• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone bicycle for exercise?

Misty89

DIS Veteran
Wondering if anyone rides a reg ( a reg one you ride on trails or the road) bike? And if you do, how long do you ride? and length? what areas do you notice it works out? And mostly, have you seen results from it?

the weather is getting a little better around here and i am going to start biking ( have not rodea bike in 10 years :rotfl2: ) so it will be slow and easy till i am used to it again.

thanks

Tina

Its my favorite form of exercise. Unfortunately, its more difficult where I live to do , safety wise. You really have to make sure you have nice wide roads to ride on. Where I live the narrow country roads make it really dangerous, so I'm limited to riding in subdivisions mostly. I think its useful, in that you are out and moving, but I dont think I can burn as many calories as other cardio exercises. If you are riding on a bike trail you can probably burn a lot but on regular subdivision roads you coast too much. Its impossible to keep your legs in constant motion. But I still recommend it as at least a part of your exercise because its fun, and that means you'll do it! :sunny:

I was able to lose 40 pounds while pedaling my big behind 5 years ago. It is just like any other exercise in that you still need to do it for periods of time. Unfortunately a single exercise period can take hours. Most people do not raise their heart rates into a cardio range like they do on other pieces of exercise equipment. None the less I still love riding my bike. I started by riding my mountain bike on a path 4-6 days a week, building up to 19 miles each time out. I got into a nice routine and my wife started joining me too. We now each have mt and road bikes, riding fairly regularly. We did get to a point where it seemed our cardio was stagnant, so we supplemented it with running, then swimming. Riding my bike is now supplemental to my other exercises I do, but pedaling is still my favorite.

Like all new exercises and being that you have not ridden in 10 years, take baby steps by going maybe a mile or 2, and add a little each time as you feel comfortable. You will develop a routine and your favorite routes. If this is going to be your primary exercise, I recommend you do it as often someone else may go on a treadmill (or other piece of exercise equipment).

You will want to make sure your bike is in good working condition (a local bike shop can help with this). I also recommend wearing your helmet all the time. I know they make most of us look “goofy”, but we will look a lot worse if there was an accident with no helmet.

Todd

:moped: Turn the motor off!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter