Does anyone know about the medical emergency......

Mckys#1Fan

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know about the medical emergency that occurred Friday night, Jan. 16 at EPCOT. It was about 6:45 p.m. and we were heading to get a spot for Illuminations and the bridge area in front of Soarin' was closed and we were directed to walk around it. When we walked around toward the Sea's area then back toward Soarin' that is when we saw a male down with emergency personnel working with him doing chest compressions. I have tried to find out about his condition but I haven't had any luck.

Chest compressions = cardiac arrest.
Sounds bad. I hope the person will be ok.

While it doesn't sound good, we can all hope for the best.

Because of privacy concerns, the CM's at WDw wouldn't be able to tell you anything about what happened to the guest.

Yes, I know this family. The man who was "down" is a very good friend of our very good friends. I just learned about it today - it was apparently a heart attack. He's still alive, and in a hospital down there (we are trying to figure out where) awaiting heart surgery. He was indeed dead, but between his daughter starting chest compressions immediately and disney personnel with paddles, he was revived, thank goodness. I've only met him a few times, but he is a great guy - funny as all get out. Please pray for the family.

Thank goodness his daughter and the CM had level heads and knew where the defibrillator was and how to use it! Hope sugery goes well and the man is ok.

Thank you so much for the update. My heart totally sank when I saw all of this happening on Friday night. We did go on to view Illuminations.... but all I could think about was this man and his family. I will continue to pray for a successful surgery and a full recovery.

This is the reason why I just took at CPR class. It is a good thing to know how to do CPR and how to use the AED properly.

Prayers go out to him and his family!

I had to use an AED at the YMCA a couple of months ago... I'm in the medical field (I'm a physician assistant) so I knew my way around, but I would highly encourage anyone reading this to get themsleves into a CPR class. With the wider use of automatic external defibrillators lives can be saved, and everyone should know how to use them...

Oh wow....prayers and pixie dust to him for a successful surgery and quick recovery!pixiedust: Good thing for the quick response of his daughter...and that had to be terrifying for her! And doubly good that there was an AED near by.

Hi Mickeys#1fan- here's another update. We had dinner tonight with our friends who are the friends of this man (confused yet?) Anyway, it was not a heart attack, our initial information was wrong. Apparently it's an "electrical problem", so he's awaiting pacemaker/defib surgery tomorrow and doing fine otherwise. He was up in a chair joking around with our friend on the phone tonight. He's had heart trouble in the past, so they are watching his heart closely, but so so far, so good. Looks like he was one of the lucky ones.......but please, continue to pray for a safe surgery and safe return home for he and his family. There was like 25 of them in all - travelling together for a big birthday bash for his wife. I feel so bad for all of them.

How sad that happened to him, and worse that it happened during that big family celebration at Disney World. Thank goodness that his daughter knew what to do, AND that the CM was quick with the AED. Hopefully the surgery will go well, and he'll have many more trips to Disney in the future.

Just another confirmation that early defib and CPR can save lives!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter