• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone eat "clean" on a budget?

minnienmickey

Earning My Ears
Eating clean is a term based on a popular diet at the moment, but I use the term in the broader sense meaning all natural ingredients, at least as natural as I can find at the grocery store. I find it challenging to say the least to keep within my budget with the rising cost of groceries and the increased use of additional ingredients.

A few examples are:

- I bought a Walmart brand bottle of vanilla extract that said 100% all natural, when I got home I noticed corn syrup was listed as a main ingredient.
- The same thing for a package of dried cherries; there were juice concentrate from multiple sources, none of which were cherries also sugar and an unknown source of natural flavor. I tried to save my purchase by soaking the cherries with water in hopes of getting rid of all the unwanted ingredients, but they were completely tasteless afterwards. the brand was Craisins by ocean spray.

I do most of my shopping at our neighborhood Kroger mainly because they are almost priced the same as Walmart but a better selection of ingredients. To save money I buy things like rice and flour in bulk. I always look at the price per ounce on packaged goods and try to get the lowest provided I read the check for ingredients. I set
limitations based on this. For example I really like cheese, any and all kinds, but I will only buy it if the price per ounce is less than $0.20.

Some of my personal guidelines:

- Don't buy shredded cheese because of the extra ingredients which are not necessary
- Don't buy cream cheese anymore because the ingredients in it do nasty nasty things to my stomach
- I did learn how to make cream cheese from yogurt and I also know how to make yogurt from milk (and yogurt cultures)
- You can make butter in a blender with only one ingredient

Someone gave me a zojirushi breadmaker as a gift and it really made a huge difference in how I eat. I now have time and energy to make things like pizza, whole wheat bread, cakes, jams and more. Thrift stores often have breadmakers for sale for as little as $5. There are times when my willpower is tested on things like cookies where I have found only one brand in my price range with acceptable ingredients as I love dry-packaged cookies with my tea. Recently I saw a news special on tv discussing how 75% of olive oil contains other oils not listed as ingredients. I switched to using half olive oil and half sunflower oil, which is a decent alternative. My learning process never ends and I'm constantly modifying my methods.

So what kind of tips can you offer for eating healthy/natural/clean on a budget?

For me it is "shopping" outside of a traditional grocery store as much as possible. Veggies and fruit from the farmers market, milk from a small local dairy ( that's NOT homogenized And uses organic practices) then making yogurt, butter, cheese from the milk. Eggs from a nearby chicken farmer. We get a side of grass feed humane beef once a year directly from the small local rancher, same with pork and poultry. We have a couple honeybee farms near us so I get a gallon of raw honey every few months.
I buy as much as I can at a time to cut down on driving and combine trips.
This and making most foods from scratch helps control what we eat and keeps us on budget

Vanilla extract can be made with vanilla beans and quality vodka, actually a lot of extracts can be made at home for less :)

I agree with shopping outside of traditional grocery stores. I do occasionally use an HEB chain called Central Market and I frequently go to Sprouts. I'm not sure if this is just a Texas based chain or is nationwide, apologies for that. But I buy my meat from a local family farm that raises grass fed livestock, and also buy my eggs from this farm as well. I buy raw honey from a local farm that sells their honey through Sprouts. All of my produce from the farmers market and I make sure I buy the produce from farms that I am familiar with so I know exactly what they use to grow and harvest their crops. Our farmers market has a sign on each bin saying what farm each batch of produce comes from so it's easy for me to pick out the good from the questionable. I don't eat dairy so I do buy my almond milk and almond yogurt from Sprouts. I take iodine supplements that I purchase through the local Farmers Market, and I also get all of my household cleansers and cosmetic items from there as well. I find that I spend on average about the same as I would when I used to shop at Walmart or Kroger or Target. The price per item is more expensive shopping the way I do now, but I buy a lot less food and it is able to stretch out further and some items are able to be used for multiple purposes.

Going to the farmers market and also buying on-line. Right now I'm eliminating any refined products such as sugars - now I buy raw sugar. I've been substituting flour for almond flour for baking. I buy organic eggs also.

I am in the process of finding websites that can provide non-GMO products - mainly flour. Because all flour sold in stores is pretty much GMO, it is messing with people's bodies healthwise.

It is definitely more expensive to eat "clean" but I think well worth it for our health. So far, I haven't had to sacrifice too much, just am changing the sources of the food I consume.

I think the main thing is to shift what you eat that is healthy to what is on sale and "clean" and just stay away from processed foods as much as possible. "Clean" processed foods labeled healthy in some way (organic , natural etc.) are just going to cost more. An Amy's burrito in our store costs $2.35, I can make a dozen from scratch, individualized to my families tastes and freeze them and not even spend that. Our rule is if it has a nutrition label, it is not nutritious. My kids do get cookies and such, but we make all of it from scratch. My family loves avocadoes and guacamole. I always buy on sale, in season and freeze pureed avocado for use later on.
I just joined a CSA, and love farmer's markets. If you go at closing time you may end up with some deals- last year I got several bushels of apples for free when a farmer heard I was buying apples as a treat for the horses my dd's ride. It was the end of the season and he didn't want to have to pack them back up.
I grow several things year round with grow lights. I don't always have a huge garden but I always keep herbs and a few other easy growers like a bowl of salad greens.
It is always a work in progress.

100% natural is a marketing gimmick. Look for certified non-GMO or organic if you are looking to eat cleanly.

Someone wasn't sure if Central Market was Texas based. Yes, HEB is only available in Texas. I love Central Market.

We are a family of 5 and we eat cleanly, about 85% organic. Our budget is $600 a month. We get order our grass fed beef direct from the farmer. We have a CSA crop share from a local farm, grow vegetables in our garden, and shop our local farmers market.

If you want to save money, start cooking everything from scratch. At a conventional grocery store, start shopping their bulk bin products for dried fruit, beans, oats, etc. Many times it is cheaper and the price per ounce you are looking for. You aren't paying for the packaging. If you're store doesn't have bulk bins, shop the lower shelves in the store. That is generally where stores sell bulk items like beans, rice, etc.

I write a clean eating blog at www.ourlittlefamilyadventure.wordpress.com. I have more information about saving money, recipes, where to find CSAs, and more. Stop by.

Nicky

I think the main thing is to shift what you eat that is healthy to what is on sale and "clean" and just stay away from processed foods as much as possible. "Clean" processed foods labeled healthy in some way (organic , natural etc.) are just going to cost more. An Amy's burrito in our store costs $2.35, I can make a dozen from scratch, individualized to my families tastes and freeze them and not even spend that. Our rule is if it has a nutrition label, it is not nutrious. My kids do get cookies and such, but we make all of it from scratch. My family loves avocadoes and guacamole. I always buy on sale, in season and freeze pureed avocado for use later on.
I just joined a CSA, and love farmer's markets. If you go at closing time you may end up with some deals- last year I got several bushels of apples for free when a farmer heard I was buying apples as a treat for the horses my dd's ride. It was the end of the season and he didn't want to have to pack them back up.
I grow several things year round with grow lights. I don't always have a huge garden but I always keep herbs and a few other easy growers like a bowl of salad greens.
It is always a work in progress.

This is simply not true at all. TONS of healthy nutritious stuff have nutrition labels. Quickly looking through my pantry rice, pastas, dried beans and lentil, nuts, dried fruits ect. all have nutrition lables and they are nothing but healthy. I have a huge bag of organic greens in my fridge with a nutrition label, same with my organic baby carrots that my kids snack on and my frozen fruit that I blend in smoothies.

As far as eating "clean" on a budget try Costco if you don't mind buying in bulk. I get a lot of things there for a great price. I store nuts, grains and flours in my freezer to make them last longer. I also buy produce there. We are family of 5 on a plant based diet so we go through it quickly. It definitely takes more time and money to eat this way as throwing a frozen pizza in the oven with a loaf of garlic bread would be far easier and cheaper then the meals I cook. Taste and quality do not compare. Tonight on the menu is homemade minestrone, bruchetta and a salad. Dinner will be done in under an hour (chopping the veggies takes time) and be much better for my family then the alternative.

You're already doing the single smartest thing possible - reading product labels.

The "Organic/Natural" crapola that's pasted on boxes today is largely advertising nonsense, because there's nothing that mandates those terms mean anything in practical terms - except, of course, a jack-up in the price.

I see different cereals that have been whole-grain, no sugar, "under the radar" suddenly pasting the word "Organic" or "All natural" on their boxes, and guess what - its the same darned cereal they've been selling for years.

So just avoid the advertising hype, read the labels (as you've been doing), and that's about the best due-diligence you can get.

100% natural is a marketing gimmick. Look for certified non-GMO or organic if you are looking to eat cleanly.

100% means nothing...GMOs are considered 'natural.' And the more studies that manage to leak out the worse they seem. Just this morning I saw an article about GMO corn vs non-GMO. Non-GMO is 20 times richer in nutrition. The same article said non-GMO corn was found to be free of chlorides, formaldehyde, glyphosate, and other harmful chemicals, while in GMO corn they were identified in dangerously high levels. Plus GMO corn contains about 19 times more glyphosate than is permitted as a maximum in drinking water.

Link to the article if anyone is interested.

What's really been bothering me lately is the term, "natural flavor". I see it on many organic products including baby food. I know what the parameters for that term are (less than favorable) and I've been disappointed by more than a few organic companies.

I refuse to buy any products with that term. I feel that if a company stands behind their organic product, they will go beyond what's regulated for the label details and go above an TELL ME the specific "flavors".

And of course my ultimate goal is to make my own foods rather than buy the product (baby food, snacks for lunch boxes) but sometimes it's just not feasible for various reasons.

My family of 3 eats "clean" on a $600 budget (budget includes household items as well as hygiene stuff too)- that may seem like a lot but I also have over 40 food/skin allergies and intolerances so I truly struggle to eat what is safe, clean and affordable. My food choices are so limited and I eat LOTS of protein which can be expensive. I even have to buy expensive shampoos and soaps to avoid soy products which is very hard for the clearance shopper in me! I was just (finally after years of chronic illness) diagnosed with my allergies a year ago so it's been a massive lifestyle overhaul. However, I do believe it is worth it 100%! As others have said, looking at the ingredients and labels is a great start. Baking and cooking from scratch is hard and time consuming but is a budget saver because you don't pay the mark-up for specialty stuff. My number one thing that keeps me on budget and eating clean is MEAL PLANNING. When I sit down and plan two weeks at a time while looking at my family's schedule, I am sure to stick to a budget, avoid wasting anything (I always cook double meals and freeze a meal for those days we have no time to cook and we use leftovers for breakfasts and lunches), and it keeps me feeling positive about eating clean. When I'm stressed is when I'm tempted to break the budget or make bad food choices. Planning takes a little time but keeps me sane :) good luck and way to go on making this important choice for your family!

I doa good part of my shopping at Whole Foods. While it's not exactlya budget grocery stoer, they do offer a few items that are fairly inexpensive. In one sense, I don't research every item completely, but I do read labels.

I avoid many extra sweeteners, transfats, almost all corn syrup.

I also shop at farmer's markets. Funny thing is, I notice that WF carries some of the FM goods- so I know when I'm buying thsoe items I'm getting something local and I know the farmer - even if it's not a FM day.

Another trick I use to keep food on a budget is that I shop across several grocery stores.

Another big tip is to see if you have any ethnic markets around. I have several to choose from. Some are tiny and don't offemuch that's great. Several however offer lovely organic, exotic greens at REALLY great prices. Like WF carries bok choy about 70% of the time- but only one variety. By shopping at local Asian marekts, I discovered there's a large variety of veggies that are all what I would call bok choy they all have names...but not so much in English. There's also a number of fresh winter veggies - often kind of a winter 'lettuce.' Not what we woudl call lettuce, but a slightly sturdier veggie. You have to be alittle brave sometimes, but many are really delicious. A common way to prepare them is to saute them with a little oil, maybe garlic, maybe fresh ginger root, maybe soy sauce, and most certainly somehing called mirin (look for one without added sugar). The best oil to get a an Asian taste is sesame oil. I mix regualr sesame oil and a few rops of toasted sesmae oil. The flavor is pretty potent. I also basically use the same forlula tomake my own 'fried rice'- but mine has far more eggs/veggies and less oil than anything from a retaurant. (Use a mild oil and basmati or jasmine rice for another take). Be sure to use COLD leftover rice! Add the rice last, it just has to heat.

Ethnic markets are also geat places to find a huge assortment of noodles, rice, tea. The difference in tea prices is simply astounding! Ten Ren is a great tea brand.

Wow, lots of great advice! My budget may be shocking to some, but it is $120-150 a month, that is for 2 people. I used to go to farmers markets, but the ones in my current area aren't what I would call farmers markets so much as kitschy gourmet food booths. Farm fresh eggs are $1 per egg, that would blow my budget for the 18 pack we usually buy. I use eggs for breakfast, for making pasta and baking.

Wow, lots of great advice! My budget may be shocking to some, but it is $120-150 a month, that is for 2 people. I used to go to farmers markets, but the ones in my current area aren't what I would call farmers markets so much as kitschy gourmet food booths. Farm fresh eggs are $1 per egg, that would blow my budget for the 18 pack we usually buy. I use eggs for breakfast, for making pasta and baking.

Wow I don't know how you do it! As a family of 5 we spend $1000/mth and that's buying no meat eggs or dairy! Although some of the alternatives like organic almond milk cost more than regular milk. We spend at least $100/wk just on fresh produce at Costco!

Wow I don't know how you do it! As a family of 5 we spend $1000/mth and that's buying no meat eggs or dairy! Although some of the alternatives like organic almond milk cost more than regular milk.

I do feel like we have to cut corners to achieve our budget, particularly not eating organic, but I think a huge part of it is that my fiancé is vegetarian/pescetarian and meat is outrageously expensive. I can say we do get all of the protein, fats and carbohydrates we need and hopefully all the vitamins as we do eat a lot of veggies.

For me it is "shopping" outside of a traditional grocery store as much as possible. Veggies and fruit from the farmers market, milk from a small local dairy ( that's NOT homogenized And uses organic practices) then making yogurt, butter, cheese from the milk. Eggs from a nearby chicken farmer. We get a side of grass feed humane beef once a year directly from the small local rancher, same with pork and poultry. We have a couple honeybee farms near us so I get a gallon of raw honey every few months.
I buy as much as I can at a time to cut down on driving and combine trips.
This and making most foods from scratch helps control what we eat and keeps us on budget

Vanilla extract can be made with vanilla beans and quality vodka, actually a lot of extracts can be made at home for less :)

Non-homogenized milk is one thing I cannot find at the grocery stores here. I forgot about the vanilla and vodka tip, it's a bit of an overhead cost, but will pay off in the long run.

I agree with shopping outside of traditional grocery stores. I do occasionally use an HEB chain called Central Market and I frequently go to Sprouts. I'm not sure if this is just a Texas based chain or is nationwide, apologies for that. But I buy my meat from a local family farm that raises grass fed livestock, and also buy my eggs from this farm as well. I buy raw honey from a local farm that sells their honey through Sprouts. All of my produce from the farmers market and I make sure I buy the produce from farms that I am familiar with so I know exactly what they use to grow and harvest their crops. Our farmers market has a sign on each bin saying what farm each batch of produce comes from so it's easy for me to pick out the good from the questionable. I don't eat dairy so I do buy my almond milk and almond yogurt from Sprouts. I take iodine supplements that I purchase through the local Farmers Market, and I also get all of my household cleansers and cosmetic items from there as well. I find that I spend on average about the same as I would when I used to shop at Walmart or Kroger or Target. The price per item is more expensive shopping the way I do now, but I buy a lot less food and it is able to stretch out further and some items are able to be used for multiple purposes.

I grew up on Sprouts then called Sun Harvest in the Austin area. :) We do have central market here, trader joes and whole foods, but I prefer Kroger because I can walk there and I know I can stay within my budget. I do miss sprouts quite a bit and could easily stay in my budget with their double deal Wednesdays. For household cleaners I pretty much make my own using distiller vinegar and water.

We spend at least $100/wk just on fresh produce at Costco!

We saved money on vegetables and produce by joining a CSA. If you aren't familiar with a CSA, it's Community Supported Agriculture. You pay a share to a farmer and the farmer delivers a box/bag/share of food each week.

I spend $30 per week on my CSA. My share is enough for 2 adults and 3 kids for 1 week. I only have to add a few pieces of fruit for my kids. Prices and offerings vary by farmer and can include everything from vegetables to farm eggs. I found my CSA through www.localharvest.org. You can find CSAs, farmers markets, farms, etc by searching by location. I also found my raw milk supplier on the site by searching the farms listed.

Just something I'll throw out there, after reading the OP's vanilla extract story... the terms "natural" or "all natural" have no legal definition, at least in the US. (Compare with things like "USDA organic" or "contains organic ingredients", which do have actual definitions behind them.)

I'm not advocating for organic, either, just explaining some technicalities I've found.

100% means nothing...GMOs are considered 'natural.' And the more studies that manage to leak out the worse they seem. Just this morning I saw an article about GMO corn vs non-GMO. Non-GMO is 20 times richer in nutrition. The same article said non-GMO corn was found to be free of chlorides, formaldehyde, glyphosate, and other harmful chemicals, while in GMO corn they were identified in dangerously high levels. Plus GMO corn contains about 19 times more glyphosate than is permitted as a maximum in drinking water.

GMOs are something I am concerned about. I'm sure some are getting by me. I do try to avoid all corn products and some squash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter