Does anyone go to Disney without DH?

We are doing it for the first time...we leave on Saturday. Leaving my DH and youngest DD2 at home. Just me, my mom and DD4. My grandmother died in July and this was a last minute decision to enjoy some of the money she left us and honor her by having some fun.

My mom has never stayed at the Poly before and has always wanted to. This will be a nice treat for all of us after a very difficult summer.

Not yet, but I sure do plan on it! :) When my youngest is a little bit older we'll go for a girls only trip.

We are not taking DH in December. At first, he was thrilled no to go. Now, I think he is sorry he opted out.

I get such a kick out of this thread... its like asking an alcoholic in denial if he thinks its okay for you to have another drink... anybody taking wagers on the answer?

The self justification and mass delusion here boggles my mind. I for one could not be any more clear to my DW about how I feel about her continually going without me. But threads like this just keep her going and get her believing that because I have a problem with it, it is something wrong with me... Dont get me wrong, she has gone about 3 times without me and I was okay with it the first two. The third time (recently) was different, I did not want her to go and felt like I would be the bad guy if I said no. Its just not right to be put in that position. (we discussed this by the way so when she reads she should not be surprised). Anyway, I will deal with my own house and relationships but...

Really ladies... asking other ladies if it is okay to go without your husband is just not right. Ask your DH! If he is okay then fine. But if he isn't don't come here looking for support or encouragement to disappoint him.

I am reasonbly certain that I will be the lone voice on this forum to speak this way. After all, you don't go to a bar to find people who feel strongly about not drinking alcohol.

Rant complete.

My dad hasn't been since the first year it opened! We go me,my mom and my sister and we have a blast. We call it a girl's vacation and just have fun.

threeboysdad said:
Really ladies... asking other ladies if it is okay to go without your husband is just not right. Ask your DH! If he is okay then fine. But if he isn't don't come here looking for support or encouragement to disappoint him.

I am reasonbly certain that I will be the lone voice on this forum to speak this way. After all, you don't go to a bar to find people who feel strongly about not drinking alcohol.

Rant complete.

At the risk of opening up a serious kettle of fish, you aren't the only one who makes the decision at home rather than with strangers.

If Husband (or Wife, as the case may be) says 'Go', all the better, and a good time will be had by all. If he or she says 'I'd rather you didn't', it is my OPINION that's one of the compromises they talked about in our marriage vows. Turn it around... what if hubby wanted to go to Vegas and his wife didn't want him to, how would she feel if his buddys all said, 'Yah, go! You've got the right to do what you want', and that's how he came to a decision?

Not looking to stir up a debate about something that's just an opinion on my part, nothing more, nothing less, and not meant to be a comment on what anyone here should or shouldn't do, and the OP has the right to ask the question and get a variety of answers. I just wanted you to know you're not alone in your viewpoint. :)

threeboysdad said:
I get such a kick out of this thread... its like asking an alcoholic in denial if he thinks its okay for you to have another drink... anybody taking wagers on the answer?

The self justification and mass delusion here boggles my mind. I for one could not be any more clear to my DW about how I feel about her continually going without me. But threads like this just keep her going and get her believing that because I have a problem with it, it is something wrong with me... Dont get me wrong, she has gone about 3 times without me and I was okay with it the first two. The third time (recently) was different, I did not want her to go and felt like I would be the bad guy if I said no. Its just not right to be put in that position. (we discussed this by the way so when she reads she should not be surprised). Anyway, I will deal with my own house and relationships but...

Rant complete.

I feel most posters on this thread are looking for support regarding traveling alone with children or wondering if missing their DH will put too much of a damper on the trip. It seems that most husbands are very supportive of the decision and are unable to go due to scheduling conflicts or lack of interest.

I know when my husband first told me to take the kids and go back in 1998, I was rather ambivilent. We made the decision between us, but I sure would have welcomed some support and wisdom from those who had done it before.

I do often see people asking for advice on very person decisions on message boards and am usually bemused by it. I just don't think that iswhat is happening here. Telling someone to disregard their spouse's is messy business and very different than offering support for a mutual decision.

My DH actually is relieved when I go to WDW without him. He knows that's the trip when I'll do all the Fantasyland rides over and over again, stand in line for the characters, wave frantically at Mickey in the Jammin Jungle Parade, etc. Then when we go together, he won't be pressured to do IASW or ride Dumbo. He'll do a character meal, but he's not really into acting like a kid when he sees the characters (Well....unless it's Dopey).

threeboysdad said:

Rant complete.

???? Who is looking for justification? I felt the OP was wondering if she could handle the kids without her DH and if she would miss. Thankfully most of us here don't need permission to do anything without their DHs. My DH does not mind a bit if I go without him. I don't mind when he goes on his golf trips. We have our together trips and our apart trips and we love them all!

I leave Sunday. DH says he will decide at last minute if he is going. There will be 9 of us (we have no children). I told him it was totally up to him, that I would rather him stay at home and be happy then go and bring me down. He wants to go, but just hates to be away from home for more than a couple of days - we are staying 6. Either way, it will be a fun vacation!

Sorry, if my question came across the wrong way.:duck: I was not asking if its ok if I go without my DH. My DH and I decided that ourselfs. I am a little nervous and was glad to see that others feel safe going without there DH. My question was does anyone have suggestions to help my DD(7) not miss her dad so much. (because he is usually with us)
Thanks

JJ's Laughing Place said:
Sorry, if my question came across the wrong way.:duck: I was not asking if its ok if I go without my DH. My DH and I decided that ourselfs. I am a little nervous and was glad to see that others feel safe going without there DH. My question was does anyone have suggestions to help my DD(7) not miss her dad so much. (because he is usually with us)
Thanks

Nothing wrong with your post, although it seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle. :sunny:

How much phone contact will your DD be able to have with her daddy? We have a nationwide cellular plan, which is really nice when I take the kids by myself. It might really help your DD to be able to talk to her daddy at bedtime.

She might also enjoy picking out souveniers she thinks he would enjoy or taking some pics so that she can share her trip with him. Perhaps making a memory book to share with him would help her to feel closer to him esp if she adds to it before going to bed.

I think it's wonderful that your DH and DD are so close :love: The bond between daddies and their little girls can be so precious.

I have not gone alone, yet my husband had a convention their a few years ago, so all of the park time with the children was me alone.
I was very nervous at first as my youngest was still in a stroller and I wanted to bring my own. Yet I discovered I really enjoyed the trip. My husband enjoys disney, although not to the extent that I do. But it was nice being the grown up to make all of the decisions. My oldest was 10 at that point and was a very big help with the younger two.
There were quite a few times that we wished daddy could see things, so we took a lot of pictures. We made a little scrapbook at home to tell the story off all the things we did and the children loved telling him stories of all the adventures.
There are a few things you could do if the kids miss daddy. Have them buy a postcard each day of where they went and draw a picture on the back or write a bit about what they did that day. When you get home, it is a nice little gift to give daddy.
Another trip we took, not to the world but the kids had to miss a week of school. We went to the local teacher supply store and purchased the primary journals. They wrote about the trip in it and drew pictures to match. Not only would it make them feel like they are doing something to make dad feel a part of the trip, it is a great keepsake.
Remember, Disney is such a child oriented place that if you are going to go anywhere without help, this is a great place to do it. I found so many people there willing to help when needed. Good luck should you decide to go.

The last time my DH went to WDW was in 2001 when our kids, his parents, and his sister's family went, too. I have asked him to join me several times since then, and he keeps saying no. When I ask now he says, "I don't want to hear about it any more." So - fine...I will continue to go solo or with the kids because my mom and brother's family live an hour from WDW, and I/we see them, too. I'll be there in 2 weeks because my sister and her family are going then, and also the week after Thanksgiving - when hubby's sister's family will be there again, as well as my oldest daughter. But when my AP expires at the end of November, I'll be cutting back on the WDW trips.

For the record, if my husband wanted to go somewhere that didn't interest me (although I can't think of anyplace I'd NOT be willing to go!) - I'd have no problem with him going without me.

My boys ages 16 and 13 and I go to Disney World every year without DH. He always hated to fly but he did it anyway, up until 9/11 that is. After that there is no way anyone could talk him into flying again. I can't stand the 12 hour drive, he refuses to fly so we just leave DH at home and he's perfectly fine with that. We'll be going without him again on our next trip May 23-31.

Carla :wave2:

I did last Sept. I was in orlando with my boss at a conference. I was very pleasant without him. I didnt have to confer with him about meals, rides, etc.
I would do it again in a heartbeat.

No way, he would kill me!! He's threatened to go to DL without me on his day off though. Just waiting for the day he comes driving up wearing his Mickey ears and says, "But...I brought you a Dole Whip!" It's all in fun...I guess he's as big a Disney freak as me. :love2:

have been going without him since kids were little. he goes sometimes but doesn't like crowds , lines he's going tomorrow. 1st time ourselves DD22 will meet us on fri night and leave sun night with her 2 cousins and his cousin and wife will meet us on sat for 3 nights this is a 1st. my ds20 is going to watch our 3 lb dog I will miss them both we all went to universal in july and took the dog we had a great time
maria

Thanks for all of the comments. We do have nationwide on our cell phones. I know we will be calling a lot and sending photos over the phone. I love the idea about the journal. I am sure this is something that her teacher would like for her to do. As much as I enjoy my husband going. I have to admit it will be nice to be the only adult in charge. (Well, my DD17 will help out a lot). Thanks again for the replys.

JJ's Laughing Place said:
Thanks
I should apologize to you JJ... I was not thinking of your original post... rather several of the posts that followed that in my view seemed to be attempts to relieve guilty conscience...Nothing at all wrong with your question... I had incorrectly focused on some of the posts here that implied a different agenda. I hope your trip goes well...

... now Daisy, not to pick a fight but I chuckled a little over your "thankfully most of us don't need permission"... I think the word you were looking for was consensus. Try this out - "thankfully most of us here do not need to seek consensus in our relationship, we just do what we want"... I get the impression that is what you meant. But you don't need to explain yourself to me. (oh, you already knew that) ;)

(just re-read that... please read last part with toungue very deeply embedded in cheek)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter