• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone feel guilty when they pick the more expensive option?

dimndgal1

One little spark...
I am truly trying to enjoy the planning for our trip next year, but I keep having a nagging guilt because I picked the more expensive option v. two cheaper options. It's not even DH that's guilting me - this is all self-inflicted!!!

Our criteria:
* Space! Bigger the better with me, DH, 2 DDs, and Family Friend
* 3 beds prefered; lacking 3rd bed, space for an air mattress
* Prefer stroller access from at least 1 park
* Great pool! (zero-entry is a plus!)
* Prefer immersion in Disney (first property stay for FF, youngest DD)

We could stay at SOG and save, but we wouldn't get the theming and benefits of a Disney hotel and the cost of transportation to and from MCO cuts into the savings. POR (the only mod that meets most our criteria) was sold out at our rate, and I also debated a standard room at WL but we really want either a third bed or the space for an air mattress and we'll have a Pack n Play, so space would be tight.

When I looked at the WL bunk rooms, the cost was about the same for BC, so I decided to book BC. It meets our criteria, and we loved YC last year, but I feel like we should be more economical. DH feels we can drop a sit-down or two and make up any cost, and FF is so appreciative that we're letting her tag along, she's up for what we think is best.

Does anyone else have this same issue: feeling guilty for not taking the more economical route?

I am truly trying to enjoy the planning for our trip next year, but I keep having a nagging guilt because I picked the more expensive option v. two cheaper options. It's not even DH that's guilting me - this is all self-inflicted!!!

Our criteria:

We could stay at SOG and save, but we wouldn't get the theming and benefits of a Disney hotel and the cost of transportation to and from MCO cuts into the savings. POR (the only mod that meets most our criteria) was sold out at our rate, and I also debated a standard room at WL but we really want either a third bed or the space for an air mattress and we'll have a Pack n Play, so space would be tight.

When I looked at the WL bunk rooms, the cost was about the same for BC, so I decided to book BC. It meets our criteria, and we loved YC last year, but I feel like we should be more economical. DH feels we can drop a sit-down or two and make up any cost, and FF is so appreciative that we're letting her tag along, she's up for what we think is best.

Does anyone else have this same issue: feeling guilty for not taking the more economical route?

Sometimes. :goodvibes

But, then I think that if I were truly being economical, I probably wouldn't take the vacation at all.

So then we decide to vacation, and do so comfortably (by our standards) and if that means spending more money and we're not breaking the bank, then so be it.

We haven't regretted a dollar spent yet. :thumbsup2

I don't think anyone should feel guilty about why they choose options. It is your vacation and go with what works for you!

Hi, I have stayed at all 3 and all I can say is you will LOVE the BC!! Easy access to 2 parks,best pool on property,lots of dining choices in the area and great themeing. I think the value of a vacation should be in doing and staying where you enjoy. You could also look into renting points to stay at the BCV?? Joan

Yes, I feel a bit guilty. We're staying at WL this time with hoppers as opposed to non hoppers in a value. I told myself that this is our one time splurge. DD is seven and I think this will be the last trip that is truly magical for her so why not go all out.

Like the PP said, I don't think too much about it or I probably wouldn't go at all.

Sometimes. :goodvibes

But, then I think that if I were truly being economical, I probably wouldn't take the vacation at all.

So then we decide to vacation, and do so comfortably (by our standards) and if that means spending more money and we're not breaking the bank, then so be it.

We haven't regretted a dollar spent yet. :thumbsup2

This is us pretty much to a tee. I figure I work way too hard for my money and our family vacations are way too important to us. As long as I can do it, I do, with no regrets!

I definitely feel your pain. I booked a Deluxe resort for the first time and continuously go back and look at the price difference of moderate options and see what we would be "saving" by staying moderate. DH finally got it through to me that he's not worried about the cost and he just wants me to be happy and in a place that I might not stay when DD comes with us on our next trip. Takes the pain out of it a little bit :)

I definitely feel your pain. I booked a Deluxe resort for the first time and continuously go back and look at the price difference of moderate options and see what we would be "saving" by staying moderate. DH finally got it through to me that he's not worried about the cost and he just wants me to be happy and in a place that I might not stay when DD comes with us on our next trip. Takes the pain out of it a little bit :)

We're also staying deluxe for the first time, but we were looking at two rooms with my sister vs one room at CR. We may not be going back for a while, if at all, and we wanted to stay that close to MK at least once.

Our criteria:

I bargain shop and cut corners all year. When I go on vacation, I want to be able to take a vacation from all of the economical tricks I have to pull the rest of the time. I want to stay wherever I want, eat what I please and purchase anything that makes me happy. I only second-guessed our first deluxe stay. After that, there have been no regrets.

The only reason why I would ever feel guilty about my vacation choices was if it was placing a financial strain on the family. If it is comfortably within your budget, then stay wherever you please.

Thanks for everyone's replies!

I am glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way, and I know deep down, it's about enjoying the time with our kiddos and friends.

DH is very practical and his opinion is that if we were really splurging, I'd be negotiating for GF or going CL. But, wanting a nice hotel and convenient amenities will make the trip more relaxing and enjoyable for everyone.

I know once we get closer, I'll be swept up in the magic and I'll be full of giddy, child-like excitement... for now, I just need to relax and realize we're worth a bit extra for this vacation!

I remember planning our first trip. I was the one getting all the info and I presented the options to DH.

1. Mod resort - meaning no balcony to go onto at night when the kids went to sleep and the kids either had to share a bed (boy & girl) or bring an air mattress.

2. Wilderness Lodge- bunkbeds for the kids and a balcony.

The price difference was $400. I thought for sure DH would want the cheaper option. He surprised me when he said, "I would rather enjoy the more expensive trip than resent the cheaper one."

Since, that has been our guiding principal when planning trips- economize where possible but don't cross the line where economizing puts a damper on the trip. If the themeing and extra room will really make your trip, then do it!

Enjoy BC- it is beautiful! The pool is awesome and being able to walk into Epcot rocks! I would stay there and go with less expensive dining any day!

Nope I don't feel guilty. It is a vacation for a reason. I am not doing to stay somewhere cheaper, wishing I was somewhere else if I can make the expense work.

We could stay in SOG but I wouldn't be happy there and neither would my family (to include the kids who didn't like it when we stayed there last trip for a night) so why torture myself for the sake of saving a few bucks.

As long as it is at a price point that works with your budget and doesn't mean you have to stop eating for 6 months to afford it etc...then enjoy what you booked and don't look back!

For as much of a penny pincher as I can be, I've never once felt guilty booking a deluxe or even better, a deluxe club level room, suite, or villa. If I couldn't afford it, I wouldn't book it. :goodvibes

Nope! :)

No but seriously, enjoy! I think your idea of economizing on food is a great option if it helps on the budget. We've been eating more and more QS unless we have free dining because we find that the food tastes roughly the same anyway.

I did slightly.

When the FD promotion came out in August, we were booked at POR (rack rate) and our package price, with dining, was @$3300.

We couldn't get any rooms with FD at POR when we were there. If we could have, we'd have saved $800. But we couldn't, nor could we at CSR. And our "deal breaker" was the Full beds at CBR which DID have the FD rooms when we were going.

We didn't want to pay rack rate at POR, so we switched to WL for $100 more for the week (woods view with free dining). So sometimes I felt guilty that we didn't save $800 and could have sucked up the Full beds. But for the most part I'm super excited to stay at a deluxe resort just a short boat ride from the Magic Kingdom. And we only went $100 over our original budget.

I am always grateful to be there.

I wish i had upgraded when staying value or mod. But NEVER regretted my deluxe stays .

If you can you should.

If you can afford it and it makes you very happy and you're greatful about the luck you have to be staying there... Then stop feeling guilty. :)

I have booked a moderate vacation for 2014.We usually stay at the values but my daughter is turning 16 next year and that's where she wants to spend her birthday so i kinda felt guilty but then again its not that much of a difference. The dinning is what killing me but I am cutting back on unnecessary spending and picking up extra shifts at work and even doing some creative ways to make extra money. Everything always works out its just i worry until i actually check in at the hotel and then all my worries seem to go away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter