• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone have a mini-split ductless air conditioner system?

bjscheel

(Avatar art by my daughter)
We are trying to figure out how to cool our upstairs. The downstairs doesn't get that hot, but upstairs does.

Central air wouldn't work very well because there is only one duct that goes upstairs. It goes to our bedroom and there are 2 other bedrooms that need cooling. Plus the furnace heat that gets to our bedroom is pretty weak.

Window air conditioners- half of our windows won't fit one, the others I would like to leave available to open up at night. As long as it is not super hot and humid, we like to just open up to the cool night air for our cooling.

Through-the-wall- this was our intention, but DH is dreading cutting through the house. Then, wouldn't you need replacements to be the same size?

Portable- we have limited floor space in the hallway, and would have to partially obstruct my new favorite window. Reviews are mixed.

Today I have found mini-split ductless a/c. I haven't yet figured out how it all works, but if anyone has experience with it, I would love to hear what you think. My husband is very handy, so he might be able to install. I'm wondering if we could get away with one piece- there are three bedrooms around a hallway- one on the west, east, and north. Our doors are pretty close together and we keep the doors open. Or would we need one for every bedroom?

We would really like something quiet, and with mini-split the compressor is outside so they are supposed to be quiet. Any advice appreciated!

Your husband could certainly install this system if he's the least bit handy. About all it requires is a roughly 3" hole in the wall approximately 6-10" from the ceiling. The only thing he probably could not do is charge the system with refrigerant. That you need to leave to the pros.
Now for the system...I believe you can get a system with 3 indoor units all operating from 1 outside compressor unit. That way each room would have it's own thermostat and be individually controlled. I don't have any experience with multi room units, so I can't say whether your husband could install or not, but I would think it's not much more difficult than a single room unit...just more connections.
It may be possible to get by with only a single room unit with the addition of fans to circulate the air into/out of the other rooms, but I don't think it would be very efficient and if you had visitors staying that wanted the door closed they would not have any a/c.
These units are very quiet and have various features like rotating louvers to circulate air thoroughly around a room. I think all of them operate with remote controls since the unit it high on the wall.
What type of windows do you have that preclude window a/c units?

Two bedrooms each have one large horizontal slider window. I suppose you could get one to fit one of those, but then I have the issue of not having a window to open without removing the a/c.

We have one in DD9's regular window right now- her room is cold and the other two rooms get slightly less intolerable. A box fan in the hallway pointed to our room helps. Also dealing with small numbers of outlets in this old house!

The more I am reading, the more I think this is the perfect solution. Other than cost!

I was going to suggest units that fit slider windows (if that was what you had), but you're right...you can not open the window without removing the unit. Plus the vertical unit blocks a substantial part of your view out the window.
I think the mini split system is your best bet for your upstairs. More so in light of the fact that you're running out of outlets in your older home.

Another option is one you already suggested...through the wall. What you can do is plan it so that if you decide to remove the a/c unit in the future, you then install a window in it's place.

The cost is quite a bit more than a window unit/wall installation for sure, but I think well worth it. The systems I've seen lately are running about $1000 for a single room unit.

At one time a few years ago, I saw a portable mini split system. The fan/condenser unit sat on the floor with an encased cable/refrigerant lines running out a window to the compressor unit. Basically the window only had to be open enough to pass the cables and lines...approximately 1/2". I've looked on occasion and can't find these any longer so I don't think they're being made any longer.

We have an old Sanyo 3 room system which our plumber kindly broke for us (very long story).

Anyway, the downstairs one was in our living room, then the other 2 were upstairs in our guest room and master bedroom. Don't expect the air to get beyond your bedroom door. Our master bedroom one wasn't big enough and barely cooled the room even with a ceiling fan on, so when we replace the system we are getting more btu's and a bigger unit for the wall.

All 3 units vent to the outside and are run to an outside compressor that looks like a central a/c unit.

To replace the broken system (we can't upgrade because ours is so old the new units don't have the same wiring) we've been quoted between 8 and $10,000 and we already have all the venting, etc in place. I don't know how easy they are to put in, but from what i've read, they are rather tricky. Plus the cost is really in the units themselves, so I don't know how much you'll save doing it on your own. An a/c company can give you quotes for free to find out. I priced out the units on our own to see if we bought them and then had them installed if it would be cheaper, it wasn't

We are currently making do with windonw units upstairs, but our downstairs windows are 110 years old and someone somewhere along the long did something to them so they won't open, we've had several people try, so no a/c downstairs. The sanyo system is better than window units for sure, just make sure you have the right btu for your room size and don't expect it to cool your hallways. Also, from the reviews I've read and the 3 a/c quotes everyone says Sanyo has the best system and not to bother with the others, they aren't any better than a window unit. Also, pay extra for the unit that has automatic movers on the a/c unit. This will move the vents around to keep the air circulating, rather than just blowing in one direction. Only our living room had that, we'll get it for all 3 when we get it fixed.

Also, with the sanyo system I'm sure you'll have to have outlets added and a new breaker put in. Our unit was put in long before we moved in, but all 3 units are on their own breaker and all plug into the wall behind the unit so you can't see the plug. An electrician can easily do this even in an old home. We've had 5 or 6 added since we moved in. It wasn't too expensive.

We just paid $3,000 for a single unit for a single room. It is extremely quiet, inside and out, but when it is very hot, it is difficult to cool the one room (gameroom). I don't see how one unit would cool three bedrooms and a hall, but that's just my opinion. Ours is a Sanyo. Pipe was put into wall, with a drain going outside and it has its own breaker.

Sounds like this unit was not sized correctly.
One thing that a professional should do is also take into consideration Heat Gain.
Obviously a West facing wall will absorb vastly more heat than will a North facing wall which will eventually saturate the insulation and radiate into the room and that needs to be figured in when sizing an a/c unit correctly. They should also taking into consideration the amount of insulation in the walls, the square footage of window area, amount of insulation in the attic...and so on.

If you can, you might find ways to provide shade to the house or wall. Trees, vines, lattice, whatever will greatly reduce the amount of heat transferred into the house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter