• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does a 3 night cruise "count"?

grumpyskirtgirl

Mouseketeer
On our last cruise I was walking by the booking desk and I heard the castmember say that she doesn't recommend the 3 night cruises as they do not count towards upping your status to the next tier, be it Gold or Platinum etc.

Did I hear her correctly?

Thanks

Yep! I still think DCL should not just use cruises but also no of days as I have taken 7 cruises and am only gold but 5 of those were 14 days and 2x4 day cruises. The length of cruise makes no difference so someone who's done 7x3 night cruises would be at the same level as me! I wish they would do no of cruises or no of nights so it was a bit fairer but that's just me :D

Yep! I still think DCL should not just use cruises but also no of days as I have taken 7 cruises and am only gold but 5 of those were 14 days and 2x4 day cruises. The length of cruise makes no difference so someone who's done 7x3 night cruises would be at the same level as me! I wish they would do no of cruises or no of nights so it was a bit fairer but that's just me :D
At some point it wouldn't surprise me if they were to switch this to days. I better get to platinum ASAP as they would most likely grandfather everyone in at their current levels if they change the policy!!

I remember Captain John saying something at the return cruiser party for Gold and Platinum that they will have make another level soon as there are so many Gold/Platinum cruisers each cruise. Not sure if he was just being funny (the room was very crowded with repeat cruisers, so much so that they had an overflow room set up as well). I do think they need another level above Platinum....Diamond or Titanium or something.

MJ

I don't know that they would change it, I mean the perks aren't really costing them much money at all.
Gold- you get an extra gift in your room and 10% off in gift shops.
Platinum- you get an extra gift and your choice of a bottle of wine or cheese and fruit platter, and a free Palo meal. 10% off in gift shops

Gold/Platinum- Castaway club reception which is just 'meh' anyway. Free snacks that you can get onboard anyway and a drink or 2.

There are other perks of course, but they don't really cost DCL any $$$

I just always thought that platinum should be at 70 days or at 10 cruises as that makes it more fair (which ever you get to first). I would have been platinum ages ago lol.

I hope they don't introduce extra levels though as that will just mean more disappointment for people like when they brought in the levels

MJ,
You are spot on! There should be a "Diamond" level. My vote would be for over 20.

I think there should be another level too but one that very few people would reach. That way they can give a meaningful perk and not have to discontinue it soon after because too many people have reached that level. (Like the Platinum on board experiences.) I think 20 cruises is still too few for a top level.

I just always thought that platinum should be at 70 days or at 10 cruises as that makes it more fair (which ever you get to first). I would have been platinum ages ago lol.

I hope they don't introduce extra levels though as that will just mean more disappointment for people like when they brought in the levels

Why would adding another level mean disappointment to people? Unless they were taking something away from you. People are pixie-dusted all the time, I'm happy for them not disappointed I didn't get the same pixie dust. I consider this "known pixie-dust". As for disappointment, all of us who were platinum when they created the levels have had lots of things taken away from us as the levels became "too crowded". It is what it is. I can't force them to give me a gift!

I agree that it should be days of cruising. I've logged 60 nights on DCL cruises, but I'm 2 cruises away from Platinum. Seems pretty unbalanced when someone could do ten 3 or 4 night cruises and be platinum at 30 or 40 days. I'm going on the 10 night Hawaii cruise in September, but that will still leave me one cruise away. :sad:

Why would adding another level mean disappointment to people?

I was thinking more along the lines that they might start saying only Platinum & "Diamond" get the reception party for example.

I agree that it should be days of cruising. I've logged 60 nights on DCL cruises, but I'm 2 cruises away from Platinum. Seems pretty unbalanced when someone could do ten 3 or 4 night cruises and be platinum at 30 or 40 days. I'm going on the 10 night Hawaii cruise in September, but that will still leave me one cruise away. :sad:

I'm 2 away and have done 88 days after my TA in September!

I was thinking more along the lines that they might start saying only Platinum & "Diamond" get the reception party for example.

I'm 2 away and have done 88 days after my TA in September!
I think the levels are very subjective and personal but I think a "more fair" approach would be as another poster suggested above to do as either or. 10 cruises or 60 nights (just throwing out a number) and that way the folks who do the longer cruises could be qualified and not overlooked.

I think eventually DCL will have to break apart the cc levels on certain sailings as there are two many Gold and Platinums. I can't remember the number on our recent Norway/Iceland/Scotland sailing but it was high and I believe friends said they even had an overflow location. We were at Palo Brunch

Carnival recently (2-3 months?) did away with the Golds at their return cruiser parties and I believe it's Platinum and above. I've always supported a higher level with DCL as there are some who have clearky earned it so bring on Diamond and Titanium, lol!

Heather

We are gold and have never been to the Gold/Platinum reception as I keep hearing how underwhelming it is.

We are gold and have never been to the Gold/Platinum reception as I keep hearing how underwhelming it is.

Unless there is juicy gossip available, they are kinda underwhelming. Photo op with Capt. Mickey, some drinks and snacks and the captain or CD talking about nothing in particular. If you go for the rice krispie treats, watch the room. One side will sometimes hog them, grabbing 4,5 or 6 per person. They then run out and go get more but rather than starting where they left off, they go back to the beginning. Rinse, lather, repeat.

With all due respect to those cruisers who have many days logged on DCL (because seriously I want to be one of them!), I have to disagree with changing the criteria from number of cruises to days aboard. Not everyone can do longer cruises, some because of cost and others because of time constraints. Castaway Club is a loyalty program. We all know that just about every other cruise line out there costs far less than a Disney cruise, so returning to DCL is a big deal for most people. That loyalty of returning is what should be rewarded so I think Disney has it right and shouldn't change it. Perhaps bonus gifts should be given for days on the ships, or more levels added to the program, but don't change the criteria from loyalty of returning to time/ money spent. Everyone has the ability to decide *if* they will return to DCL but not everyone has the ability to sail for many days. Loyalty should always be about how many times you choose to return.
just my humble opinion! :)

I surely do get what you're saying beach baby, but loyalty programs like say, the airlines, go by mileage NOT number of trips. If all my trips had been to Hawaii or Asia, I would be Executive Platinum but since I am usually flying no further than Seattle, I'm a lowly Gold (with MUCH effort!).

I surely do get what you're saying beach baby, but loyalty programs like say, the airlines, go by mileage NOT number of trips. If all my trips had been to Hawaii or Asia, I would be Executive Platinum but since I am usually flying no further than Seattle, I'm a lowly Gold (with MUCH effort!).
I thought most airlines went with number of miles or number of segments?? That way they can also reward travelers who make frequent shorter trips

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter