• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone have a favorite beach destination from WDW?

We found both to be very nice.

Lori

5/1997 Off site, 2/2000 Off site, 2/2001 Poly, 10/2001 POFQ, AKL & Magic, 1/2002 ASMo & AKL, 12/2002 CSR & CR

Yay2001- I think your post was one I read which helped with our decision. We ARE used to nice resorts and are booked at the Don Cesar. I guess Disney has spoiled me:rolleyes: :D ! Certainly not a budget trip, but one we look forward too and should enjoy:) ! St Pete and Clearwater beaches really are nice. There are other pretty gulf beaches in the panhandle, but that would be quite a drive for you. You could also do the beach at the end of your trip as a way to unwind.:)

Any suggestions for a good sandy beach (with shells!), without a ton of people? We will just be driving with uor 7 m. old DD, and want a decent place without a huge hassle, or drive!

Thanks!

Only 15 days to go...I'm already losing sleep!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

We ususally do Datona Beach for a day trip. Leave WDW early.....9am and return around 7pm. But we learned last year....timing is everything if you like the ocean. We were there in late April.....the water was COLD!! So instead of swimming we rode the motorcycles. We did have alot of fun!!! Not crowded because it was a school day.
I am not one that really enjoys the cars driving on the beach either, nor do I like swimming in the ocean.....but DH and DD like Daytona.

This year we were thinking Clearwater for a day or Vero Beach.
Can anyone tell me how long of a drive from WDW to either of these???
Just looking for a day trip too.;)

I vote for Pass-A-Grille beach. It's quiet, beautiful and the perfect place to get away from it all. We will be there for 4 days in late April and can't wait to go!

I like the Neptune Inn on Ft Myers Beach. It's a small family run hotel. It has two swimming pools right by the beach, gas grills for guests to use, and 4 or 6 person rooms with kitchenettes. It's not a luxury hotel and there is no restaurant attached with the hotel although there is plenty within walking distance of the hotel, and it is clean, friendly and right on the beach for a reasonable price.

Just an update since I posted this question... We decided to go with the familiar and stay at Cocoa Beach again. We got a good rate at the Doubletree, which has direct beach access. The hotel was good--the room was slightly worn, but the lobby, hallways, restaurant and outdoor areas were very nice.

We were only there for one night, arrived around 1:30 and planned to drive on to Orlando the next day. The weather was cold and windy on arrival day--way too cold to swim. We walked on the beach and had a great dinner at the Atlantic Ocean Grille on the Cocoa Beach Pier. The next day we had brunch at the Three Wishes Restaurant at the hotel, changed into swimsuits and packed up the car. Then we spent the afternoon on the beach before rinsing off, putting shorts on over our suits and heading to Orlando. The weather was much better--although the water was still too cold for me. My ocean-loving daughters didn't seem to mind and we had a great day.

I agree with one of the other posters that when we are used to the pristine Disney-style vacation, many other places seem dirty and tacky. This was really proven to me with this trip where we were offsite at WDW. Our hotel in Kissimmee was beautiful and very clean, but we were offended by the cheap souvenir stands and such. We really have been spoiled by Disney!!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am taking notes for our next trip!

Sher

Pokey's Mom would you mind telling me where you stay in New Smyrna and where the park is that you can swim with the manatees. We will be there in May. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter