Does anyone know anything about the Toyota RAV4h?

1GoldenSun

DIS Veteran
We're trying to decide whether to keep my recently deceased FIL's vehicle or sell it back to the dealership. It's a 2019 Toyota RAV 4 hybrid limited, has around 8000 miles on it, and I think it has most of the upgrades except for the heated steering wheel and the running boards. The dealership offered my husband $28,900 to buy it back. We don't know how much he paid for it.

We've been thinking about getting me a new car for a while anyway. I've been driving a 2006 Lexus RX 400 hybrid forever, which we bought used, and it has well over 200,000 miles on it. It's still going strong with only the occasional need for repair, but I'd like a newer vehicle with the latest safety features, plus mine is just getting a little...tired looking.

I've really, really loved my Lexus and would definitely consider getting another used one, maybe a 2015 or newer. I don't mind slightly older used cars at all. I'm wondering if it would make more sense financially to keep the Toyota or to sell it back to the dealership and use that money to buy a used Lexus. And even if it would definitely be more economical to keep the Toyota (which I'm guessing it probably would be), how much of a difference would it make, considering I would probably prefer another Lexus.

I have not driven or even sat in the Toyota so I might love it or I might hate it; I don't know (it's far away in another state right now).

Do any "car people" know anything about this vehicle or specifically how it would compare to a Lexus RX 400 hybrid SUV?

We bought our son a Toyota rav 4 when he turned 16. It is a fantastic vehicle. But, if I was used to driving a Lexus, I would be unhappy stepping down to a rav 4.

We bought our son a Toyota rav 4 when he turned 16. It is a fantastic vehicle. But, if I was used to driving a Lexus, I would be unhappy stepping down to a rav 4.
LOL. The Lexus marketing people are smiling since Lexus is just a Toyota with a higher price tag (and profit margin) We have a 2020 Camry Hybrid, our neighbor has a Lexus ES 300 H. His car has about $2,500 we figure in added content, but cost $12,000 more. https://www.cars.com/research/compare/?vehicles=lexus-es_300h-2020,toyota-camry_hybrid-2020

If your far from the actual car you are probably still close to a Toyota dealership.

Go test drive one at a local dealership. Multiple times if needed to make up your mind.

We're trying to decide whether to keep my recently deceased FIL's vehicle or sell it back to the dealership. It's a 2019 Toyota RAV 4 hybrid limited, has around 8000 miles on it, and I think it has most of the upgrades except for the heated steering wheel and the running boards. The dealership offered my husband $28,900 to buy it back. We don't know how much he paid for it.

We've been thinking about getting me a new car for a while anyway. I've been driving a 2006 Lexus RX 400 hybrid forever, which we bought used, and it has well over 200,000 miles on it. It's still going strong with only the occasional need for repair, but I'd like a newer vehicle with the latest safety features, plus mine is just getting a little...tired looking.

I've really, really loved my Lexus and would definitely consider getting another used one, maybe a 2015 or newer. I don't mind slightly older used cars at all. I'm wondering if it would make more sense financially to keep the Toyota or to sell it back to the dealership and use that money to buy a used Lexus. And even if it would definitely be more economical to keep the Toyota (which I'm guessing it probably would be), how much of a difference would it make, considering I would probably prefer another Lexus.

I have not driven or even sat in the Toyota so I might love it or I might hate it; I don't know (it's far away in another state right now).

Do any "car people" know anything about this vehicle or specifically how it would compare to a Lexus RX 400 hybrid SUV?
Logged in this am just to reply. FIL easily paid $40k +/- depending on accessory packages. DH has a 2020 RAVh Limited with all available options. We were very surprised that RAVh didn’t feel much different from a RX. DH upgraded from a more basic 2017 RAVh. While we have never owned an RX, we have much driving experience with them. DH worked Toyota and Lexus operations for 16+ of the last 20 years, so we spent a lot of time in numerous models and years of both lines. You can always trade it in for a RX in the future.

Toyota Limiteds usually have all the upgrades available for mid range Lexus. In fact, much of the tech is introduced in Toyota 1st. There is little difference between the body size. There are so many new safety features in current autos (huge nav screens, integrated phone tech, lane change notifications, etc.), you likely may not even feel a “downgrade.”

Thanks everyone!

I truly don't care about the supposed "status" of the Lexus. We got a good deal on it at the time we were looking for a car, and as it turned out, that particular vehicle just worked out really well for me. It was the perfect size, it was super comfortable, and it had very few mechanical problems. We also had a good experience with Lexus when the dashboard cracked, as it apparently was a common problem. They replaced it for free, in a timely manner, gave me a loaner car to drive, and overall were just very professional about it.

I did not know that Lexus and Toyota are "related!" That's very good to know. If I've enjoyed driving my Lexus, maybe I'll like the Toyota too. I was a little hesitant to test drive a vehicle at the dealership, wasting their time, etc. when I know I won't be purchasing one, but I suppose that's something they're probably pretty used to. And who knows, maybe we'll love it and purchase another one some day! We ended up liking my Lexus so much that my husband bought one of their sedans a few years later; we could now become a Toyota family, haha.

I'll go try it out and make my decision based on that, but unless I just truly dislike it (which is unlikely), it seems like it makes the most sense to keep it.

I have a 2016 RAV4 hybrid. I've had it for 4 years and have no intention of getting anything else. I love it. I test drove Lexus's before buying and couldn't see the value in them. The 2019 RAV4 gets even better mileage than mine - almost 40 mpg. I would love to have your FILs vehicle. The limited is the highest version. With 8000 miles on it, it's probably worth $35-36K. There's a forum dedicated to RAV4 owners with a special section for hybrid owners. https://www.rav4world.com/forums/4-5-rav4-electric-hybrid.201/

I drove the same brand of car - three of them, two wagons & one convertible - for many, many years until I was in a accident and my convertible was totaled. They don't import or make the convertibles anymore or I would have gotten another one without even blinking a eye. So I thought maybe I'd try another brand. It's fine, and it's probably considered 'luxury' but I kick myself every single day for not just going back to the brand I had been driving, just a different model.
So I say, if you really, really like the car you have, get a new one of those. I wish I had.

Just my 2 cents.

I have a Rav4 and I love it. I've driven Toyotas for 20 years now due to their reliability. We bought DD a Rav4 when she was in college and just driving it the 4 hours to deliver to her made me want one. It was the only vehicle I looked at a year ago when my 2001 Camry finally died on me and the needed part would need to be tracked down at a salvage yard.

However, I have never driven a Lexus so who knows if it would feel like a step down for you.

A brand new car for free? I don’t care what make and model it is, I would be driving it until it died. You can’t beat free.

I drive a 2006 accord. I love my car but I’m starting to look around at cars and #1 on my list right now is a RAV4. Doesn’t hurt that my uncle is the sales manager for a local Toyota dealership either.

I don't have the hybrid (yet - that may be my next one) but I love my RAV4! I'd say definitely give it a try.

We have the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid limited, and if we had to keep only one car that would be the one. It gets 40-44 mpg in the summer (less in the winter), and it is easy and smooth to drive. I like the new safety features, and the 360 bird's eye view camera is very helpful. The auto high beam feature is a nice touch. It can be loud on acceleration, and the touchscreen menu is not intuitive. Ours has the heated steering wheel, and it's not heated all the way around so that particular feature isn't all that great.

I second the suggestion to take one for a test drive to see if you like it. We are happy with ours.

I did not know that Lexus and Toyota are "related!"
A Lexus is a fancy version of a Toyota
An Infiniti is a fancy version of a Nissan
An Acura is a fancy version of a Honda
A Lincoln is a fancy version of a Ford

There are a few models unique to the luxury brands, but most of the models get their engines and underpinnings from the lesser cost brand.

I have a non-hybrid 2019 Rav-4. I love it. It's a VERY comfortable car to drive and has way more cargo space than the previous body style (pre 2019). My husband sells Toyotas and they can't keep the hybrids on the lot at his dealership. Your FIL paid way more than you're being offered for that vehicle. If you go test drive at a dealership, please be honest with the dealership about your purpose for being there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter