Does Anyone Else Feel Like DVC Members Just Lost Another Perk?

The page you are referring to says that WIRED internet is free until Oct 24. It says nothing about when free wireless ends and the tech person I talked to assured me that is was not a test but rather the new internet system. He did not say that it would be free forever, but he did say that he knew of no plans to charge for it.

In fairness to BobNed, two hours ago that page on the DIS did specifically state that the wireless access would only be free until the 24th. It has since been amended to add the comments about wired access.

Wired connections are usually faster than WiFi and it is a secured connection. The new WiFi is a public unsecured connection, we don't know about the speed yet and we don't know that it will stay free forever.

I think that I will wait and see what happens before I get too excited.

:earsboy: Bill

Wired connections are usually faster than WiFi and it is a secured connection. The new WiFi is a public unsecured connection, we don't know about the speed yet and we don't know that it will stay free forever.

I think that I will wait and see what happens before I get too excited.

:earsboy: Bill

Anytime you use a public Wifi site, be sure you have a strong firewall. Some even encrypt their personal data.

That's it, I am selling! I can't believe they want to offer people that pay hundreds of dollars per night for a room free internet. I bought my timeshare so Disney could take advantage of others and add to my enjoyment.

See you all at Motel 6!

Will they still offer the wired high speed internet or only the wireless? It would be nice to still have the option for wired high speed internet.

I don't as we own at VGC and as long as we have been going internet has been free at the Disneyland Resort.

Internet has been covered through the resort fees, and that is what is waived at GCV. I might be out of date, but I do not think that DLH or PPH have wireless...I've gotten online wirelessly before at PPH but that's just because their public space wifi 'waves' didn't know what a wall was.

Don't know if its been brought up, already, but is the internet still $10/day for non-members staying at DVC resorts? Or is it just the in-room "wi-fi" that is free, once you pay for the internet access? If its totally free, I see more demand for a DVC resort reservation, which would reduce availability for members.

In fairness to BobNed, two hours ago that page on the DIS did specifically state that the wireless access would only be free until the 24th. It has since been amended to add the comments about wired access.
Thanks Tim. I thought for a minute I was completely nuts. Good to know I still have a little ways to go. I did see though where the page was modified. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, one of the stories I've heard is that Disney is considering multiple tiers of service with only very basic wireless bandwidth for free and higher speeds for fee. In other words, you might be able to receive an email or book an ADR on the "free" system but streaming video or app downloads will require some higher level of service. If that happens, it's conceivable that DVC members will get the higher bandwidth at no charge.

That is certainly possible. I recently stayed at a fairly high end hotel that had this type of free/fee service. Basic free service was fine for the DISBoards and email. Streaming anything was impossible without paying $15 per day for more bandwidth. I have a feeling Disney may be having "free" wifi until a specific date, to be sure the system is installed and working properly, then may switch to a free/fee type system. Otherwise there is no reason for the wireless access points to be installed in every room.

Internet has been covered through the resort fees, and that is what is waived at GCV. I might be out of date, but I do not think that DLH or PPH have wireless...I've gotten online wirelessly before at PPH but that's just because their public space wifi 'waves' didn't know what a wall was.

I know DLH has free wireless, I used it in August.

I'll be happy as long as we still get free wired. GCV has both.

algottl2 wrote:

Meaning all due respect..but that's nuts!
DVC ownership is not a 'keeping up the jones's' thing!....you have, and continue to get a valueable service without being charged for it....if the fire department puts out the fire at your house, and then later does the same for the house down the street, how have you suffered a loss?

jekjones1558 wrote:

Exactly! :)

Perfect couldn't say it any better than that. Just keep the nice resort amenities coming and I'm happy.

I don't feel like we lost a perk. Glad to have the free wifi, and don't begrudge anyone paying $$$$$ for a hotel room to have the same perk.

I will say that I do wish that DVC members had some discounts on passes/meal plan. AP and the TIW card don't really work for my family.

I purchased the dining plan this year for the first time to try it while my 3 kids were still kids. I will not be paying for it once they become"disney adults" next year. It was not cheap, and with not being able to segment I basically had to purchase an extra day, but figured let me give it a try.

With that being said we are a family of 5, and purchased our BWV contract in 1999. So it really has been a value to us. Though with the constuction of Animation Suites I am not sure if I would make the same decision to purchase today.

That is certainly possible. I recently stayed at a fairly high end hotel that had this type of free/fee service. Basic free service was fine for the DISBoards and email. Streaming anything was impossible without paying $15 per day for more bandwidth. I have a feeling Disney may be having "free" wifi until a specific date, to be sure the system is installed and working properly, then may switch to a free/fee type system. Otherwise there is no reason for the wireless access points to be installed in every room.

I think there will be some kind of "catch". I can't believe Disney is going to the expense of installing this and then giving it away free. I did read somewhere else that the free service will only be slow speed, with a fee for higher speeds.

But now that all the deluxe resorts have free wifi, available to everyone, does anyone feel like DVC members have lost yet another perk? That being free internet access.
It's still free, isn't it?

Or by perk do you mean "something the little people don't get"?

Lose a perk? ..... Nah!

Glad to see Disney moving into the 21st century!

Now where is my online booking?

Perks are not the reason I bought the DVC, so no it doesn't bother me that much.

I think somehow the OP was saying the $100 off the AP isn't great anymore - I know as long as I buy APs I am glad to have it.

And I don't have to carry my router to use my iTouch anymore - awesome
:thumbsup2i never bothered to carry a router & left laptop behind. Now that we have a touchpad will be thrilled to get wifi in all types of accommodations @ WDW

i realized a long time ago it's not a good idea all around to 'covet' others' good fortune;) but if the connection speed is slow because of all the CRO moochers then that is different story lol

Not a loss of a perk for us at all. We don't own a laptop and have never needed it. Our phones have mobile hotspot anyway so doesn't matter much to me.

I do think though since we are about to start 2012. I would think WDW would be wireless at all resorts by now like most of the area where I live. I can get WiFi at just about every store/restaurant etc in our area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter