Does anyone have Betta Fish?

Stitch's O'hana

<font color=blue>Gone broke buying Tag Fairy love
I got a 1 gallon Aqueon Mini Bow Fish Aquarium for Christmas, it's one thing I had on my Christmas list and I got one!

Anyway I am thinking I would like to upgrade to either the 2.5 or the 5.0 gallon Aqueon Fish Aquarim( it's from Petsmart). I can't go any bigger then the 5.0 gallon. But I am wondering what size would be the best to get for one Betta Fish & a Snail( I heard getting a snail is a good idea, to help keep the aquarium clean)? I am new to Fish and have never had any fish before, so I am trying to do my homework on it. But thought I would come here and find out what others have to say about it too.

Thanks in advance!:goodvibes

A friend of mine has done extensive research on Bettas, and she said never put a snail in with a Betta. She also said that they thrive best in 1-2 gallon tanks because it helps regulate their water temperature.

We have a beta for dd..the tank is 2 gallons I believe and the only thing we have in it is the fish.

Betta fish prefer small bowls/tanks as they originally lived in small puddles/pools. I have never heard of a snail with a betta and always had just the fish. We actually have our fish living in an old flower vase right now.

So from you guy's have said, I should be just fine with my 1 gallon little tank.
I just get so confused on what tank is right to have, some people have been saying I need at least the 5 gallon tank and others say the 1 gallon or 2.5 gallon is just fine.:confused3 I have been going on forums where they talk about how to care for different fish and someone had on their that they have a snail with their betta fish. So it's not a good idea to have the snail in with the betta fish? Will the betta fish try to fight it/ kill it?

I am going to be making a trip to Petsmart this coming Friday and hope the people that work their will be able to tell me more too. As I still need to get some more items to set up the tank before I get the fish.

Thanks everyone for your info.!:goodvibes

We have a Betta fish. It is in the bowl by itself. They do like to sleep in weeds (plastic) so we bought one for the middle and sure enough it sleeps in there all the time. Apparently they like to hide in it. We also bought the colored rocks to weigh dwon the plastic weeds (I guess you would call it a weed??)

Our fish lived in my Pampered Chef Trifle bowl for awhile :lmao: until we got a fishbowl..:rotfl2:

Our betta, Penelope lived in a 1.5 gallon Little Mermaid tank and did really well. PetSmart suggested a small tank, and once my dd saw an Ariel tank, we had to get it. We also had a snail, (named Bologna!) :lmao: and it cohabitated very nicely with Penelope. All of it was purchased at PetSmart; I would highly suggest getting a snail too, less cleaning up for you and they sure are fun to watch! :thumbsup2

Good luck!

My betta lives in a small bowl in he bathroom, he has a plastic 'weed' and some rocks. He's going on a year old. I don't mess with the water as far as cleaning, I do water changes with distiller water as needed ( about 20% of the water is changed) and feed him the pellets (they dont cloud the water)

Our betta fish lives in a bowl that is less than 1 gallon. We also have the plastic plant and colored pebbles. Our fish is 5 years old. I feed him about twice a week and his water stays clear. I only have to clean his bowl about every 6 months. I do add water every few weeks.

every response is so different!

DS9 has a Beta fish in a 2 gallon tank. He decked it out with a filter, nightlight, and a sunken boat :laughing:....but I swear that fish loves it! He hangs out in the boat where it's kinda hidden, and they say fish aren't smart--but I swear that little thing knows when it's feeding time. Every night we feed him and when we walk into the room before bed he starts right up to the same place where we feed him everyday.

I also read only feed him 3 or 4 pellets every day or so......well the thing keep hanging around the "feeding area" so we bumped it up to feeding him every day. He's been with us about a year now. :thumbsup2

ETA: we change his water about once a month, because I'm worried it'll start stinking....

every response is so different!

DS9 has a Beta fish in a 2 gallon tank. He decked it out with a filter, nightlight, and a sunken boat :laughing:....but I swear that fish loves it! He hangs out in the boat where it's kinda hidden, and they say fish aren't smart--but I swear that little thing knows when it's feeding time. Every night we feed him and when we walk into the room before bed he starts right up to the same place where we feed him everyday.

I also read only feed him 3 or 4 pellets every day or so......well the thing keep hanging around the "feeding area" so we bumped it up to feeding him every day. He's been with us about a year now. :thumbsup2

ETA: we change his water about once a month, because I'm worried it'll start stinking....

That's what I was thinking, it's also what makes me get so :confused3 on what to get and do! I guess though everyone has to first start out somewhere and learn as you go too.

I have seen two different boats at Petsmart, that I thought would be really cool. Sounds like your son's fish has a very nice set up!

Thanks everyone for all your info. and sharing your experience and what you do to take care of your Betta Fish!:thumbsup2 This all really helps me out!

We *had* a betta until she died over the weekend while we were gone. She was such a cute fish - also came up to the same spot whenever we walked in the room. She had not been herself for the last several weeks so I think it was her time. Thankfully we had yet to open Santa presents and found the fish first. We had a quick burial at sea & opened presents before DD10 could get too distraught.

She had a 5 gallon tank w/filter & heater because the water was getting too chilly. She also lived w/snails & had no problems with them as far as I know. We had her & snails since March togther in the same tank. THey are fun to watch.

DD will be picking out a new fish of some kind tomorrow.

Hi:
We kept our Betta in a small tank. That fish survived for the longest time (years). It even survived through a kool-aide mishap. I was cleaning the bowl and left water in a pitcher to adjust to room temp. I went to change the baby and told my husband to pour the water into the tank and move the fish from the holding tank. I walk back to the kitchen and the fish is swimming in red kool aid. My husband says "what did you put in this water"? Needless-to-say, I got the poor fish out as quickly as possible.

I loved our Betta!

My DD received her Beta as a party favor three years ago. We went to petsmart and purchased their tank set. The set included the tank, colored rocks, a plastic plant and I think water conditioner. It was around 15.00. (That was the most expensive "party favor":rotfl2:).

I got my betta about three months ago at Petsmart. He lives in a goldfish bowl with a plastic dinosaur we had around the house. I also bought the betta pellets (I was told the Aquarian brand was best), and water conditioner.

I change the water every week to 10 days.

I just dropped a beta bulb in the bowl. Looks like it is beginning to sprout.

He is a very responsive fish. He lives on the divider counter between my kitchen and dining room. He always swims to see what is going on.

If you hold a camera up to the side of the tank, he blows himself up to look impressive. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

I got my betta about three months ago at Petsmart. He lives in a goldfish bowl with a plastic dinosaur we had around the house. I also bought the betta pellets (I was told the Aquarian brand was best), and water conditioner.

I change the water every week to 10 days.

I just dropped a beta bulb in the bowl. Looks like it is beginning to sprout.

He is a very responsive fish. He lives on the divider counter between my kitchen and dining room. He always swims to see what is going on.

If you hold a camera up to the side of the tank, he blows himself up to look impressive. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

What is a beta bulb?

I've had bettas.. LOVE them! TONS of personality! But no. 1 gallon isn't big enough if you want a "happy and healthy" betta. They WILL get bigger and prettier in a bigger tank. Mine were always in 5 gallon tanks and flourished. That size usually comes with a heater, lights, etc. That size,, you can get plants to put in as well.

You CAN keep him in a 1 gallon.. my first betta started out in a 1 gal.. but THRIVED when I moved him into a 5 gal. And I didn't have to clean it as often;)

It's not true that "since they live in puddles in the wild they're fine in small bowls as pets"...

http://www.petstoreabuse.com/betta.html

"The main argument for keeping bettas in such small containers is that, in the wild, they are used to not having any swimming space. This is a MYTH.

During the wet season, bettas live in flooded rice paddies that allow ample room for swimming. Even during the dry season, when the paddies dry out into puddles, the puddles are still connected, allowing for a complete ecosystem - something Betta Bowls can't come close to providing.

These bowls also do not allow for proper temperatures. Bettas are native to Thailand where the climate is very hot and moist. Bettas in small bowls are often listless and lethargic because the water temperature is too low. Although bettas can survive at lower temperatures, they will not display normal behavior.

Under the right temperature range (76-86°F), bettas are normally very active fish. They love to swim and will learn to surface for feeding time when a hand appears over the bowl."

CinRell is right. You want a heater, light, nice sized tank, and plants for them to sleep/hide in. My roommates' betta liked nylon plants, but you don't want any with pieces that stick out that he could scratch himself on. He got very attached to that plant, so when it was starting to look pretty decrepit she replaced it and he sulked until it was put back in! :rotfl:

Please read the article CinRell provided, and also try sites run by betta enthusiasts to get good info:
http://www.bettafish.com/
http://www.firsttankguide.net/betta.php

They are fantastic fish and if you get a good one they have fun personalities and will interact with you a lot. Best of luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter