Does anyone know the proper way to dispose of an old toaster?

AnnetteF

DIS Veteran
Can I just put it in the trash? It's an old 4 slice toaster - one side doesn't even work anymore and the other side isn't reliable either, so I can't give it away to anyone. I've been looking around on our town websites for this answer but can't seem to find the answer. Tried calling our sanitation co. but I just get voice mail. Does anyone know?

why can't you just throw it out with the trash? :confused:

There's nothing hazardous in a toaster. I would just chunk it in the trash.

why can't you just throw it out with the trash? :confused:

That's exactly what I did. With all the emphasis on recycling everything these days, I was just afraid the garbage police might come after me. Just to be safe, I put it in the box from my new toaster, put it in a plastic bag, and then buried it under a whole lot of other garbage in our bin.

That's exactly what I did. With all the emphasis on recycling everything these days, I was just afraid the garbage police might come after me. Just to be safe, I put it in the box from my new toaster, put it in a plastic bag, and then buried it under a whole lot of other garbage in our bin.

I never thought much of it until a few years back when a new dad was fined some ridiculous amount like $250 because one baby food jar accidentally ended up in with their regular trash.. I don't even think it was the parents, but rather a sitter that tossed it in the wastebasket with a bunch of other junk.. They were able to trace it back to him by other things in the bag (I'm assuming junk mail) with their name and address on it..

I know recycling is important, but that's insane for a first time offense! :eek:

I'm very, very careful with my garbage here - although I know for a fact they don't "search" through it like that other town does.. Anythng "iffy" gets sent home with my DD's DH and he has permission to get rid of everything and anything in his employers dumpster..

I would just throw it in the trash. If you're worried someone might take it out and use it, cut the cord off of it. With larger appliances, sometimes we just take stuff directly to the dump,or if it still works, we donate it.

I never thought much of it until a few years back when a new dad was fined some ridiculous amount like $250 because one baby food jar accidentally ended up in with their regular trash..
:scared1:

You're kidding, right?

If it troubles you this much, this is my solution . . . I would give it to Goodwill or Salvation Army, because they will test it before they put in on a shelf; and when they figure out it doesn't work, they will put it in their recycling bin.

Throw it in the garbage--everything goes in the garbage here- they even take computers with the regular trash.

i would just trash it. If your local trash goes to an incinerator or a separating location, they screen the trash first with a huge magnet. If the toaster is metal it will get pulled out and recycled, otherwise, it will melt in the fire. If it goes to a landfill and is buried, it will be there forever!

You can just throw it in the trash.

GARBAGE POLICE? They REALLY have people who go through your garbage?

First put it in a trash bag. Then on garbage day put the trash bag at the curb. But that's just me. I'm old fashioned.

I do my best not to contribute to unnecessary garbage in the world, so I'll take the time to try to find the best possible way to get rid of something. It bugs the heck out of me to see some of the stuff people put out in the trash when there are other, usually very simple, options that don't load up landfills.

I have a booklet of the recycling rules and regulations for our town (printed off from the town's website) where I can easily look up something that I want to get rid of. I just looked, and in our town, toasters are on the list for tossing in the recycling bin (as are irons, so I can get rid of the one sitting on my shelf that I've been meaning to look up and get rid of :thumbsup2).

I never thought much of it until a few years back when a new dad was fined some ridiculous amount like $250 because one baby food jar accidentally ended up in with their regular trash.. I don't even think it was the parents, but rather a sitter that tossed it in the wastebasket with a bunch of other junk.. They were able to trace it back to him by other things in the bag (I'm assuming junk mail) with their name and address on it..

I know recycling is important, but that's insane for a first time offense! :eek:

:confused3 Where in the world is recycling MANDATORY? With a fine?:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter