Does anyone else have a problem with the cost of food for children???

Status
Not open for further replies.
bicker said:
I've posted this a few times recently... seems to be a popular topic:

Choose your restaurants wisely, and your child will be more than pleased.

It's a popular topic because many people choose not to feed their kids crap!

And it's a crying shame that ALL Disney restaurants don't offer healthier options! Not everything you listed would be considered "healthy" or acceptable by everyone else, either.

hmp2z said:
Um, who is forcing you to eat a Disney restaurants? Or to go to Disney for that matter? If the price is too high for you, then don't eat there - it's a very simple cost/value proposition. For people like me, the quality of the meals I receive make it worth the price I pay. For you, maybe not, but instead of complaining, why not just vote with your feet (or wallet)?

I just don't get these kinds of posts. So weird...

Heather W
No they are not weird. I work hard for my money. I love Disney but I will voice my concern over the price of food. If you think the value is great than you must be loaded. The average person I believe would agree the price of the food is VERY!!!!! expensive. People laugh in the food line when you joke about the price of things. I do choose to eat at some of the nicer places but again the price is expensive.

TnKrBeLlA012 said:
We just came back from Disney. I cannot believe the price they want to charge for a three year old to eat. I refused to pay it and told them she was two. The amount of food she ate would take no profits away from Disney. I payed 29.00 and probably ate 10.00. I also think it is terrible what they charge for a ten year old to eat. An adult price?????? The price of food is out of hand. I don't care if you have money or don't. This is robbery! How many kids eat adult food anyway. Most would eat the food they give out for kids. Sorry but shame on Disney!

Sorry, but shame on you! What you did was stealing. :guilty:

No one forced you to eat there. If you truly felt your dd would not or could not eat that much food, you could have explained that she would not be eating off the menu and provided your own acceptable food from home/resort for her, I'm sure. I know that many parents of children with food allergies do things like this in restaurants, especially if they are very young and don't necessarily need a full meal.
What they DON'T usually do is have their children eat the food, then lie about their age to avoid paying. I agree prices are high, but theft is not the answer! :sad2:

TnKrBeLlA012 said:
No they are not weird. I work hard for my money. I love Disney but I will voice my concern over the price of food. If you think the value is great than you must be loaded. The average person I believe would agree the price of the food is VERY!!!!! expensive. People laugh in the food line when you joke about the price of things. I do choose to eat at some of the nicer places but again the price is expensive.

I think you are totally missing the point. The majority would concede that prices are high, but that doesn't mean it's okay to steal the food! I think the prices of a lot of things I want (or need) are high, but I don't snatch them off the shelves at Target and go running out the door with them! :rotfl:

TinkerbellMama said:
I think you are totally missing the point. The majority would concede that prices are high, but that doesn't mean it's okay to steal the food! I think the prices of a lot of things I want (or need) are high, but I don't snatch them off the shelves at Target and go running out the door with them! :rotfl:

I totally agree!

aristocat said:
Are you looking to stir up trouble with a post like that? :stir:

If you don't agree with the prices Disney charges for buffets and character meals - then don’t go to them!

It’s not up to you to determine the cost for the buffet – it’s Disney’s right as the provider to determine the price and set the age groups.

We all have to pay the prices they set – regardless if you believe that the value you’ll derive from the meal is less than the price you’re required to pay... However, it’s still your choice to patronize Disney World and partake in the character meals offered there.
Loooking to stir up trouble?????????? I not sure what your meaning is? I'm asking people if they think the prices are expensive for children. I tend to think they are. My child does not eat alot. I know I'm not alone in that thought. Will I still go to Disney??? Yes. Do I still think they over charge on children? Yes. The post does not have to stir trouble. You can post your comment without turning it into more than what it should be!!! While we are on costs. I also think the ticket prices are getting a little to high.

traviesojmt said:
In the end, it is not shame on Disney. It is shame on those who feel that they can cheat someone or something (in this case Disney) just because Disney makes lots of money.

VERY WELL SAID...now where is that popcorn:: ?

TnKrBeLlA012 said:
We just came back from Disney. I cannot believe the price they want to charge for a three year old to eat. I refused to pay it and told them she was two. The amount of food she ate would take no profits away from Disney. I payed 29.00 and probably ate 10.00. I also think it is terrible what they charge for a ten year old to eat. An adult price?????? The price of food is out of hand. I don't care if you have money or don't. This is robbery! How many kids eat adult food anyway. Most would eat the food they give out for kids. Sorry but shame on Disney!

It takes a lot of chutzpah to "shame" Disney for charging a certain price, while unabashedly bragging about lying about your child's age. Did it ever occur to you that price increases may be to compensate for those who lie about ages and paid a dishonest price?

Some things cost more than others. While I might consider gas, cable, etc. expensive, I certainly wouldn't lie or steal to get it in any case. I'd just ration my uses more carefully in order to be able to afford it honestly. Deceit is never part of the solution.

aristocat said:
Are you looking to stir up trouble with a post like that? :stir:

If you don't agree with the prices Disney charges for buffets and character meals - then don’t go to them!

It’s not up to you to determine the cost for the buffet – it’s Disney’s right as the provider to determine the price and set the age groups.

We all have to pay the prices they set – regardless if you believe that the value you’ll derive from the meal is less than the price you’re required to pay... However, it’s still your choice to patronize Disney World and partake in the character meals offered there.

ITA. Our DD8 has autism and is VERY picky. I normally bring in her food to every restaurant as I have not found anything she will eat regularly on any menu. However, one of the greatest joys of Disney for her is the characters. Because she could not tolerate the wait in a long line to meet the characters, I schedule at least 2-3 character breakfasts per trip. She has yet to eat as much as a grape in any of the restaurants and we have been charged the full price for her in every single place. I paid each bill without batting an eyelash. It is my opinion that we derived the value from her meal not in food, but in entertainment.

We are by no means wealthy and we save every year to go to Disney. But I know the costs of the restaurant prior to making the reservation and fully expect to pay whether she eats or not.

JMO

TnKrBeLlA012 said:
Loooking to stir up trouble?????????? I not sure what your meaning is? I'm asking people if they think the prices are expensive for children. I tend to think they are. My child does not eat alot. I know I'm not alone in that thought. Will I still go to Disney??? Yes. Do I still think they over charge on children? Yes. The post does not have to stir trouble. You can post your comment without turning it into more than what it should be!!! While we are on costs. I also think the ticket prices are getting a little to high.

People think you are looking to stir up trouble because you are advocating lying and breaking WDW policy, which is against DISboard guidelines. If you commented that prices seem high, you might have gotten more support. My suggestion is to visit the budget boards for ways to get the most value out of your dollar and to check the home page of the DIS or All Ears and check menus before you go, so your children will have items they will enjoy at your restaurant choices.

The way I see it, you have three choices- accept the prices and go, don't accept the prices and don't go, or you can continue to lie, but choice number three eventually comes to an end someway, somehow, so I'd plan for backup.

TnKrBeLlA012 said:

I agree with those that think that you are missing the point. You come onto the boards and openingly acknowledge lying and cheating regarding your daughter's age. Are the prices expensive? Sure they are. I am not loaded. That made me laugh. My DH is military and I am a SAHM. But, it is always up to us how we chose to spend our money. I go to Disney knowing the price of food. Again, Disney is a luxury. Everyone cannot afford to go. It is not a necessity. The cost of the food at Disney is not an excuse for cheating Disney. The problem is that you did not create a thread discussing the ever-growing price of food and tickets at Disneyworld. You created a thread that advocated cheating because you didn't like the price of the food. I think that is where you are getting your opposition. Disney would not be charging the prices it does if people were refusing to eat at their restaurants.

Well, I have to say that I also have a DD3 who tends to eat very little for dinner. I know very well when I book a buffet for dinner that I will not be getting my money's worth for what my DD3 will eat. The fact remains, however, that it is a choice. I have chosen to eat at those restaurants, therefore I will pay the price listed. If you really had refused to pay, you should not have eaten at those restaurants. I will not be lying about my daughter's age when I have decided to eat a certain restaurant. Disney is not forcing anyone to eat at any particular restaurant. I really can't see how you can call money that you spend on a vacation robbery. It is a vacation. It is a luxury. In the end, it is not shame on Disney. It is shame on those who feel that they can cheat someone or something (in this case Disney) just because Disney makes lots of money.

i couldn't have said it better myself.

If she doesn't eat that much and you were NOT on the dining plan, why didn't you just share your food with her at a non-buffet and just avoid the buffets??? i think that would solve the lying about her age. My DD is going to be 20months when we go, so i don't have to pay yet, but when we go out she eats from my plate, even on a good day she barely makes a dent in anything.

When we do have to pay for her, we will do so without complaining b/c WE are choosing to vacation there and choosing to eat there. We do have a choice.
But i do agree that

OKWMom said:
ITA. Our DD8 has autism and is VERY picky. I normally bring in her food to every restaurant as I have not found anything she will eat regularly on any menu. However, one of the greatest joys of Disney for her is the characters. Because she could not tolerate the wait in a long line to meet the characters, I schedule at least 2-3 character breakfasts per trip. She has yet to eat as much as a grape in any of the restaurants and we have been charged the full price for her in every single place. I paid each bill without batting an eyelash. It is my opinion that we derived the value from her meal not in food, but in entertainment.

We are by no means wealthy and we save every year to go to Disney. But I know the costs of the restaurant prior to making the reservation and fully expect to pay whether she eats or not.

JMO

Absolutely! :thumbsup2

What a sweet story. :goodvibes

OKW mom, did you know that some restaurants will charge a small fee (I think it's $5 at Liberty Tree Tavern) as an "entertainment fee" for someone who will not be dining? If your DD won't be eating there, this could save some money. Next time you go, ask - other character meals might have a similar policy. :)

I consider the prices to be on par with if not better than other theme parks. I certainly wouldn't condone lying in order to eat free. With that said, I'm going to microwave a little popcorn:: and watch this train wreck.

TnKrBeLlA012 said:

First off, let me say I AM NOT LOADED. I'm a single mother, I teach kindergarten in a city funded day care center.

I think WDW is a great value compared to 6 Flags, Bronx Zoo, anything at Madison Square Garden, Yankee/Shea Stadium, US Open..

No one is forcing any of us to spend our hard earned money with the Mouse.

TnKrBeLlA012 said:

If you want to send a message, rent a car and eat offiste for breakfast and dinner. Bring a picnic lunch in a cooler. If everyone felt it was too expensive and ate offsite, that would send a message. As I said before, if you did not advocate lying or cheating, and simply asked about the cost of food, your replies would have been much more sympathetic, practical, helpful and supportive.

I will repeat all my previous thoughts. THE PRICE OF A CHILDS MEAL IS WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY TO EXPENSIVE FOR WHAT THEY EAT!!!! I don't really care what a few of you seem to think. I feel not one ounce of regret for saying my three year old was two. I'm not impressed with anyones moral judgments on the topic. Unless you are Mother Theresa your judgement means NOTHING!! I only wish I could pass her off as two when we go in March. Who knows maybe I could????? This board never fails for a good laugh.

LuluLovesDisney said:
OKW mom, did you know that some restaurants will charge a small fee (I think it's $5 at Liberty Tree Tavern) as an "entertainment fee" for someone who will not be dining? If your DD won't be eating there, this could save some money. Next time you go, ask - other character meals might have a similar policy. :)

I think I saw something about that in the Passporter (after our last trip, of course). But this year I planned on the DP, so everything is covered. She'll get full value from the snack credits in ice cream. :blush: But thank you for the information, I'll try that when we go for our long weekend in May.

It just wouldn't be Disney if she didn't get to rub noses with Tigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter