsuit if a CM needs to enter the water.

What you experienced at TTA is something called "cars ahead." It is when a ride vehicle catches up to another. Sometimes, this can cause a backup in Space Tunnel and usually will require an evacuation. After the refurbishment, TTA has been experiencing many cases of the downramp not functioning properly and "cars ahead" is being seen much more frequently. On a positive note, the turntable faults haven't been as common. This may be the reason the Cast Member didn't care, but it shouldn't be an excuse. The safety of our guests come first and all guests need to know that they are safe in our parks. No exceptions.

Another thing to note with TTA is that if the ride stop button is pressed on a handpack (a remote that controls all ride motion and all Cast Members in a safety critical position are required to have on their person), it automatically plays the emergency spiel. This is the "May I have your attention? Please remain seated. This ride has stopped temporarily and will resume motion at any time. Please remain seated, for your own safety. Thank you." This is then followed by the verbal spiel that ride motion will resume momentarily. One minute prior to resuming ride motion, another verbal spiel is played to indicate that it will resume in a minute and vehicle bumping may occur.

Please, don't be afraid. There is nothing to be nervous about. Unless you're misbehaving and not following rules, you will most likely not get injured. The rides here are very safe, even with some having breakdowns (Space Mountain) multiple times a day. Most ride stops are either to assist a guest with a disability, the extremely common guest behaving inappropriately, Cast Members unfortunately being careless when operating an attraction or just general maintenance failures. You'd be surprised which one is the second most common in that list.

Thx for the info.. I guess getting bumped on what I would figure would be the smoothest, calmest "ride" ( with exception of COP), just made me wonder who watches for these types of things.

OP - The Hub said it all regarding tracking of any types of incidents, malfunctions, etc.

Regarding the bump you experienced - I would think that this could easily be explained on the People Mover as it works via magnets and depending on where you stopped - laws of attraction, etc. Don't really think it was any type of malfunction and nothing to be concerned about.

Hope you are having a great time at the world!

I wouldn't expect CM to say anything...simply because so many folks would accept the statement of admission of guilt or responsibility. If the person was indeed injured, then first aid would be called for.

Just as you should never say "I'm sorry" when in a traffic accident, no employee can say similar...it is often turned into the company's admission of wrong doing.

FYI.. this is a legal urban myth.

Most often things are settled long before they go to court. A refusal to show care or compassion at the time of the incident actually causes more payouts, and more complaints that lead to court or settlement.

In fact, if a cast member were to apologize, and it was used as an admission of guilt, the lawyer would have to prove that she was knowledgeable about the cause of the incident. Disney lawyers would easily defend that a front line cast member would have no working knowledge as to the mechanical function of a ride and therefor they were not making any admission.

Now in your traffic accident scenerio... yes, "sorry" or "OMG I didn't see you" or "Its all my fault" are definitely bad, bad, bad to say.

In 2011 we were riding on TTA and experienced the same thing. Our cars crashed into another set of cars and it was a pretty scary moment. Noone was hurt just stunned I think. We were evacuated off the ride. They sent us to Guest Services to make sure we explained what happened so it was recorded. They offered us a set of MNSSHP tickets but we were already going. They ended up giving us VIP seating for the parade that night. The CM at the ride said this is very rare, but the higher ups needed to know every time it happened. We weren't planning on going to guest services, or even looking for any sort of compensation. Interesting that this happens more then I would expect.

In 2011 we were riding on TTA and experienced the same thing. Our cars crashed into another set of cars and it was a pretty scary moment. Noone was hurt just stunned I think. We were evacuated off the ride. They sent us to Guest Services to make sure we explained what happened so it was recorded. They offered us a set of MNSSHP tickets but we were already going. They ended up giving us VIP seating for the parade that night. The CM at the ride said this is very rare, but the higher ups needed to know every time it happened. We weren't planning on going to guest services, or even looking for any sort of compensation. Interesting that this happens more then I would expect.

Somehow I think your experience was completely different than the OPs since you were evacuated and they did so much for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter