Does $60 sound like too much for a half sheet cake?

OP here. The cake from this bakery feeds 30 - 50 people. It is 3 layers and two fillings. If we want a photo on it, it costs extra. I've had cake from this bakery recently and it was great - Dh called another bakery and it costs $38 with the picture on it. I was so mad at him that I didn't even as him if it was one layer or more layers. He'd frost a box and put it out there if he could get away with it! I don't have parties that often and I am so proud of Ds and it's the only thing he's asked for concerning the party - a cake. I want him to like the cake, not think "yuck" when he bites into it!

OP here. The cake from this bakery feeds 30 - 50 people. It is 3 layers and two fillings. If we want a photo on it, it costs extra. I've had cake from this bakery recently and it was great - Dh called another bakery and it costs $38 with the picture on it. I was so mad at him that I didn't even as him if it was one layer or more layers. He'd frost a box and put it out there if he could get away with it! I don't have parties that often and I am so proud of Ds and it's the only thing he's asked for concerning the party - a cake. I want him to like the cake, not think "yuck" when he bites into it!

You are paying less than $2/serving for "real" cake with 3 layers and 2 fillings. Costco and the grocery store won't do that you you. I say you are getting a fair deal!

Enjoy your cake!

I just looked up what a half sheet cake costs at my favorite bakery--and it's $70, so $60 sounds like a bargain!

Costco and grocery store cakes can't really be compared to an excellent quality bakery cake, imo. It's not even about the decorations--mass produced cakes have things in their frosting that are just kind of wrong on a cake, like Crisco, margarine, or powdered sugar.

So yeah, I'm a cake snob. :snooty: I'm okay with Coscto cakes (I even like them). But I totally understand why they're cheaper than a high quality cake, and I think that for some occasions, the more expensive cake would be worth it. :cloud9:

If he asked for the cake, then I would skip Costco. While they are ok, not what I would want if I wanted a great cake. For a kids party, fine.

For some occasions, I think a Costco cake is a great choice. They taste good, look OK and feed a crowd. We use them for a lot of receptions after the service at church....Mothers Day, Worker recognition days, etc. Nice for school functions or sports teams. But in my family we are really into our cakes for special things like Baptisms, special birthdays, graduations, etc. For those we go for a nice bakery cake or from an individual who has a home based business whose work we admire. I put grocery stores a step under Costco.

Around here a 1/2 sheet grocery cake is around $22-25 for a basic cake and more for things like pictures. I have not priced a 1/2 sheet.

What the original poster is describing sounds wonderful :banana: and I would pay $60 without blinking. Guess it depends on how a big a priority the cake is. And since that is the big request of the grad, no question I would go for it.

It actually sounds about right to me. Quarter sheet at my local grocery runs 30ish for specified colors and so forth, and I paid $130 for half sheet from a true bakery for my husband's 40th (granted, I asked for some special artwork - and they delivered. so it was well worth the cost).

My wife gets 1/2 sheet cake at Sam's Club for about $20. We've had Cars, Mickey and Elmo and they've written the names on the cake! And it's very yummy!

We prefer to use a local organic bakery that lists where each ingredient comes from, and lets you customize your special cake any way you'd like it (like a wedding cake, but for any occasion). There is an initial consultation that you bring pictures, ideas, and have a taste session, then we go from there. These cakes cost anywhere from $75+ and the + can get quite pricy depending on how big you want to go.
What bakery do you go to?

I think based on what you described, you are getting a good deal.

I own a bakery, and I charge $100 for a 1/2 sheet cake (2 layers of cake, a layer of filling, serves 50-65) That only includes very basic decoration (writing and BC flowers) - any other deco is additional. I bake from scratch, use organic ingredients, use only butter in my icing, have my own flock of chickens for eggs, etc etc.

As another cake decorator friend of mine says "good cake isn't cheap, and cheap cake isn't good"

That's a typical price around here - unless you go to bjs or SAMs club. I get mine at bjs now because their less expensive and the cake is delicious!

We were just in Cocoa Beach last week, so ordered a Little Mermaid 1/4 sheet from Publix for dd's birthday. It was $30.00, which I initially thought was a little high. But it was double layer and elaborately decorated, with yummy frosting. Back home our local grocery store would have charged $21-22, but no double layer, and frosting not as good. So, OP, that seems a little high, but hopefully you'll get what you pay for.

I used to get the publix cakes until I found out what they put in their buttercream icing. Now I only go to local bakers where the cakes may cost a little bit more but are much better than the store bought.

I paid 25 for a 1/4 sheet at publix. If the cake is his main request then I wouldn't think twice about it. Graduation is a big deal

I pay that for a round cake with filling and beautifully decorated. And that only feeds about 30. It's a local bakery that uses real butter in their butter cream filling. They've won tons of awards. All birthday and special occasion cakes I buy from this place. DD's birthday in February I ordered a round cake, oreo filling, decorated in a candy land theme with tons of real candy on it. It was 12" and served 30-40. I paid $60 because of the elaborate decorations. It was worth it.

I don't mind paying for quality. I don't mind paying for special occasions. You only graduate high school once.

Sounds like the bakery you originally called is a great deal for what you are getting.

My DD got a half sheet with her picture on it for $18 at Sam's Club. Are the delivering the cake for $60? I would not spend that on a basic half sheet.

Just got a fantastic cake from Costco this past weekend for my son's communion - $18.99.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter