• Controversial Topics on DISboards.com. Several months ago I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in opt-out. Click Here

Does anyone fly same day for their cruise?

Thank you for the info. I think I may just phone, any amount is worth piece of mind. I would hate to miss a portion of our cruise because a plane is delayed. I wish I could consider Nov as not winter!! :rolleyes:

If they had to fly you to the first port, that would be Cabo, after a day at sea. I sure wouldn't want to miss that much of the cruise!

Our first cruise was this year, and we thought we were doing it right flying in the day before. We almost didn't make it! A few days before we noticed there would be some weather on the east coast. They airline started looking for options for us, including getting on flights the day of our cruise and there was no option. Our flight that was supposed to be 6pm the day before our cruise didn't get to MCO until 1am. We made it, but by the skin or our teeth. The delays were not because o bad weather in our area (NH) but because of bad weather in Philly which our plane was coming from.

Our next cruise is April and we are flying in four days early!! : )

I would never ever fly in the day of the cruise. I've been on 8 cruises so far and have always flown in AT LEAST a day ahead of time. WAY too risky to fly the day of the cruise for me.

Does anyone schedule their return flight the same day as when the ship returns (9am scheduled docking)?
Is it too risky on that side of the equation to do a same day flight?

We have decided to call DCL and book our flights for the day earlier. When should I do this, now or when we get our package? Does anyone have any ideas where to stay? If we are coming in early, I wouldn't mind doing a little shopping. I have read that the hotels closest to the port don't have any shopping areas near by. Should we stay at a Disney hotel? Would they have transportation from the hotel to the port? :confused: Or would DCL suggest a hotel that would be suitable?

You need to call them now. If you wait until you get your documents then you will already know your flights and then you would be dealing with the airlines change fees and such.

DCL may have a few options of hotels for you and you can ask them about port transfers for your MR cruise.

I have in the past and plan to do it in a few weeks when I catch the Wonder in Vancouver. It's easy for me since I'm a single traveller and I only have carry-on luggage but I do have my conditions.
1. I take the first available flight available to the departure location.
2. I only have carry-on luggage (not possible if my cruise/trip is greater than 15 days).
3. They are several other flights I can take that will get me to the port in time without having to rush.

Does anyone schedule their return flight the same day as when the ship returns (9am scheduled docking)?

We always return home the day of the cruise. We schedule our flight for noon or later. We usually get to the airport at about 10:00 AM

We drive and I even drive up the day before. We have been on driving trips and had the car break down, ...once had to fly for a wedding ,once had to rent a car and leave next day....As far as flying, planes break down all the time...I would never not allow at least a 24 hrs buffer.

These days I'd fly the day before. If you have to change flights in say Atlanta, that is twice the chance of a flight delay or baggage problem. I have flown out the day of and no problem, but one time, we made the ship (not Disney), but the bags did not arrive with us--they were to come in on another flight. Luckily, they made it to the ship, but we didn't know till midnight when they showed up. My wife was in tears till it arrived. I will never chance that again. I usually have a carryon that is the basics just in case bags are lost.

Fly the day before.

I guess I must like to live dangerously since I do it all the time. As a matter of fact I have a same day flight scheduled for 12:05 next sunday.

We are flying out the same day, but feel like if anything happens we'll be able to manage. My husband owns his own business and it was hard enough talking him into taking a 'real' vacation, so going back the same day we return was a big part of selling this trip.

Wonder if anyone else has had issues flying back same day - our flight is at 1pm so we'll be off early.

Let me tell you my recent story about flying. I flew in day of for my DCL cruise in 2009. Everything went off without a hitch but the anxiety almost killed me.

I'll be sailing on the Dream tomorrow but we almost didn't make it. I was scheduled to fly out of NY-Laguardia this morning at 10:30AM. Thanks to Irene my flight was cancelled (the day BEFORE the cruise). Of course all the airports were closed as of Noon today so I would have been stuck in NY. Luckily my anxiety kicked in around 1AM Thursday night/Friday morning and I changed my flight to Friday night at 6:30. I'm so glad I did. It pays to come in a couple of days before. If you want to take the chance flying day of at least get trip insurance so it isn't a total loss. ;)

:yay:
You need to call them now. If you wait until you get your documents then you will already know your flights and then you would be dealing with the airlines change fees and such.

DCL may have a few options of hotels for you and you can ask them about port transfers for your MR cruise.

I feel much better now!!! :yay: I called DCL this morning and she understood my problem, flying in the day of the cruise was a bit iffy. They did not charge me to change my flights, but I have to pay for the hotel room...which is just fine by me. All transfers are included, so it should be smooth sailing. :banana: Thanks for the advice!

:yay:

I feel much better now!!! :yay: I called DCL this morning and she understood my problem, flying in the day of the cruise was a bit iffy. They did not charge me to change my flights, but I have to pay for the hotel room...which is just fine by me. All transfers are included, so it should be smooth sailing. :banana: Thanks for the advice!

You are welcome and glad it worked out for you. Now you can relax a bit knowing you will arrive the day before your cruise. :thumbsup2

I am flying out TOMORROW for our day of flight out of Vancouver tomorrow. Let me say that although it is only a 2 1/2 hour flight, I am pretty nervous. Sneding up prayers that we make it there on time.

I DO NOT like flying in day of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter