Does anyone else get asked why you would bring a toddler or younger to DW?

We're taking DD (2 1/2) on her first trip at Christmas because this will be the cheapest we'll be able to go as a family (DS will be an "adult" next year). We're very much a Disney family, so she knows all the characters, and we watch videos of the rides. She will love it, and it will be worth it all. We'll be back when she's a little older to make more memories.

So, yeah...I am one of those people.

No, I am not jealous...or shallow...or insensitive...

And I would never be so rude to confront you to your face or even gossip behind your back. You would know how I feel about certain topics by how I raise my own family, but there is a line I wouldn't cross when it comes to how much TV you let your kids watch or what role models you expose them to. My view is that if you want my opinion, you would ask. I only open my mouth now because it's being discussed already on a thread.

As several PP have mentioned, some parents go because they enjoy going to WDW as a vacation for themselves and tow along any offspring they have at the time. That makes sense to me. There's no reason for parents to stop doing what they want solely because their kids won't remember it. If the trip allows the parents to offload their kid(s) with the grandparents for some much needed quality time...even better.

What I don't understand is why parents would spend so much money taking a vacation to WDW FOR their kids at that young age. Sure, they are going to be happy at times, but they are also happy doing a lot of other activities at that age...much cheaper activities that provide just as many learning opportunities.

I also think the same about the zoo. The majority of parents place their small child into a huge stroller that allows for no interaction while moving, they stop briefly at each exhibit to point, the parent gives the incorrect name for the animal (kitty vs tiger, monkey vs gorilla, turtle vs tortoise), and then after some time the child starts crying and it is a good half hour or hour before the parent makes it back to the car to drive another 30-60 minutes home. I sat near the exit of a zoo one day and counted only one child leaving the zoo happy in a half hour period in the late morning when many of the parents with young children were leaving. The zoo is great, but so is chasing butterflies, snakes, and grasshoppers in the backyard. It just boggles my mind as to why so many parents of very young children go to the zoo...or WDW...like that.

I'm totally fine if someone has the discretionary income to take their young child(ren) to WDW as long as they admit that they are going for themselves, because they like having the memories of their child at WDW, and/or if it is the right age for the older child(ren) in the family. It just irks me when parents have one of those reasons yet hide behind words of "My 2 y.o. loves Cinderella so we are going." while adamantly denying all of the reasons I listed previously. It's scary to think that parents would spend $6000 on a trip solely because their 2 y.o. child likes Cinderella at the moment.

I'm not looking to start a war....I see a lot of great parent/child interaction when I am at WDW and that is that is what is most important about a family vacation...all the family time while in a fun and relaxing environment.

GadgetTheInventor said:
So, yeah...I am one of those people.

No, I am not jealous...or shallow...or insensitive...

And I would never be so rude to confront you to your face or even gossip behind your back. You would know how I feel about certain topics by how I raise my own family, but there is a line I wouldn't cross when it comes to how much TV you let your kids watch or what role models you expose them to. My view is that if you want my opinion, you would ask. I only open my mouth now because it's being discussed already on a thread.

As several PP have mentioned, some parents go because they enjoy going to WDW as a vacation for themselves and tow along any offspring they have at the time. That makes sense to me. There's no reason for parents to stop doing what they want solely because their kids won't remember it. If the trip allows the parents to offload their kid(s) with the grandparents for some much needed quality time...even better.

What I don't understand is why parents would spend so much money taking a vacation to WDW FOR their kids at that young age. Sure, they are going to be happy at times, but they are also happy doing a lot of other activities at that age...much cheaper activities that provide just as many learning opportunities.

I also think the same about the zoo. The majority of parents place their small child into a huge stroller that allows for no interaction while moving, they stop briefly at each exhibit to point, the parent gives the incorrect name for the animal (kitty vs tiger, monkey vs gorilla, turtle vs tortoise), and then after some time the child starts crying and it is a good half hour or hour before the parent makes it back to the car to drive another 30-60 minutes home. I sat near the exit of a zoo one day and counted only one child leaving the zoo happy in a half hour period in the late morning when many of the parents with young children were leaving. The zoo is great, but so is chasing butterflies, snakes, and grasshoppers in the backyard. It just boggles my mind as to why so many parents of very young children go to the zoo...or WDW...like that.

I'm totally fine if someone has the discretionary income to take their young child(ren) to WDW as long as they admit that they are going for themselves, because they like having the memories of their child at WDW, and/or if it is the right age for the older child(ren) in the family. It just irks me when parents have one of those reasons yet hide behind words of "My 2 y.o. loves Cinderella so we are going." while adamantly denying all of the reasons I listed previously. It's scary to think that parents would spend $6000 on a trip solely because their 2 y.o. child likes Cinderella at the moment.

I'm not looking to start a war....I see a lot of great parent/child interaction when I am at WDW and that is that is what is most important about a family vacation...all the family time while in a fun and relaxing environment.

Parents would actually refer to a tortoise as a "turtle" ughhh the nerve. ** Rofl**

To each their own but I think the perfect age for a child to go is around 4 or 5 because then they are tall enough to ride almost all of the rides. What gets me though is that there are families on here that go to Disney once or twice a year and their children's teeth look horrible and are in need of braces! I guess we all have our own priorities though and blowing $5,000 to $6,000 on a Disney trip that a toddler won't remember, isn't one of mine.

We say because it is illegal to leave her at home alone :)

:lmao:

In all seriousness, most families will never make a trip to Disney. And among those that do, the vast majority will go once or maybe twice. When you consider the question from that point of view, it makes a lot more sense :goodvibes

I have in-laws that ask every single time to keep the "baby." I politely tell them no, its a family vacation, she is a part of the family, you are welcome to come along too. They have never taken me up on that offer yet. My "baby" then was 2 and 4 months and still free! I thought our last trip was for the 4 year old, no it was about the 2 year old. She remembers a lot of it. A few days ago out the blue she said, "I with Daddy. I go up and down and round and round." After questioning her she said,"Bumbo, (dumbo) and I hug Mickey, and I hug Minnie. I love them!" The most magical moment on that entire trip was when she saw Mickey and Minnie in the Visa meet and greet. She jumped out of the stroller and ran straight into Minnie's arms. It was her first character experience ever!

To each their own but I think the perfect age for a child to go is around 4 or 5 because then they are tall enough to ride almost all of the rides. What gets me though is that there are families on here that go to Disney once or twice a year and their children's teeth look horrible and are in need of braces! I guess we all have our own priorities though and blowing $5,000 to $6,000 on a Disney trip that a toddler won't remember, isn't one of mine.

Where on earth are you and the other poster getting this $6000 figure from, like it's the default price for a trip to Disney? Our upcoming trip, with our 20 month old, is going to be $1700, including travel expenses and spending money, and we're staying at a moderate. If we had a second child that was actually charged, it still wouldn't push it much over $2000.

And that's completely ignoring the fact that you seem to think every family would be totally wasting the trip if they were to bring their toddlers. This is incorrect. Way, way more often than not, I've seen people say they made the right decision to take their little ones and had an amazing trip, not that it was wasted.

Most people think of Disney as a once-in-a-lifetime trip. By that logic, it would make sense to go when a child is old enough to have fond memories of it. They don't typically assume said child will go back year after year after year. :)

Plus it does cost a lot. And it's hard to get to, unless you live right near it. So they might think it's a waste of money to bring an infant there. But they might make other choices I don't necessarily agree with. Personally I ask myself questions like, "why buy expensive clothes for a baby, when thrift store duds will do just fine" or "why buy expensive flashy toys for a toddler when they're perfectly happy playing with a cardboard box and some wooden spoons" etc. Yet most people think nothing of those issues...

Where on earth are you and the other poster getting this $6000 figure from, like it's the default price for a trip to Disney?

It's probably a pretty good a average for the DIS. Way more than we spent, but nowhere near as much as others here have mentioned.

It's probably a pretty good a average for the DIS. Way more than we spent, but nowhere near as much as others here have mentioned.

Really? I'd be surprised if that was average, even for the DIS as DIS members are more likely to know about and take advantage of discounts.

We're spending less than half of that $6000 figure, and that includes us buying an airline seat for DD so that she can fly in her car seat instead of being a lap baby.

Here's my thing - I started planning a vacation over 2 years ago - a big vacation - cuz quite frankly I need one and I don't ever go anywhere or do anything....my first thought - I would love to go to Turks and Caicos and chill on a beach and just get away for a week....my second thought - my kids would have more fun at Disney ...so my three and four year old are going to WDW because while Mommy may need a vacation - she wants to take one that the kids will LOVE and enjoyand that will be special for them....we won't be able to do Disney again for a couple of years after this but I know that I can't wait to see their faces when we first pull up....much more beautiful than any tropical beach...
and if anyone were to ask me I would say - because I love my kids and want to see them experience the magic -

I priced up a trip, mid-October for seven days, six nights for two adults, a 13 year old, a 6 year old, and an infant (which is free), with 7 day tickets with Park Hopper, at the Boardwalk, with the regular dining plan. Absolutely no discounts.

$5600

Not even $6000 and you made the claim that was average for the DIS, which is more likely to use discounts (I didn't in the example). Take away the dining (go during free dining, probably their most popular discount) and it cuts the price by over $1000. Simply make the switch to a moderate resort and the price drops even further to $2800.

Where on earth are you and the other poster getting this $6000 figure from, like it's the default price for a trip to Disney? Our upcoming trip, with our 20 month old, is going to be $1700, including travel expenses and spending money, and we're staying at a moderate. If we had a second child that was actually charged, it still wouldn't push it much over $2000.

Our trip so far is costing us $5596.71 there are 4 of us 2 kids (3&4) and 2 adults - this price includes our rooms, magic your way plus dining, park hopper with water parks and more and the Pirate and Pays Voyage. THATS IT

travel will be about $500-$750 depending and then there are still souveniers, extra snacks, and anything extra....I don't believe I will get out of this trip for less than $7000

I priced up a trip, mid-October for seven days, six nights for two adults, a 13 year old, a 6 year old, and an infant (which is free), with 7 day tickets with Park Hopper, at the Boardwalk, with the regular dining plan. Absolutely no discounts.

$5600

Not even $6000 and you made the claim that was average for the DIS, which is more likely to use discounts (I didn't in the example). Take away the dining (go during free dining, probably their most popular discount) and it cuts the price by over $1000. Simply make the switch to a moderate resort and the price drops even further to $2800.

I just checked 8 nights at a value in June (which is when we can go), and with 3 adults and 1 child I'm topping 3 grand just for the room and the tickets, never mind food & travel.

Not that that's really my point. I already said my last trip was cheaper. BUT, I've also routinely seen many on the DIS not bat an eye at $10,000 for a Disney trip. So again, while you may not spend that, and I may not spend that, a great number of people do spend $6k and in many cases much, much more.

I just checked 8 nights at a value in June (which is when we can go), and with 3 adults and 1 child I'm topping 3 grand just for the room and the tickets, never mind food & travel.

Not that that's really my point. I already said my last trip was cheaper. BUT, I've also routinely seen many on the DIS not bat an eye at $10,000 for a Disney trip. So again, while you may not spend that, and I may not spend that, a great number of people do spend $6k and in many cases much, much more.

I think that $6000 really is about average - you have to figure that some people on here are going to do it for very little and some can go way beyond ---- just becuase one person only spends about 2500 doesn't mean that is the average - other people spend like $12,000.....

Routinely seen people not bat an eye at $10K on the DIS? Where!? Lol, I have *never* seen anyone talk about trips that expensive. Wow..

Routinely seen people not bat an eye at $10K on the DIS? Where!? Lol, I have *never* seen anyone talk about trips that expensive. Wow..

Really? You've been here much longer than me & I see it all the time - the "how much did your trip cost" threads being the most obvious.

Peak time, 2+ week stay, deluxe, air travel, family of 4 or more, etc. That could top $10k very, very easily.

Which is all getting away from the original question. It's the type of trip many, many people think of as a "once in a lifetime" kind of trip. And "if" that's how you feel, taking a toddler would seem odd.

Our May trip 8 days- family of 4 plus an infant, staying at the Poly, Dining Plan, Park hopper without discounts has come to $7700.

Personally, I would not take anyone younger than 6. My kiddos are 6 and 7 and I think they are the perfect age. However, my reasoning for that is because I get excited about going and want to go, go, go. With younger ones they would have a hard time with that.
I am not saying not to bring your tot! I think it depends on the parent. If you want to bring them, bring them. I think you are right it does not matter if they remember it, you will and with pictures they will be to.
I went when I was 4, 8, 13 and 26. I dont remember going when I was 4, I remember going with my family and grandparents when I was 8, but all i remember was getting a jar of banana runts and getting sick, grandpa putting change in the pay phones for us to find, and an alligator in the backyard. Thats it. Shoot even when I was 13 I dont remember much. But I know that at the time, I enjoyed myself and that is all that matters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter