Does any part of the Disney experience really irk you?

mikeyg1479

Mouseketeer
First off, let lead off by saying, lets approach this from the perspective that we are all overwhelmingly big Disney fans, lets not let this get into something ugly, being critical of others opinions, or turn into an "I hate Disney" thing. That said, we can acknowledge that not everything is always perfect and this is a good place to share those kinds ofstories.

For me, my biggest problem right now in WDW are the character photo ops, and the cast members overseeing them.

For the most part WDW is a very happy place, but spending time in or around those lines, the feeling...changes. Cast members seem stressed, overly bossy, the characters themselves just have this almost inaccessible VIP status to them now. Quick, get your picture, and move along!

Last trip I was in the MK with my son, on the bridge leading to Gaston's Tavern- there was Gaston and his photographer and his "helper" standing at the end of the bridge with a line taking pictures. I get in line and immediately the helper runs over and hollers that the line is closed. That is fine, these things happen. However, Let me be clear- the tone was not friendly at all.

Still, I calmy take my son understanding the situatiojnand walk past the line and stop to look at Gaston, standing probably a good 15 feet off to the side from him and the people getting pictures, as I just wanted to observe his antics for a minute, as he was being quite comical with the guests- I was far from the queue or Gaston, and I was not blocking any foot traffic. Not 5 seconds after stopping, the helper is right back on me- "You need to move along, if your not in line".

I'll admit, I kind of just looked at her dumbfounded in disbelief that this was happening, and then chose to ignore and observe Gaston for a minute while she continued to bark at me to move on. Maybe this is disrespectful of me, but I just couldn't believe what was happening.

Seriously, i am not allowed to even stop and look at a character performer in Disney World from a reasonable distance? I'm sorry, these park admissions are expensive and I think I earned the right to look at a character from a respectible distance away, even if I"m not in line. Nobody would have mistook me for a line jumper, or crowding them out in any capacity. Needless to say, I noted her namebadge and she did get namedropped to customer relations- she is a person doing her job, but personality and tone of voice is everything, and it was definitely all wrong here.

Anyhow, this post got overlong, but I can definitely say, while this was my worst experience, overall, there just is a certain tension to these character lines, I don't get anywhere else the entire vacation, and I avoid them as much as I can, other than to accomodate when my children really want to meet someone badly. I miss the days when character encounters were more natural. I know some people say its too crowded and can't be done, but a trip not long before my son ran into Goofy at a crowded store and got a minute of fun interaction with him- they even played with my sons toy car together, which he just bought. These less "manufactured" character meets can be done!

Lets hear some of your stories about what irks you, and what might be done better.

We must have experienced the same woman as you did while trying to see gaston last September lol she did the same thing to us twice in one day. I can honestly say she was the only rude CM we came across though so I just let it go...aaannd I just realized I can't say that phrase without singing it anymore!

Wow ! Sorry that you were treated that way. Nobody pays that much money to be mistreated. DH and I have no children , so , the line is not for us , but I have ( many ) times stood off to the side and snapped a quick picture of the "star" at hand. Always after the children have walked away. I don't want to be perceived as creepy, if you know what I mean. Thankfully , I have never met up with anyone like her ! pixiedust:

I wouldn't paint all handlers the same. I've had wonderful experiences with the ones I've met, and right now I'm thinking in particular of the one who was helping out Alice, a couple trips back. She was really fun to chat with! Plus, the one with Duffy was awfully encouraging, and supportive of me (a grown woman!) getting a picture with a stuffed bear.

I think you just got a grumpy cast member, and as such, might want to consider writing a letter to Disney about your experience, so that they can have a word with her about her tone of voice and attitude. Be sure to include the date and time, so they know which one she is.

To answer your title question... No, I can't say that any part of the overall Disney experience really irks me. I mean, maybe there's something, but whatever it is, I just don't involve myself in it.

Now, other guests... they can be a real pain sometimes!

So you are telling us that a cast member asked you to clear an area, yet you remained in the area. Then the cast member had to ask you again to keep the area clear, and you are mad at the cast member. Huh?

So you are telling us that a cast member asked you to clear an area, yet you remained in the area. Then the cast member had to ask you again to keep the area clear, and you are mad at the cast member. Huh?

I don't think it's THAT they were asked, it's the WAY they were asked. You can ask someone POLITELY to clear the area without barking orders at them. I, thankfully, have never come across a CM such as this and I hope I never do.

The OP made it clear she left the line when she said it was closed.
She was then told she had to leave ANOTHER area near the character (but not near the line).

I don't recall no loitering signs around Disney so I'd be annoyed, especially since it sounds like the CM was rude about it.

While this is somewhat off-topic and not helpful, I have to say that this is probably my favorite part of a Disney cruise- the character interaction opportunities are so much more available and relaxed. Sometimes it feels like they are everywhere on the boats, and even when there are lines (princesses in the atrium!), you don't feel as rushed, etc. Almost to the point, but not quite, of getting bored with the opportunities. As my 14 yo and 11 yo favorite aspects of Disney vacations are the character interactions, this is a main reason we have started trying to cruise yearly!

Ugh, that stinks. From what you wrote, sounds like there was no reason you couldn't at least stand there.

I think many problems at WDW come down to the core cause that it is too crowded. Maybe the character assistants have learned to be like that because if they don't, people will just overrun it, know what I mean? Not that you deserved to be treated like that, but more that they are always on the defense.

Sorry that happened to you, I can see why that irked you.

There are plenty of places, within the parks, that need to be kept clear on a changing basis. The Cast Member most likely needed to have the place clear, where the OP was standing, for a reason. There are plenty of places where I cannot loiter in the parks, and those places change during the day.

It sounds like the Cast Member was tasked with two jobs. One to mind a costumed talent, and the other crowd control.

It irks me that my parents and 2 oldest sons are at Disney World right now and I'm sitting at my desk at work!!! Does that count??:rotfl2:

My biggest gripe is that WDW has, in many respects, become a victim of its own popularity. Characters used to roam the parks and you took random pictures with whomever you would meet. Now, character greeting areas have become so popular that there are "handlers" with Secret Service earpieces directing traffic, issuing commands and to a large degree, eroding some of the "magic". Certain rides have become so popular that Disney has to allocate FPs for them. And worst of all, I think that Disney over-extends its parks in terms of overall crowds. The crowd levels at which Disney starts to restrict guest entry is so high that when it is reached, the parks are really too crowded to enjoy. It's great that so many people want to get into the parks. But you have to draw the line somewhere and I think that they set that line too high. It's really hard to have a good time at the point when "phased closings" are implemented. They really need to take those numbers down by 10%-20% if people in the parks are to continue to enjoy their day. But if being too popular is the worst of Disney's faults, then I guess it is doing OK.

Dang, a year ago I would have had a great response available.

IT PAYS TO POST YOUR IRKS ON HERE-GREAT THREAD.

Far and away, not even close was addressed by FP+, just vaulted our way of touring (yes non park activities in the am/early afternoon) to an amazing new level.

Absolutely everything else was just not even a blip on the "irk" radar in comparison of that old system of "vacationing."

My post from 2004:

It would be nice if you could see the FP return times (constantly changing real time) at the other parks, or at the front gate. I could see the front gate as a bad idea for WDW because a potential customer may not enter. Then again it could at least be just INSIDE so you had to ENTER to check the times but at least you wouldnt have to walk all the way to Space Mt only to find it is out (or earlier that you want). As far as the other parks, that would be nice to know you have plenty of time (or not) to get over to EPCOT for TestTrack from MGM for example. Even better would be posted times on your hotel TV-nice incentive for on site guests. Nicer yet would be obtaining them at your hotel-could somebody stop me?

And from 2005:

Thats us also, would we like more available as DVC members-sure, at least some days. But the convenience and planning like you say are what we would like. Kids could sleep until noon, catch some sun at the pool and then head over for TOT FP at 4PM and RNR at 5PM. That would be plenty for us. Great idea, wonder if they are reading these boards

ref

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....817577&page=16

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=595792

As you can see from my post count, I don't post here very often but I read a TON, and for some reason this thread has inspired me to come off the sidelines and reply.

I can't speak for anybody else, but for me, when you do encounter a rude CM it seems to stick with you more. Now, I'm a perfectly "sane" adult. I'm a professional, a college grad and a mom. I encounter tons of rude people every year, however, as I sit here, I can't really recall any non WDW rude experiences. I know I've had them and given time I'm sure I could come up with a few, but I'm not sure WHY I expect the CM's to be held to a higher standard (perhaps because Walt Disney as a company sells it as so) but I do and therefore I think they stick with me more.

With that in mind, I've only ever had 1 experience with a rude CM that has really stuck with me. On our second trip as a family we were at the MK. It was in the middle of a tropical storm/depression (this was several years ago). It had rained for DAYS. We were NOT going to let the rain stop us from seeing the (then new) castle projection show and Wishes. We went and grabbed some ice cream and as the rain picked up again we found this GREAT spot up by the railing just to the side of the castle (before you get to the bridge to Tomorrowland). We hunker down in our ponchos, eat our ice cream and pretty soon there are a bunch of other people around us--we're basically blocked in because were up against the railings--but its ALL good and even though we're all soaked to the bone nobody cares because we're at the Magic Kingdom! :cool1:

We ooh and ahhh at the projection show. Our boys get ready for Wishes (there is a slight delay between the two shows). Just about that time...the rain stops, the sky clears up. YAY! At this point we are probably 6 families deep (20 plus people all around us)--and we hear somebody saying loudly "Excuse me. I said EXCUSE ME". People shift around as much as they can, but there really isn't much room to move. We realize that the person trying to move through everybody is a Photopass photographer. I'm guessing that during the rain she took shelter, but now that the rain had stopped, she wanted "her" spot back. Only problem was there were probably 20 people or more IN her spot. (In our defense, there were NO signs, no notes, no chains, NOTHING that indicated the spot was reserved for Photopass. Had there been, we wouldn't have plopped down there!).

Since we are in the front, she wants us to move behind her--which is all good and well, except there is NO place for us to go. The families around us are all as upset and we're all giving each other these looks of disbelief. Nobody is being too vocal about it, but you can tell people are upset. Lots of deep sighs and "are you SERIOUS?" under the breath kind of things.

Now Wishes is starting, and instead of watching it we're busy picking up stuff, shuffling around, etc. I asked if we could wait until after Wishes and she rudely told us "NO. I need to take pictures of people DURING Wishes". I'm sure that was a GREAT idea, and had she been there the entire time 20+ people wouldn't have been "in her spot", however, since we were and there wasn't any place for us to go--well, she ended up just standing there looking silly because the 20 + people that were behind us refused to move--therefore, there was no way anybody was going to get up to the front to get a picture.

NOW--I know that the PP people have jobs to do--and I appreciate them and the service they offer, however, this lady was just downright rude, and judging from the anger from those around us it wasn't just me being sensitive. Had she approached the situation differently (ie--explain her need to get back to her spot instead of demand it, being polite instead of barking at us) I'm sure we all would have reacted differently. Instead, her rudeness was met with 20+ strangers forming a bond to not let her rudeness ruin Wishes.

After spending thousands on this Disney vacation, I think I have the right to be in the park standing at a public area, obersving something one of the performers was doing.

This wasn't me occupying some space they needed to use and being politely asked to move so they could set up something (like they do for the parades and such).

This was a person who just kicked me out of line continuing to take their misguided spite out on me. (probably because she was ticked I had the "audacity" to get in line after she closed it, when she was probably trying to get out of there for her break or something)

Like I said, it was a tone thing. I am a paying guest in their park and deserve to be treated better than a animal that needs to be herded and "move along".

Not putting down all of the handlers here, but I do maintain overall, that this part of the experience, theres always this level of tension where I don't feel as welcome as I do in other aspects of the WDW vacation. Like I said before, a "hurry up, get your picture, now MOVE ALONG" kind of vibe.

I just think Disney can do better here. Thats all.

Totally agree. We waited almost an hour in line to see Rapunzel because my girls love her. She talked to my daughters for a minute, hugged them both quickly and sent them on to Snow White (no offense to Snow White but we saw her 4 different times between two character meals, Germany in Epcot and then). Even worse, we had Photopass+ and they seemed to be taking a lot of pictures so I didn't dig my camera out. They didn't take ONE picture where you could see Rapunzel and both my girls and only one picture, with one of my daughters where you can see her face and my daughter's. Oh and you can only see her hair in one picture. When we show people the pictures they seem confused about who the character is until we tell them. It just irked me. Partly irked at myself for not pulling my camera out and taking my own pictures...

I think the only real thing about Disney itself that has ever irked me was waiting at the bus stop for a Hotel and waiting, and waiting, and waiting... during rush hour, and having buses pull up empty, leave empty, with the drivers getting in and our with no explanation to the gargantuan line that had formed.

In general though, it is other guests that irk me more than anything; esp. parents that don't realize their own kids exist. :p

There are plenty of places, within the parks, that need to be kept clear on a changing basis. The Cast Member most likely needed to have the place clear, where the OP was standing, for a reason. There are plenty of places where I cannot loiter in the parks, and those places change during the day. It sounds like the Cast Member was tasked with two jobs. One to mind a costumed talent, and the other crowd control.

dude, give it a rest

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter