Does anyone actually prefer staying in a studio?

I'm sure that most would prefer the space of the the 1-bed but balance that off with more time if a studio is used. I think of the 1-bed as a 'treat'. We book one for this April in OKW. As the time for the vacation got closer we both looked at the point usage and changed our minds. We'll now bank those extra 100 points and see what we can do with them in the next use year !

Studios are bigger that the 'value' rooms. The kitchenette layout is very useful. We can work breakfast (and sometimes quick lunches) when we go with the kids. We it's just the two of us for F&W there lots of room for a bar !!!

Try it for this trip. I think you will be very happy

I have stayed in a 2 BR in OKW, which was bigger than our house. (kidding..almost). Last year we stayed in a studio 13 out of the 20 days we were there, a 1 BR the other nights. We are staying in a 2 BR lock-out in VWL this June. Last year we did 2 studios, and that was great. Our three children (11, 15, 21) had one, and DW and I had the other. That was great! We chose the 2 BR this year because we are taking DS's girl friend with us, so the three girls will be in the lock-out, so we can lock them out. :thumbsup2 I agree with not having the laundry facility in the unit as being the biggest draw back from studios. Perhaps they could take the ten foot closet, chop it down to 2 feet, and put washer/dryer combo in the rest of that wasted space. My parents would never want to stay in anything other than a studio. As far as a 1 BR, unless you really want the kitchen, and laundry, it's a waste of points IMO. I will never do a 1 BR again. I may never do another 2 BR again either. The 2 studios is ALLOT cheaper, and very nice in terms of the kids having their own space. Of course with my kids being older now they really appreciate this. Our DS (15) said it feels like they are on vacation by themselves (yeah with my wallet next door :rotfl2: ) My vote: STUDIO!

Chuck S said:
It really is an advantage to have the washer in the 1 bedroom in case you get drenched from rain or clothes are soiled to just get back to the room and pop them in the washer.

or, as we found out, when your 16 month old get the puking virus in the middle of the night :crazy2: .

in the past we've done mostly studios as our two children are small but i wanted to splurge for our our first time at VWL. i am soooo glad i did.

BEACHCLUBVILLAS said:
I do miss the washer/dryer in the room more than I miss the kitchen. I think the studio will be fine and you get to stay longer.
ITA!!! :)

We've done all types of DVC accommodations (except Grand Villas) and have no problem "moving" between them, depending on what we want/need for a particular trip. We love the flexibility of DVC!! :goodvibes

Yikes, I didn't need to read this thread, but I have and luckily, I have until tomorrow to decide. We have 4 nights in an OKW one bedroom coming up in June (88 already borrowed points), and DS, 28, just told me that if it was humanly possible, he would love to visit WDW with the whole family in August. DS's ressie will be 70 points, if a studio is available at VWL, we will waitlist, whatever it takes to get him with us.

We have about 150 (550 in the contract) points in '07 left to borrow. This June time is special for DH and myself, we have a 1 night stay at the BCV for June 10th, that's the 40th anniversary of our meeting :love:, and then the 1 bedroom and then 3 nights at the Florida beach, in a Mariott resort. We begin this trip with ME to PC for Friday night. This is a 9 night Florida vacation for just us!

We could switch over our 88 points to a studio somewhere, not OKW, since we do not like the studio set there up for 2 people. Switching to a studio for the 4 nights, anywhere but OKW would mean that we only have to borrow 30 extra points, but this may be our only chance for a 1 bedroom stay in awhile. We're giving others the master bedroom in our 2 upcoming 2 bedroom stays, they are our honored guests.

I will continue to read what people think about studios. We have always been happy in them, or a two bedroom when the situations called for it, but we also want to experience the 1 bedroom luxury of OKW. I suppose the convenience of the laundry is also a factor, since we will be going elsewhere after OKW and fresh clothes to start that vacation would be great!

If anyone cares to help me make this decision, please do. Last night I made the PC ressie for 2 nights, but today I decided that the 1 night stay at BCV studio was non-negotiable, it is our special night and Heman's Hermits will be doing the Flower Power concert that night. So, what we have is 1 night PC, 1 night in a studo at BCV, 4 _______________ nights, and the 3 nights in Hutchinson Beach FL.

Thank you.

Bobbi :wave2:

If you are thinking of using all your points to stay in a 1 br - then paying cash for a mod. room - why not just rent the extra points & have them transfered & stay in a 1 br. the entire trip?

If that doesn't work - then I would take a studio for an entire trip over a Mod. for even part of the trip any day. A studio has everything you need - & the little kitchen area is great for storing left-overs, breakfast stuff, etc.

If you're OK in a hotel room, you'll be fine in a studio.

We liked studios fine when it was the two of us. But now that we have a little one who turns in by 9 p.m., we almost always get larger accommodations so we don't have to tiptoe around the room.

Also, my reasoning is that I bought DVC so I wouldn't have to do the one-room thing. I did the Days Inn crammed in one room thing for years...no more!

we just booked our first trip as DVC members. We got the studio, don't see any reason for anything bigger as we plan to eat in the parks anyway. The full sized coffee maker in the studio is all we need. Besides, after staying in values our last two trips, anything is a step up.

The whirlpool of the 1 bedroom is nice, but we've got a spa at home, so no loss there either.

A studio is fine when it's just the two of us, so at spring break we are renting a 2 bedroom for a week, then moving to a studio when everyone else goes home. We are OK with that, but I can certainly say that I would prefer staying put in a two bedroom if I could! :thumbsup2 We make 2-3 trips in a year, and alternate the sizes of the accommodations. Hey, I would rent a grande villa if I could, but a studio works just fine! :)

The studio's are really awesome, especially when you compare them to a regular hotel room!!! Very spacious and no need to cook!!!! You can wash clothes by the main pool, if you wish. I believe that they are still free???? They are the second bedroom of a 2 bedroom unit and have 2 queen beds (not a pullout). When our grown children go, that is what they always get. When we go (without kids), we always get a one bedroom because of the living room, which we love. It makes us really feel like we are "home". We are older than most of you here (I would guess), and we don't do anything close to "commando" anymore. We enjoy the complex, the pools and of course all of the parks, but never rush around any more. The only "cooking" we do is breakfast, english muffins, cereal or eggs. We have been members since 1994 and have added on many times, and we still go every year, several times......It is our absolute favorite place!!!!!

The max amt of party in my group is 2... :)
When I feel like splurging I'll do a 1 bedroom, otherwise the studio is more then enough. Even if I don't have a whole kitchen, microwave and little fridge is sufficient for the type of food I bring on my vacation (mostly microwaveable... :) ).
The only thing I miss is the washer dryer... but hey, there's always the free laundry room.
And I just think about how many points I'm saving by staying in a studio instead of a 1 bedroom.

We are pretty much the same as eveyrone else here. 1 bedrooms are nice, but we often end up trading that for more days (or more trips) in a studio. We make it work ok. I agree about bringing a portable DVD player, that helps.

While we don't need all a 1 bedroom offeres (with young kids it is just as easy to all be in the same room for now,) I find there isn't enough storage space for cothes in a studio. Not enough drawers and such. It makes for a messy trip. We stayed at PORS last May and found we all fit a bit better, the amore was much bigger.

Other then that studios are fine with us, I will take what I can get with a 170 point contract. As it is we are in a constant state of borrowing points. :rolleyes1

We usually opt for the one bedroom if we are going for a week or more. We will stay in a studio for a short stay of 3 or 4 nights. We have even splurged for a 2 bedroom (there are only 3 of us) for some stays. Alot of time we take other family memebers or friends with us and need the space of a grand villa. That is why we love DVC--the choices we have.
Paula

We have a studio ressie for May but we are thinking of forking out the extra cash for a 1BR. Me, DH, and DD (who is 8 & 1/2 by the way). I was wondering about the difference in size of the balcony? I know that the studios have balconies, but are they really that much bigger in a 1BR? I'm just wondering if the 1BR is worth an extra $535.00 for a 5 night stay (not only because of the balcony). I'm trying to take everything into consideration. Full kitchen versus kitchenette type, washer/dryer, nice whirlpool and huge walk-in shower (saw pictures on DVC website/virtual tour), separate sleeping arrangements for me and DH away from DD, ;) . What do you "experts" think? This is our first DVC stay and not sure that this really matters, but we probably won't be able to get back to WDW before a couple of years after this trip. TIA! By the way, we'll be at OKW.

We have stayed in a studio right from the start. Our way of thinking is that all we do is eat breakfast,sleep, and shower there.
We put in a lot of miles when we're at WDW.

A couple of comments. Play the cards you're dealt; and go with your personal preferences. If you don't have points to burn, stay where you points will allow you to afford. If you don't have enough points to stay in a larger unit, the studios are great. If you don't mind switching rooms; try a combination. If you can afford the cash outlay, switch from points to cash (with a member discount) for the weekend nights when points seem to melt. If you're out of the room before sunup and back after midnight, the room isn't that important anyway.
But if you have the points and being in the room is a part of your stay, by all means, steer clear of a studio. I have stayed ay Old Key West many times on business by myself and always use a one bedroom. I didn't like a studio even by myself. It didn't feel like home...it felt like a hotel room. As a family we all watch movies together and like the couch and a big TV and fixing dinner. My wife and i love chilling out in the jacuzzi. Plus we like our privacy. My wife and I took out 18 year old to visit a college this weekend and spent one night away...in two hotel rooms. We would have driven back home late into the night rather than use one room. It's just our preference and other people would think we're being silly.
We know a couple who spend three weeks at Old Key West every January in a studio. They bring a electric skillet and cook almost every meal in their room. I would go nuts after about a day, but they're happy as clams. What's right for us is right for us.....what's right for you is right for you. Good luck

We have traveled to WDW almost every year since 1976 and used to stay in "budget hotels" until we got a taste of staying on-site. After all these years of doing just a hotel room, and having been brought up to be "frugal", we were thrilled when we finally had the chance to stay in a studio at OKW. We finally bought our 100 pt OKW contract last year and "being frugal" and wanting the biggest bang for the buck - we will most likely stay in a studio for a long time- This way we will have enough points to bring our DD, DSIL & DGrD with us and each have our own rooms. If we win the lottery maybe we'll buy more points so we can all have our own 2 BR ( or Grand Villa????) LOL :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter