Do your children have very different personalities?

Minnie824

DIS Veteran
And if so, if they're older, has it made them closer, or not get along? From the day DD2 was born, both DDs have been so different. They're only 4 and 1.5, but it amazes me how much they look alike, and how different they are....sleeping habits, eating habits, moods, likes/dislikes of things, everything. I'm wondering if that will make them closer or not when they're older. I never had a sister, so obviously I'm hoping they'll be close, and just thought I'd see what others had to say from experience.

I don't have any experience in how it all may turn out - my two boys are still only 6 and 4. But boy, are they completely different in every possible, conceivable way! So far, they are very close and I hope that continues on into adulthood. My gut feeling is that it will. :goodvibes

My only sibling is a sister 2 years younger than I am. We are EXTREMELY different. Growing up, we fought a lot. As in all the time. We did get along for short periods of time (like when we were making fun of our parents, LOL), and sometimes we did even voluntarily do things together, but for the most part, we didn't get along.

Now that we're adults, we get along much better. It's been improving ever since college, and having kids has really helped, since we do a lot of things similarly. There are some childrearing issues that we don't agree about, but we're both really big breastfeeding advocates, so when we start to argue, we just work the topic back to breastfeeding so that we can stop arguing. :rotfl2:

Sorry, this probably isn't what you wanted to hear. But we are really good friends now, and I think that if my parents had been more concerned from the beginning, things could have been better. Because of my own childhood, I'm very careful to limit my children's exposure to books and TV that depict siblings fighting or that emphasizes the idea that older children don't like playing with younger children. Our culture really reinforces those ideas, and I know that when I was growing up, I thought that I was supposed to dislike my sister. I want to keep that idea from being implanted in my kids' heads.

All three have different personalities. My oldest is very dramatic and helpless along with kind of klutzy, My DS4 is very athletic, quiet, cuddly and listens well, my DS1 is calm, talkative, pushy, and a daredevil.

I have 2 girls 16 months apart and both are as different as night and day and they HATE each other!

Some days I wish there was a way that they could live in different houses cause they fight THAT bad and it drives me CRAZY!!!!

my brother and i are very different..i will be 21 next month, he just turned 19 in June...I am more of the shy, quiet, good student ,family oriented type of person..(i still like to have fun, just know that i need to do good in college and stuff like that)..my brother is more of the very outgoing, will talk to anyone, tons of friends, parties, etc...
we do get along pretty well...we fight just like any siblings, but all in good nature (most of the time!) -hes there for me all the time and has stuck up for me before...hes a good little bro :)

I have 2 boys and 3 girls. My DS27 and DD21 have the same personality, they are calm, laid back just sort of go with the flow. My DD25 and DS23 are the wild ones, drama queen, can't sit still etc. The youngest DD12 is more of a mixture of all but more on the calmer side.

They all get along really great now. My oldest DD was the one who fought with them all, her and DD21 only got along because they had to. Since DD25 got married and had her girls she has calmed down alot and my girls all get along very well.

So I would say yes as they grow up and turn into adults they get along fine. :)

gr8tpanther said:
I have 2 girls 16 months apart and both are as different as night and day and they HATE each other!

Some days I wish there was a way that they could live in different houses cause they fight THAT bad and it drives me CRAZY!!!!

SAME HERE. Mine are 16 months apart too. They are such good kids in every way except they fight so much it drives me crazy! They fight over every little thing. It's gotten so bad I'm thinking about buying a book on Amazon I found about sibling rivalry.

As far as personality, they are different in just about every way. DD12 is so mature, and always has been. Even when she was a toddler, she acted so much older than the other kids her age. DD10 is the baby, and she acts like it. She is very sensitive, she is also very loving, whereas her sister keeps her feelings to herself. Other differences, DD 12 keeps her room spotless, DD10 is a slob. DD12 is popular in school, DD10 is shy and only has 2 close friends.
It's amazing how different they are.

My girls are 15 months apart 9 and almost 8 and they are polar opposites.

DD9
anal about study's, stresses about tests etc.
natural athletic ability
laid back for the most part
pretty easy going
listens to directions- and follows
doesnt talk back much
neat freak in her room
very organized
always knows where her stuff is when she wants something

DDalmost8
couldn't care less about a test, or what she gets on it
plays sports only because her sister does
high strung
not very easy going- plans cant change or she gets sorta upset...
does not listen to direction or follow them
talks back all the time
slob in her room (if i let her be)
never organized
cant remember where she put her own body to save her life

They get along when they want to, which is most of the time. DD9 can entertain herself and will sit in her beanbag and read, or play with her dolls alone....DD8 cant really do that. She will and does read a lot, but isnt as imaginative as her sister when it comes to playing by herself.

One thing I do find is DD8 tries to do a lot of what her sister does/likes. DD9 is addicted to food network, and i know that DD8 deep down wants to watch cartoons, but she'll sit in the living room with DD9 and watch rachel or emeril, even though she could be in the play room watching cartoons...

I have 2 cousins who were 15 months apart, and there personalities exactly match my 2 girls. They are now the best of friends, even though 1 is in college here in VT and the other is in New Mexico in college. I hope, mine end up this way!

Brandy

My oldest two are so different that they could be from different planets. The youngest is a blend of the two. They also look different -- all have blue eyes but I have a blond, a brunette and a redhead!

The oldest two are not close but they no longer fight like cats and dogs since the oldest is away at school most of the year and the middle child has matured some. Little brother gets along with both older brothers and is very close to his oldest (by 10 years) sibling.

Mine are 2 years apart and are just the same. We call them "Pete and Repeat" because he does EVERYTHING that she does. They fight 1/2 the time, and the other 1/2 are the best of friends. I hope that they are close, because my brother and I aren't, and I wish we were.

My 3 are as different as night and day in most respects. I read the Birth Order Book and it is amazing how right on it was with my kids....I would say oldest dd and youngest dd are both high academic achievers and care what people think.....middle child ds could care less, at least that is how it appears.

I only have one child so I cannot speak from a parent's perspective but I will tell you that I have four sisters. Two of them I have more in common with and I am close to both of them. Two sisters I have little in common with, one of them I am very close to (moreso than any of my sisters) and the other one I am not terribly close to although I love her very much and we always get along. It's just that when we sit and talk we just don't 'click' very well.

My sister and I are extremely different. We don't even look like sisters. My mother was always amazed we got along fairly well. But we are so different that there just isn't any reason to fight. If that makes sense.

We both know that we will be there for each other come what may. Thats all that matters.

My two boys are only 4 and 1 and so far are almost exactly alike. It's very strange. I really wonder when I'll start to see two different personalities emerge. They do get along very well too. They are such good buddies and I hope they remain so.

My DS (23) and DD (21) are like oil and water... but since they both got to college (15 minutes apart) they are like best freinds. It has been amazing to see two children totally opposite (DS quiet, DD vociferous!!!) become so close.

DH and I are only children.........

Our DDs are all 2 years apart. We always call DD6 and DD4 Yin and Yang. :rotfl2: DD2 seems more like a combo of both.

My kids are like night and day. DS 14 is extremely intelligent, logical, hyper, defiant, temperamental, high strung, and stubborn. DD 9 is a little slow, sweet, compliant, even tempered, creative, and very flexible. When the kids were little, they were inseparable and DS treated her like a little princess. Now, they hate each other and it breaks my heart. :sad1:

I am so hoping the two of them will get past this and become close again.

My 3 children generally get along well. When trouble is a brewing it is usually my DS3 stirring the pot!

DS11 is a gentle and kind boy with keen sensitivity towards others. I know that he will be a great husband and father. :goodvibes

DD9 is independent (she doesn't have a need to be with others), sweet, academically competitive, and has NO common sense (this is scary to me). I think she is a clone of my sister. She is an attorney and I could see DD going into that field as well.

DS3 is a character. He has never met a stranger (he tells everyone our address) :rolleyes: When we leave a restaurant he speaks and waves goodbye to all of the tables. He loves the outdoors, and is a very strong willed child. I really dread the teen years with this one. ;)

My only regret is my daughter doesn't have a sister. I love having a sister.

Lori

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter