Do your children carry their own bags at the park?

todzwife

<font color=darkorchid>There's nothing worse than
We have 4 kids. Our older 2 will be almost 9 and just turned 11 when we go this fall. I don't plan to let them run off without us, but I'm curious if others have their kids carry a small purse/hip pack with their own snacks and wallet or if that's something you prefer to hang onto yourself.

Our kids are 11 and 10 and yes, they carry their own bags. They are in middle school - so carrying a bag around Disney is nothing compared to a backpack. But even on our first trip when they were 8 and 9 they had no problem carrying a small bag with their own water, their autograph books, wallets, pen, and various other junk they felt necessary to have with them in the parks.

My son has had his own bag since he was 5. Back then it was snacks and a notecard with my name, number and our hotel. Through the years he added trading pins, snack money and a cell phone.

Funny you asked. Our daughter will be 9-going-on-ten on this next trip. Up until now I've loaded everything into the stroller. She asked yesterday if she could get a small backpack to wear in the parks. She wants to pack some gum and chapstick. I'm fine with it. I am going to get her souvenir money in the form of gift cards and will hold on to that. I'll let her handle the rest, just need to make sure she doesn't share my fondness for overpacking the thing.

I'm usually the one with the backpack stuffed full for the day.

But not this next trip or trips after this one too.

I have made cinch bags for everyone. I will have two of my grandkids on this next trip, DGS 12 and DGD 10.

Their cinch bags will have a pair of flipflops, rain poncho, water bottle, snacks and their money pouch. Maybe a light sweatshirt...

When we ride GRR, I'll have them change into flip flops and we'll use the free lockers to store the bags and shoes.

Cinch bags are so popular now. I went to the fabric store and bought some Disney themed fabric. Each bag takes 3/4yd Fabric $9.99/yd, 4yds drawstring $1.98/yd, 9"zipper $2.90. In an hour or so I had one sewn up.

Geemo

When our girls were 8 and 7, they had fanny packs with a few snack, hand sanitizer, a card with info in case they got lost, etc. The fanny packs worked great because they had their hands free, couldn't really lose them, and carried enough to have a snack without opening the big backpack and digging through. Last year when we went, they were 11 and 10, and they each had a small backpack with the same stuff + a water bottle, jacket if they weren't wearing it, camera, etc. I think it is great for kids to have their own little bag or fanny pack once they are old enough. It's good to have something that stays on easily with their hands free.

DD9 carries some stuff. Typically, she carries a bag of pins (she's been great with it since she accidentally left it in the restroom one trip and was sooo worried about it until it showed up in lost & found the next day) and a little string backpack with Duffy in it (Duffy is her travelling companion. He joins us on every trip, not just Disneyland). Since the pin losing incident, I've always been willing to store the pin bags (sometimes her sister carries one as well) in my backpack.

Nope. Since we have always had a stroller we just shove everything under it (everyones hoodies, drinks, snacks, etc). Easier, less hassle and less chance of someone leaving something somewhere!!
I assume since you will have a wee one you will have a stroller so to make your life easier just shove everything underneath!

Whatever you choose you will have a magical time!

My nieces started carrying bags at the park when they were 6 and 9. They would have their hairbrush, a couple bags of snacks (goldfish and fruit gummies mostly), and a water bottle in it. My mom sews, so she would make them little cinch sacks out of character fabric each year. They *LOVED* them, and were very careful to not leave them anywhere. They still carry them (well, new "grownup" ones ... they wouldn't be caught dead with Dora the Explorer now lol) in the parks today, at 11 and 14.

We tour the parks with just my tiny cross body purse now; no snacks, waters, extra clothes, etc. Free at last! Kids are 7 and 9 and we've only been able to go bare bones for about a year.
If the kids want to buy anything, they hold the store bag. DS does usually bring in a disposable water bottle because he's a water snob and hates the tap ice water.
We have rented a locker a couple times to hold sweatshirts when we won't be going back to the hotel for a break.
I hate holding stuff; I used a stroller for far too long because I didn't even want to carry a backpack around. If I were to let the kids bring bags into the Parks, I know how it would go down: DD7 would stuff hers full of toys and hotel stationery and clothes and make me crazy pulling stuff out in line, and DS9 would choose to not take a bag in.

I too am guilty of taking a stroller for far too long. I told the family we were going without this year and DS8 (9 by the time we go) was sad. He is a small kid. But still! Anyway I think we are going to go without. My two DDs 14 & 12 will have their VB hipsters and I'll probably make them each carry an extra poncho for their brothers. I'll have a shoulder bag as well. Haven't decided what all will go in the bags. I'm so scared to go without a stroller! I'm used to all that rolling space to toss stuff.

Both my DD's carry a bag now. My DD8 has a Perry fanny pack that she will use but sometimes she takes a small cross body bag. She likes to switch it up. My DD11 uses a small cross body bag. The both carry chapstick, money and the older one has a phone. The younger one tends to carry more little trinkets and toys but it is on her to keep that stuff with her.

We've always brought 2 backpacks for the 4 of us (water, snacks, camera, sunscreen, etc) & trade off. Everyone carries one at some point. It gets lighter as the day goes on so the first carriers are always my hubby & myself.

We used to carry this tiny backpack. Small enough that DS would wear it and did some of the day from age 2 on. But we never let him carry it when it had the video camera or anything heavy in it.

DS is now 12 and for a few years has been using a manhatten portage crossover bag. It's slim and he doesn't even have to take it off for most rides. It allows him to have his sunglasses, chapstick, iphone, a few dollars, some Kleenex, a few trading pins and he also keeps a small roll of pennies and quarters in it to make smashed pennies. Oh and his camera, he has been carrying his own camera for a couple years now.

It's great because he has access to all his stuff without getting into DH's backpack every two seconds.

http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Por...sr=8-1&keywords=manhattan+portage+city+lights

This is another one that is a bit smaller

http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Por..._sbs_sg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VKPHT63M4M7D8KCQ5QA

I carry a similar style bag from Vera Bradley (the mini hipster) and would totally buy one for any girl 8 or 9 plus in age so she can have access to the same type of items.

http://www.amazon.com/Vera-Bradley-...892&sr=8-1&keywords=vera+bradley+mini+hipster

We used fanny packs when we were little (5, 8 & 10). My sisters are deaf and at that stage wore fanny packs to school with their RF units in them (basically the teacher wears a microphone and the sound feeds straight into the hearing aids) so I was the only one not used to it. We carried snacks and autograph books and my older sister and I certainly carried our own spending money (not sure about the 5 yo - she did have the aforementioned RF in her pack in case she got lost!). Later, in the London leg of the trip, we each had a bag.

We dont take much stuff. If it doesn't fit in our pockets or my very small accross the body purse, it doesn't go. I put my ID, CC's, tickets, tissue, baggy of wipes, travel size sunblock, chap stick and thats about it in my purse. DH always tries to get me to carry his wallet or sunglasses, I tell him no. If he wants to take them, he needs to carry them. DS doesn't need to bring anything.

We usually bring one backpack for the family, that usually dh or I get stuck carrying. I can't get the kids to carry any of their things! :) I mean, I am sure I could force the issue, but they really don't even like being tied down to their sweatshirts. When my DS was little I got him a fanny pack to carry his stuff. It was not comfortable for him on several rides so that didn't last long.

I'm lucky if I can get them to wear the witz case with the passes and FP.

I have been carrying my own bag around since I was like 8..I never carried any MONEY, but like my own water, my snacks, a sweatshirt... that kind of stuff! :)

My son this trip will be using a hip pack. normally we have it all in one bag but lately ive started thinking him having his own phone and card and stuff could be good

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter