Does Anyone Else Feel Like Disney Was Shafted on the Lighthouse Point Deal?

Pretty sure they've run the pros and cons and factored in all of the financial aspects and expect to come out ahead. I think the last time anyone took advantage of the Disney company was when Walt lost the rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. I imagine that the number of people working on this deal is larger than the size of many companies. I think they know what they're doing.

After years and years of Bahamians getting shafted by cruise ship companies and resorts, this is the first time I've seen a deal that nudges in the direction of them getting fair compensation for the use of their land. I only wish Disney was obliged to hire more locals, 100-150 seems like a low number.

Agreed, literally selling land should come in exchange for guaranteed good jobs for EVERY position possible at a minimum. Otherwise what is the point?

If DCL got the easy path for everything in this case, it would be the island environment and the Bahamian people getting shafted.

I think the current arrangement is well-balanced and can benefit everyone.

Last edited:
I saw the details of the deal yesterday and it seems that Disney got the short end of that stick! Hundreds of millions of dollars for a portion of an island (not even the whole island), has to donate back hundreds of acres back to the state, has to employee a high percentage of the locals (I get that), has to increase ports to the Bahamas (why is that only a DCL responsibility), it is not just open to the DCL cruisers, but the locals as well (Why? What is the point of a "private" island, if anyone can go?)

I think that last part is what bothers me the most. Disney can't market this as a second Castaway Cay if anyone can be there. Now, it boils down to just being a new port to visit, not a private island getaway.

Anyone else feel this way?

Whether or not Disney was "shafted" in the deal....I can't say. Though my guess would be that they were not. IMO, that's a completely separate discussion though from what to expect in regards to the the guest experience at LP. I do agree 100% on the feeling this could disappoint when compared to Castaway. I just don't see how this location will have the 'magic' and charm of Castaway, if it is not exclusive to DCL passengers. I'm sure it will be 100x better than a port like Nassau, but probably not as good as CC.

Last edited:
Schools? Medical facilities? Seems like a lot of effort so we can lie on a beach for a few hours.

I think that it will be like Royal Caribbean's stop in Labadee. They have built it as a private island destination that is accessed by the cruise ship guests, but there are locals on the island as well just in another area. They can't just walk up and jump in the pool like in Nassau. Also Royal Caribbeans "private island" Coco Cay and Norweigein's are almost the same island. You can see the ships tendering if you are out there and they look like the same island. I had to come home and google it the first time I was there to figure out what was going on!!

Every private island is just a private Icy Strait Point, really. Castaway Cay is very well groomed and sanitized.

I can't really swallow criticism of this project on the "sanitized for your protection" argument. Everyone can't have it all ways - want some sort of perfect, natural paradise, but also want to be able to dock a giant ship, and also not want it to have actual residents. There are a very limited number of truly 'deserted' islands that can be shaped. CC was available in part because it had been used for drug running, and didn't really have residents.

Every private island is just a private Icy Strait Point, really. Castaway Cay is very well groomed and sanitized.

I can't really swallow criticism of this project on the "sanitized for your protection" argument. Everyone can't have it all ways - want some sort of perfect, natural paradise, but also want to be able to dock a giant ship, and also not want it to have actual residents. There are a very limited number of truly 'deserted' islands that can be shaped. CC was available in part because it had been used for drug running, and didn't really have residents.

It’s also basically a sandbar that probably won’t be around when the lease is over

I don’t think Disney was shafted.

What I am wondering about is this: Lighthouse Point is on Eulethera as is Princess Cays. I have read that there is a lot of rocks/coral in the water at Princess Cays and swim shoes are a must. I have not heard anything like that about Castaway Cay. (I have not been to either personally, so I am only going on research I’ve done.). My question would be if Disney LP area would be similar.

Any thoughts from those who have been to both Princess Cays and Castaway Cays?

It will be interesting once that portion of the island is up and running for the ships. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be like Jamaica's beaches where someone is bothering you every 5 minutes selling jewelry or wanting to braid your hair.

Oh no! I hadn't thought of that angle. I sure hope not!!

Whether or not Disney was "shafted" in the deal....I can't say. Though my guess would be that they were not. IMO, that's a completely separate discussion though from what to expect in regards to the the guest experience at LP. I do agree 100% on the feeling this could disappoint when compared to Castaway. I just don't see how this location will have the 'magic' and charm of Castaway, if it is not exclusive to DCL passengers. I'm sure it will be 100x better than a port like Nassau, but probably not as good as CC.

I think that is where I am at with it. But, who knows? I guess we shall have to wait and see how it turns out. So far, all we know from Disney is CC. We have never experienced a Disney shared island experience.

Just to add to some of the above comments, the area that Disney is getting is 750 acres. They are voluntarily giving up a portion to the Govt for preservation, plus they are not touching the salt pools on the island either. Also, they are not developing or touching the southern most end of the island. Only about 20% total will be developed. Disney is always doing things to protect the environment. Recently here in Fl, they bought like 1000 acres. Rumour had it they were building houses,neighborhoods like Celebration. Truth is its a land swap, like they did about 15 years ago. For every acre that Disney develops in its parks after a certain point, they buy more land elsewhere, restore it, and preserve it. I forget what its called off the top of my head, but there is a Disney Nature Preserve in Osceola County that was the original land swap purchase. There basically doing it again, this time in the Bahamas.

I guess my question is this, will ships go to both LP and CC in one trip, or either or?

I think youll see that the PC will use CC and Miami will get LHP. Occasionally you might see a double dip, to both.

I think youll see that the PC will use CC and Miami will get LHP. Occasionally you might see a double dip, to both.

Concur. A bit too far for a 3 or 4 nighter from PC, but well within reach of Miami. Possibly a new 5 night with both? Unlikely, as it screws up the rotation, but interesting.

almost doubling the size of the "Fleet" will screw up the rotation - naturally. And therefore LP will pixiedust: into existence.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter