Does anyone know the proper way to dispose of an old toaster?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by AnnetteF, Nov 10, 2009.

1. AnnetteF

AnnetteF DIS Veteran

Can I just put it in the trash? It's an old 4 slice toaster - one side doesn't even work anymore and the other side isn't reliable either, so I can't give it away to anyone. I've been looking around on our town websites for this answer but can't seem to find the answer. Tried calling our sanitation co. but I just get voice mail. Does anyone know?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Boo'sMom

Boo'sMom <font color=teal>Talks to the people in LK's head<

why can't you just throw it out with the trash? :confused:

4. sbell111

sbell111 <font color=blue>I don't care if people walk slowl

There's nothing hazardous in a toaster. I would just chunk it in the trash.

5. AnnetteF

AnnetteF DIS Veteran

That's exactly what I did. With all the emphasis on recycling everything these days, I was just afraid the garbage police might come after me. Just to be safe, I put it in the box from my new toaster, put it in a plastic bag, and then buried it under a whole lot of other garbage in our bin.

6. C.Ann

C.Ann <font color=green>We'll remember when...<br><font

I never thought much of it until a few years back when a new dad was fined some ridiculous amount like $250 because one baby food jar accidentally ended up in with their regular trash.. I don't even think it was the parents, but rather a sitter that tossed it in the wastebasket with a bunch of other junk.. They were able to trace it back to him by other things in the bag (I'm assuming junk mail) with their name and address on it..

I know recycling is important, but that's insane for a first time offense! :eek:

I'm very, very careful with my garbage here - although I know for a fact they don't "search" through it like that other town does.. Anythng "iffy" gets sent home with my DD's DH and he has permission to get rid of everything and anything in his employers dumpster..

7. dismom2

dismom2 <font color=blue>It bothers me to inhale my exhale

I would just throw it in the trash. If you're worried someone might take it out and use it, cut the cord off of it. With larger appliances, sometimes we just take stuff directly to the dump,or if it still works, we donate it.

8. jlima

jlima Beep Beep!

:scared1:

You're kidding, right?

If it troubles you this much, this is my solution . . . I would give it to Goodwill or Salvation Army, because they will test it before they put in on a shelf; and when they figure out it doesn't work, they will put it in their recycling bin.

9. aprilgail2

aprilgail2 Guest

Throw it in the garbage--everything goes in the garbage here- they even take computers with the regular trash.

10. Sosai X

Sosai X Vaguely grouchy

i would just trash it. If your local trash goes to an incinerator or a separating location, they screen the trash first with a huge magnet. If the toaster is metal it will get pulled out and recycled, otherwise, it will melt in the fire. If it goes to a landfill and is buried, it will be there forever!

11. C.Ann

C.Ann <font color=green>We'll remember when...<br><font

No, I'm not kidding.. Absolutely insane!! :eek:

12. I Am What I Am

I Am What I Am <font color=green><marquee>Pie builds amazing frie

You can just throw it in the trash.

GARBAGE POLICE? They REALLY have people who go through your garbage?

13. DisneyBrideToni

DisneyBrideToni <font color=deeppink>Proud BLT DVC Owner<br><font

Is it a nuclear toaster?

I say chuck it in the garbage. :thumbsup2

14. james'mommy

james'mommy <font color=green>I've always been a green stripe

First put it in a trash bag. Then on garbage day put the trash bag at the curb. But that's just me. I'm old fashioned.

15. MaryAnnDVC

MaryAnnDVC "Mare", DISing since '99; prefers being tagless

I do my best not to contribute to unnecessary garbage in the world, so I'll take the time to try to find the best possible way to get rid of something. It bugs the heck out of me to see some of the stuff people put out in the trash when there are other, usually very simple, options that don't load up landfills.

I have a booklet of the recycling rules and regulations for our town (printed off from the town's website) where I can easily look up something that I want to get rid of. I just looked, and in our town, toasters are on the list for tossing in the recycling bin (as are irons, so I can get rid of the one sitting on my shelf that I've been meaning to look up and get rid of :thumbsup2).

16. BelleWDW

BelleWDW DIS Veteran

:confused3 Where in the world is recycling MANDATORY? With a fine?:confused: