does anyone dislike the AKL theming?

Love, love, LOVE the AKL and are so very lucky to be staying at Kidani in November!!

Though I completely understand that no resort can be everything to everybody and Disney has found a way to please (almost) all of us, I will never understand the comments re: AKL's lack of Disney theming. Other than the obvious/in-your-face Disney theming at some of the value resorts, what other resorts are any more "Disney Themed" than AKL? For example, you can link AKL (especially Kidani) to the Lion King movie and obviously, the whole AK theme park, not to mention Disney's long history of animal world/world culture documentaries.

Hey....this might make a fun new thread-how is your favorite resort "Disney Themed"? Here I go....

Love, love, LOVE the AKL and are so very lucky to be staying at Kidani in November!!

Though I completely understand that no resort can be everything to everybody and Disney has found a way to please (almost) all of us, I will never understand the comments re: AKL's lack of Disney theming. Other than the obvious/in-your-face Disney theming at some of the value resorts, what other resorts are any more "Disney Themed" than AKL? For example, you can link AKL (especially Kidani) to the Lion King movie and obviously, the whole AK theme park, not to mention Disney's long history of animal world/world culture documentaries.

Hey....this might make a fun new thread-how is your favorite resort "Disney Themed"? Here I go....
Good points. How is a place like the Grand Floridian or the Boardwalk more Disney themed? I don't see it.

We love the AKL. We did a split stay between POP and AKL a couple of years ago and just fell in love with the place. It's supposed to be representative of an African village. We didn't think the rooms were dark, but parts of some of the hallways were. We found the theming to be very relaxing. So many things to look at. Plus there's look-out areas along the halls where you can see the animals if you don't have a savannah room. There's also a 2:00 tour of the facility explaining the different artifacts. The pool area is spectacular. The only thing we didn't like about the resort was their bus service. It's really pretty bad in our opinion. With that said, we're doing a split again in August of 2011 between POP and AKL. Sooo looking forward to it.

LOVE it too! I was suprised I did as mucha s I do because I like light and lots of it. So don't discount (anyone reading not having been) that you won't like it becuase it's dark. You might be surprised like I was. It felt like walking into a completely differnt world. YET, touches (not screaming) of Disney everywhere. :lovestruc
THIS! vvv
I will say that I was skeptical at first. I thought it looked too dark for my taste....that is until I stayed there.
OMG - I couldn't believe how fast I changed my opinion. I LOVE it!!!

I loved the lobby, and the rest of the public spaces. I thought the theming was spot on, it's, IMO, one of the most fully-immersed themes on-property. As for the room, I was fascinated by the wallpaper in the sink area. I would love to have in my own bathroom, but I did find the bedroom area itself to be rather dark.

Just got back this afternoon from our first stay at AKL and we enjoyed it! It was great and we liked the theming and our room. Decided it was better than our last stay at the Poly! Would stay there again in the future.

LOVE it too! I was suprised I did as mucha s I do because I like light and lots of it. So don't discount (anyone reading not having been) that you won't like it becuase it's dark. You might be surprised like I was. It felt like walking into a completely differnt world. YET, touches (not screaming) of Disney everywhere. :lovestruc
THIS! vvv

LOVE IT three! My entire house is bright and airy, decorated in light, neutral colors so I was taken by surprise at how much I enjoyed the resort. The dark furnishings and dim lighting just added to the amazing atmosphere in the lobby and our room. I was totally immersed in the experience.

The only thing I wished for is a little more light in the bathroom. I couldn't see if I missed a spot when applying foundation. LOL.

I really like the AKL theming. However I do not like it's location, feeling very far from everything but the AK. I also dont like that there is no body of water at the resort. I strongly prefer being at a resort on the SSL or BL.

The only thing I wished for is a little more light in the bathroom. I couldn't see if I missed a spot when applying foundation. LOL.

Oh agreed!!!!:goodvibes I think all of the WDW resorts I've stayed at could use a higher watt bulb set in the bathrooms! UGH!

I'm not a big fan of the resort. I thought the African theme was OK but I just didn't care for the layout of the resort. Also it looked way too much like Wilderness Lodge, but not as good as WL IMHO.

Not me, I quite like it. Definitely one of my favorite themes.

We love it just like we love all the other deluxe and moderate resorts for the same reasons. Each one transports you to a different place or at least gives you a feel of being in that location. I definitely feel it is Disney like because they use the theming to its fullest to make you feel as though you are in an African Lodge house at AKL, the Poly you feel like you're in the islands, etc, etc. That's why we always stay on disney property.... the theming.

I am not a fan of the theming. I would most likely not pick this resort to stay at due to the theming and limited transportation options.

I'm not a fan of the theme. I've never stayed there so my opinion is strictly based on pictures. It would be my last choice for a deluxe, but I think the concept of having the animals right there is pretty neat.

Have not stayed there, just stopped in for dinner at Boma one night (didn't care for it much), and looked at the rooms online. It is not to my taste, but I know I am in the minority. I thought it was quite dark and "heavy" feeling, personally.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter