Does anyone do wdw slowly and relax?

kiwitinkerbell

kiwigirl
I was wondering if there was anyone out there that tours wdw without power walking everywhere? We are visiting dec 18 to 23 before our cruise and then again jan 5 to 14 after our cruise and I think we are just going to chill out. Take time to sit on a bench when we want to and just soak up the atmosphere. Does anyone else do this? It will just be my friend and I, no children.

We have our last two trips. We are definitely not nearly as tired. It is so wonderful to truly take in the sounds, smells and details that we have missed in the past as we are on a "mission" to to do much.

As an example, our last trip we were there for 12 days, and went to the parks 10 of those days. Only one of those days was a full day of rope drop, till close, which included AM EMH at Epcot. Anyway, is past trips which are usually 6-7 park days we may ride the majority of the rides 4 or more times each. This last trip we rode maybe 1-2 times each, with the exception of many headliners at each park. Of course we were always there at rope drop, and utilize the FP.

I think I could spend a month, or more:rotfl: at WDW daily and just take it all in:goodvibes

Yes, every trip!

For instance, we'll go to MK for maybe two hours in the morning, then when it starts to get crowded for me, take the monorail over to a resort, like the GF or the Poly, have a little lunch at the snack bar area, relax, have some wine maybe, then head over to Epcot. Or head back to the hotel after MK for a swim and relax by the pool. We do not go morning till night, we get park hoppers (or have had AP's a few times), and we enjoy the theme parks when we're in them. We walk around and see the little details.

Matter of fact, this month we're going for 15 nights (not staying at a Disney resort, since I'm not thrilled with spending a fortune on them anymore, rather spent less than $1000 on two bedroom Marriott condos right nearby). I'll cook some, and we'll enjoy the pools and take it easy.

We go a lot and still haven't done or seen everything.

This is my favorite way. I try to avoid going with people who have to go, go, go every minute, it's just not fun for me. When I'm on vacation I don't want a "to-do" list!

For me, being able to enjoy the details WDW does so well keeps me coming back, and is a main reason I go solo alot. It amazed me that I could spend a day or two just visiting various resorts; holiday decorations at each is spectacular. You will be there at the perfect time, the gingerbread house at GF is a must-see.

Taking our time and relaxing is what it's all about for my DW and I now. Believe it or not, going to WDW is supposed to be relaxing, a vacation, a getaway from reality. You not supposed to be more worn out after the vacation.

Yes, the first few times it was a little more hectic for us but it was more getting to the park at rope drop just to get in what would have crazy lines later in the day. But that's it, we never used any touring plans, we never had an itinerary to follow.

Now when we go, we still go at rope drop to hit a headliner (Toy Story Mania, Soarin etc) but that's it. We take our time, enjoy the shows, chat with CM's, get pics with characters, check out the stores, enjoy the atmosphere etc. If we don't ride something, oh well, there is always next time. I see too many where the success of their WDW vacation depends on how many rides they got on.

<<< been so many times, no need to rush anymore. If I feel like it, I had back to the room midday to take a nap (gasp).

I was wondering if there was anyone out there that tours wdw without power walking everywhere? We are visiting dec 18 to 23 before our cruise and then again jan 5 to 14 after our cruise and I think we are just going to chill out. Take time to sit on a bench when we want to and just soak up the atmosphere. Does anyone else do this? It will just be my friend and I, no children.

Yup! Our trip last month was 11 days, so it was the perfect amount to just do what we wanted to do when we wanted to do it. We have never completed a Disney vacation without feeling exhausted, but this one was great!!!! We plan to tour that way from here on out! :thumbsup2

We do! The first trip we ever took, we attempted the 'do it all' commando style touring. By day 4, we were lucky we were speaking to each other we were so darn TIRED and cranky. We learned real quick that our family was not rope drop to close type of people.

Now, we go to a park, hang out until we have seen what we want to see, eat maybe, go back to the resort and nap, pool or arcade...whatever relaxes us. Then in the evening we go back out.

This works best for us. We need our vacation to feel like a vacation when we get home. The first trip, even the first couple days it felt like we never had a vacation. Live and learn!

Kelly

Reading this makes me wish those 3 weeks till my holiday comes fly by even more!

Last couple of times ive been with a group who just has to do something every second of the day. Thats fine but this time im going the relax way aswell, just jumping on a random buss in the morning, pool/nap afternoon and nighttime park fun. Strolling though the stores and just sitting in a tactical spot somewhere and enjoying the moment.

Yes we do now. Kids are now grown and the last three times my DW and I have gone we just take our time and really enjoy. We also enjoyed it with the kids, we were never the high energy commandos, but now its a different pace and we love it so much.

Yes all the time, it's much more enjoyable!! Our first trip (with kids) I thought we had to race thru the parks getting everything "done" and not miss a thing. Turns out we actually missed a lot that way:( Now we go with a general plan but nothing that has us rushing here and there. We spen a lot of time just exploring and taking it all in and it works out much better for us:thumbsup2 After all it's a vacation a time to slow things down:)

Laurie

Yes, every trip since the 1st one with the kids. That one we went hard and heavy! After that one, we learned to take it all in and enjoy the moment. We enjoy the sounds, sights and smells. We take time to enjoy the treats and beauty of the parks. We figure if we miss something, we'll get it next trip.

Relax at WDW.....Never! :rotfl2:

In all seriousness, we normally take 2, sometimes 3, vacations a year with one being a week at some east coast beach. That's when we relax. I am usually by the pool of our rental house drinking beer or Wild Turkey trying to forget the stress of a normally fast paced life filled with lots of kids activities :cool1:. However, we only go to WDW every 2 or 3 years. Our last trip was December 2011 and we will more than likely not go back until some time in 2014.

When we go to the World, I like to push the family to get as much in as possible. When we spend over $10K for a week long stay at the GF, I feel as though I need to get my "money's worth".

My guess is the people who really do relax when at WDW go way more often than we do or stay more days when they go. If I went every year or 2 I could relax a little more knowing I was going to be back soon. If we were there for 14 or 21 days I would definitely be able to find the time to relax.

Our last trip was 9 days/8 nights with 2 of the days being arrival day (later) and departure day (noonish) so we really only had 7 days. We typically hit MK 2 days, Epcot 2 Days, AK 1 day, DHS 1 day, and DTD 1 day. That's 7 there. No extra days to "relax". I guess the DTD day can be somewhat relaxing. Other than that, we don't take a day to hit the pool or tour the resorts. While we do take time out from the park to spin down midday if it is hot, we do not set aside a specific day for the pool.

AND.....my wife and kids hate it when I am up at 7:00 telling them to wake up so we can get to a park. I typically get up at 5:00am for work to miss traffic so 7:00 is sleeping in for me :).

In the end, no matter your touring strategy, as long as you can talk about your vacation for years to come and make great memories it was worth it. My oldest daughter and I still laugh about the time we were leaving MK and she was holding my hand and I directed her straight into one of the trash cans in the tunnels under the train station - and that was 6 years ago.

One of the best parts about Disney is relaxing and taking in the atmosphere. After 26 years of doing just that I've been able to observe the "commandos" as well as others like me. I suppose you can do more rides and attractions rushing around, but you miss so much. I see folks who don't take time to enjoy the entertainment because they have to get to the next ride, and then they get frustrated with those of us who slow them down. Besides, some of the best entertainment at WDW is watching the people and chatting with people you meet. You just have to stay to the side so you don't get run over by a crazed parent pushing their stroller through the crowds. I understand that a lot of folks have limited time to see as much as they can, but I also learned many years ago that it's impossible to do and see everything in one trip and enjoy any of it.

That's the only way we do WDW. :)

I feel so sorry for those poor kids that we see every trip being dragged everywhere in "must do/must see" mode, or trotting to keep up with Mom or Dad and they all look miserable. That isn't what WDW is about. :(

I used to do the "Commando" thing and plan every last detail. Now i just plan one sit down meal a day and plan on which park/s we will be in each day. I'm an early riser so getting there for rope drop is no big deal. We head back to the room and nap or swim at lunch and go back in mid afternoon to the parks.

My best time ever at WDW was last summer, 8/2011, when my older son and I browsed from country to country all afternoon at World Showcase. We shopped and i tried wine flights from each country. We just strolled from country to country taking pictures and relaxing. It was great.

I can understand if you are just there for two to four days where you might want to pack more in, but i usually go for at least 7 nights and take my time.

We do both. We now live about an hour away from the Mouse. When we have family or friends visiting, we tour at their pace, usually a bit commando, but when it is just dh and myself, we tend to take our time and enjoy the little things. Having said that, before we lived so close, we always tried to see and do as much as we could on each trip. Do what works for you!!!

Absolutely! Only time in life I would ever power-walk is if I need to catch up with the ice-cream van ;)

We have a certain park style, not agreeable to all - we go to the park with late EMH, we get there for around 9-9.30am and spend the whole day leisurely taking it all in, we plan an early TS meal which is where we rest, regroup and talk about our day so far. We stay til closing. We manage to see and do everything and are not exhausted :)

On my trip in December, we scheduled a "relax" day with a dinner ADR at HS- I wanted to make sure to visit at least one night during the trip to see the Osbourne lights. My boyfriend and I slept till about 9am, went for a run, showered and were ready to hit the park again by noon. I figured we'd relax at the pool or wander through the resorts but we were ready to get back at it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter