Does Airfare to Miami/Ft.L ever go down??

Blessed_wth_Triplets

DIS Veteran
We booked our first cruise on the Wonder for April and yes, I know it's spring break, but airfare from Detroit to Miami or Fort Lauderdale is Outrageous! Over $500 round trip per ticket and we need six. As of right now I just can't justify spending that. The times aren't even great either. Do airlines open up more flights, or is that what we have to work with. Southwest is crazy with their prices lately. I haven't told the kids yet because we won't go if those prices stay the same.

We had the same issue with our 12/27 cruise. For us, FLL was a lot cheaper. In the end though, we are flying into PBI (75ish miles) because the price difference and times were dramatically better. I rented a car for less than $70 and there's a return location right by the port. We fly out of FLL after the cruise.

I highly recommend skiplagged (app and/or website) to "stalk" the fares. It is really helpful though it doesn't include Southwest and a few other airlines like that.

For that combo, it's about $340 per person as opposed to $550-$750+.

I got one way tix RDU/FLL for $90 on Southwest. FLL is definitely cheaper. My husband flies to MIA every week and prices are usually around $150-$250, but went up to $500-$600 in parts of March and April, so I do think you are paying for Spring Break.

Spirit flies from Detroit to FLL. Watch for there sales. Its a very low cost carrier but we fly from Dallas to FLL sometimes for as low as $90 ROUND TRIP!

Three years ago on a cruise out of Port Everglades, we flew into Fort Myers the day before and stayed there. Drove over the morning of the cruise and then flew out of FLL after the cruise. If I had it to do over again, I'd rent a car and fly back out of Fort Myers, too.

This summer, cruising out of Miami, we flew into MIA but after the cruise we rented a car and drove up to Palm Beach to fly home. Gave the kids a chance to see a little of Miami Beach before we left.

Moral of the story...regardless of prices (and they are cheaper into and out of the other airports), I prefer to GET THE HECK AWAY FROM FLL AND MIA the day cruise ships are loading or unloading! Do yourself a favor and look at Palm Beach and Fort Myers.

We are flying into Miami this Thanksgiving. Airfare on United was $1,260 (from NYC area)!! I kept checking Kayak. On a Saturday night around 11 pm, it dropped to $300!!! I booked immediately. The next morning (sunday) it was up to $476. My parents booked at that. Then it jumped back over $1,260, and is still there.

My point (sorry so long), is it can fluctuate. I would set a Kayak alert, and KEEP checking DAILY!!! Good luck! I almost moved my cruise!

I booked my airfare in June for October cruise (6 days away). Cincinnati to Miami roundtrip $126 a person on American. Frontier is driving down prices in Cincinnati. Hopefully the prices in Detroit will drop too.

What dates are you looking at? New England typically has the third full week of April off from school for spring break. Flights are going to be more expensive. I booked roundtrip tickets for my MIL & SIL to fly PWM-->FLL on 4/16 & FLL-->PWM on 4/24 for less than $300 a piece on opening day in July on JetBlue and the price has tripled!!!

PWM = Portland, ME

We watched flights from Texas to MIA...we have about 4 airports we can fly out of with the furthest being DFW at 3 hours away. It happens to be during spring break in Texas. We decided to fly back the Monday after our cruise instead of trying to fly out on Sunday, the day we disembark. We lucked out and got our tickets for $162 round trip. When we first started looking it was anywhere from $400-$600 round trip.

If you can adjust your days any, it might be worth. Sundays and Fridays are the worst days to fly costwise.

Southwest often has sales pop up. The elusive $49 sale comes up about once or twice a year. We found Southwest to be the cheapest flight, especially after you factor in free checked baggage, no change fees, etc. :hyper2:

Southwest is over $600 per ticket. I've looked at nearby airports....still around $700 per ticket. Craziness. Our dates are April 2-8.

Wow those dates don't seem like they should be that high. Passover is late April in 2016. We fly from NYC to FLL several times a year and usually spend 200-300 round trip depending on when we book. If you can fly Friday instead of Saturday you can get $400 roundtrip airfare. It is an extra day off work and school as well as a hotel stay though so not sure how much you would actually save.

Can you move your trip by one week? Jus looking and by switching by one week you can get flights for significantly cheaper.

DTW is an expensive airport to fly in to normally, add in special circumstances like a holiday and its even crazier. Miami tends to be more expensive as well. I would watch the other airports for sales :) Good luck!

We just flew los Angeles to MIA for $281 per ticket including all taxes. It was around $400 when I started looking. Prices change almost daily.
FLL was actually always more expensive when I looked

We booked our first cruise on the Wonder for April and yes, I know it's spring break, but airfare from Detroit to Miami or Fort Lauderdale is Outrageous! Over $500 round trip per ticket and we need six. As of right now I just can't justify spending that. The times aren't even great either. Do airlines open up more flights, or is that what we have to work with. Southwest is crazy with their prices lately. I haven't told the kids yet because we won't go if those prices stay the same.
We were able to get tickets for cheap through Southwest goin to ft. Lauderdale. They just posted their sale which makes tickets less then $100... Check them out. WE are leaving out of Philly and the ticket is $81pp

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter