Doctor Care if someone gets sick

wahoowa

Earning My Ears
I was posting this under a thread below and thought to myself that this might be useful information to create a separate post.

My DD spiked a 102 fever on our second day and complained of her ear hurting. We asked the concierege for our options and this is what we learned.

You have four options for someone if they get sick. One is the first aid stations at the 4 parks. Second is a service the concierge can give you that allows for doctors to come to the rooms. Very pricey, I think they quoted me $350 to come. Third is their is a local Urgent Care center Disney has a relationship with. THis one will send a shuttle for you and return you back to your hotel. The funny thing is when I was talking to the guy about getting the doctor to come to the room, he really frowned on this clinic, especially for pediatrics. He also said you can plan on spending 3-4 hours there. He recommened a place called After Hours Pediatrics, it's only open after 5pm. It's about a $28 cab ride but they pay for the return ride. That's what we did and we were also recommened a pharmacy that delivered. I think it was called Logan. They bill directly to your room and charge $5 for delivery - very reasonable and no hassle which was great. It was just for an ear ache but definitely a lesson to pass on. We waited just over an hour for the doctor.

Thanks for posting that. I added that to my list of notes that I'm taking with us.

About 6 years ago, my DD 3 came down with swimmer's ear (no fever, but very painful if touched) during one of our trips. We went to the First Aid Station at Magic Kingdom and they indicated that they could not do anything for her there.

They did however; contact a local urgent care clinic who sent a courtesy van to pick us up at the park. There was a pharmacy next to the clinic, so we requested our shuttle back and got the prescription while we waited for our ride. All in all the entire experience only took about 3 hours from the time we entered the First Aid Station until we were back at the park. There was no charge for the service.

This was our first trip, and we were very impressed with the service - especially considering my DH spent 3 1/2 hours last night at our local urgent care clinic just waiting for a doctor to examine our DS 2 who spiked a 102 fever last night (just 4 days before our trip of course!)

Thanks for the great tip. My son became very ill on a trip to Disneyland, severe vomiting and diarrhea, high fever. I called the concierge (we were staying at the GCH) and they told me the only option was for me to take him to the ER. I couldn't see moving him in that condition, I would have jumped at having a doctor visit him in the room.

In December my DD2 had a 103.9 fever. We were staying at SSR. I called the front desk and they sent a Dr to our room. I called at about 7am and the Dr's office gave me a choice of appt times, earliest being 8 am. I chose 9:30 b/c I was trying to get in touch with my health ins co to find out if there was some place local I could go and only pay my copay. The Dr was right on time and was about $160 or $170 to come to our room. She offered to write me a RX or she could sell the RX to me. She made the antibiotic right there.
When I got in touch with my insurance co, they told me they would only cover her dr visit if we took her to the ER and we have a $125 copay.
We thought it was well worth the money to have the DR come to our room. We did not have to wait in a waiting room or go out to get the RX filled.

The Dr also called us the next day to see how our daughter was doing.

In December my DD2 had a 103.9 fever. We were staying at SSR. I called the front desk and they sent a Dr to our room. I called at about 7am and the Dr's office gave me a choice of appt times, earliest being 8 am. I chose 9:30 b/c I was trying to get in touch with my health ins co to find out if there was some place local I could go and only pay my copay. The Dr was right on time and was about $160 or $170 to come to our room. She offered to write me a RX or she could sell the RX to me. She made the antibiotic right there.
When I got in touch with my insurance co, they told me they would only cover her dr visit if we took her to the ER and we have a $125 copay.
We thought it was well worth the money to have the DR come to our room. We did not have to wait in a waiting room or go out to get the RX filled.

The Dr also called us the next day to see how our daughter was doing.

A few years ago my niece spkied a fever with vomiting and we had a doctor come right to the room. With a shot to stop the vmoiting and the antibiotic and visit it was about $180. The doctor was terrific, very gentle with her and very empathetic. DS submitted the bill to her insurance and they covered about $80 of it. Frankly to not have to take a sick baby out of teh room it was worth the extra $100 OOP.

Anne

on our jan. disneymoon my DFH got super sick with some virus (he had surgery so he cant throw up, so it complicates things) the concierge at teh GF called 911 for me and paramedics came stright to the room in 5 minutes or less. also 2 managers came up as well. it was very quick and they were all so friendly.

Just my 2 cents here, 2 years ago my youngest just turned 5 and was complaining of a sore throat, he wouldn't eat and was miserable. I asked at the front desk where to go and was given a map to the Urgent Care Center located around Lake Buena Vista, we arrived only to be greeted by a packed waiting room and was advised it would be a 3 hour plus wait!!!:eek: No way, was I first going to make all my kids sit there and wait, I asked where the local hospital was and we drove to Celebration Hospital, which was close. The hospital staff was wonderful there was a minimal wait maybe 10 minutes that was just to process all of the paperwork, no issues with my insurance, the hosital appeared newer, was clean and we were in and out in around 45 minutes. My son ended up having strep throat, :sad2: We then went to Walgreens to fill the prescription, well that is a whole other story in itself, I would never go back to that Walgreens.

Just my 2 cents here, 2 years ago my youngest just turned 5 and was complaining of a sore throat, he wouldn't eat and was miserable. I asked at the front desk where to go and was given a map to the Urgent Care Center located around Lake Buena Vista, we arrived only to be greeted by a packed waiting room and was advised it would be a 3 hour plus wait!!!:eek: No way, was I first going to make all my kids sit there and wait, I asked where the local hospital was and we drove to Celebration Hospital, which was close. The hospital staff was wonderful there was a minimal wait maybe 10 minutes that was just to process all of the paperwork, no issues with my insurance, the hosital appeared newer, was clean and we were in and out in around 45 minutes. My son ended up having strep throat, :sad2: We then went to Walgreens to fill the prescription, well that is a whole other story in itself, I would never go back to that Walgreens.

We ended up at Celebration Hospital in 2005 when our youngest came down with a severe case of croup. I had read (here on the Dis) prior to our trip that Celebration Hospital was a good choice. Indeed it was. We had NO wait in the ER, we were the only ones there on a Monday morning. She had to stay for a while so they could be sure her respiration was OK, but otherwise we were out of there in no time. The pharmacy right in the hospital filled her steroid prescription. That would be my first choice again.

Great information about the DR coming to your room and the transportation being provided to a Medical Center. A few years ago when my DS was about 4 months old, he got a ear infection and had a high fever while staying at CBR, I called the front desk and asked what could I do and could they provide some help/suggestions. Well, they sent me an ambulance that arrived at my room in about 5 minutes and a manager came by the room to see if all was okay. They took us to the ER in Celebration Town, but no transportation would be provided back so we took a cab. The ER was very clean and they quickly took care of my infant. They gave him some medicine and gave us some until we could get to a pharmacy. The next day we had to take a cab to Walgreens to pick up our Rx. The manager came to the room onace again to see that all was okay and if we needed anything. The following day we got a phone call from the manager yet again to ask if all was well and if we needed anything. I was pretty impressed and grateful that they were so concerned and attentive to our situation :thumbsup2 When I arrived home I sent a letter/e-mail to comment on how great the service was for us during our stay.

We just came back from WDW two weeks ago. While there, my mother fell at SOG and broke her wrist. We took her to the emergency room at Celebration Hospital and she was taken care of very quickly. Unfortunately, we did have to cut our trip short by three days as she was very uncomfortable with her arm in a sling.

Debbie

First Aid Center in the parks. 911 if at a resort.

Our son, who has special needs, had thrown up a couple of different times and we suspected that he may have aspirated some water from the pool. Anyway, we were at MGM one day, and he just really wasn't doing well. Very lethargic. So we were concerned and took him to the First Aid station there. They were extremely nice and she called 911, and within 5 minutes the paramedics were there, and they were super friendly as well. The checked him out listened to his lungs, and said that he sounded ok, and that he may just have a bug, as it turned out to be the case. It was also really hot (this was last September) so the nurse there filled out a slip of paper so that we could get an umbrella for his wheelchair from any of the gift shops there for not cost!

The paramedics also said that if we needed Matthew to be seen again or if we needed anything, just dial 911 and they would be happy to come to our room.

The cost for all of this: absolutely nothing!

I knew WDW was good at handling things like this, but I had no idea! This is part of why we vacation there so often with us having a special needs child. There is no better place to take someone with special needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter