• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you wish there was an adult's only restaurant at DW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
" Our child was never left with a babysitter (with the exception of family, husband and I worked opposite shifts to prevent this from happening). I wouldn't dare leave a child with strangers... even at WDW! "

Do what we do when we want a dinner without the kids. We drop them off at the Poly pool with their mugs from last trip to swim and remind them to grab chairs on the beach for the fireworks before the Poly guests get them all.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Seriously though, I 100% agree with you and would never leave children with a stranger anywhere.
I do not think there should be an adults only restaurant. I have had to deal with too many "adults" far more childish, loud, obnoxious, and disruptive than any child to think it would make for a peaceful restaurant.

Just curious, but most of you who have said you don't want one have followed up by saying all the reasons you wouldn't want to go there. So then why would you care if there is one? If you're never going to go to it and it's not something you'd be interested in, why begrudge others who might be interested?

I can't stand McDonald's and I would never eat at the one at Downtown Disney, but I certainly don't care that it's there. I just walk on past and don't give it a second thought.

As a few people have pointed out, families come in all shapes and sizes and not all include children, either by chance or by design. So the excuse "Disney is for families" doesn't cut it. Besides, as Walt himself said, Disney is for EVERYONE.

I won't condemn you for not wanting to leave your children with strangers; that's just responsible parenting.

But it's not right to force an entire restaurant to live with the consequenses of that choice. If you choose not to leave your kids with a sitter, you should also choose to respect the rights of everybody else in the restaurant to enjoy a fine dining experience in a sophisticated, peaceful, adult atmosphere, and not drag your kids there until they are old enough and mature enough to guarantee that they will not disturb the other diners.

WDW is for family... what about families without kids? Are childless newlyweds not entitled to enjoy WDW without other peoples' kids? Are empty nesters not entitled to enjoy WDW without other peoples' kids?

Family time IS special, but not everyone defines "family" exactly the same as you do. Nor does everyone define "family time" the same as you do. I don't begrudge you your special time with your princesses - all I ask in return is that you not begrudge me my time without your three princesses.

I agree completely that it is incumbant upon parents to properly teach their children how to behave in public, and to not take them to environment where their behavior would be unacceptable. But you know as well as I do that many parents either have no concept of this, or simply don't care. Their reasoning is, "Being a parent should never keep me from doing whatever I want to do, whenever and however I want to do it." And that includes dragging unruly children into a signature restaurant and getting indignant at the very idea that they might be doing something innapropriate.

Because of people like this, I think it's perfectly reasonable to have a few restaurants where adults can enjoy themselves without the rude parents bringing their unruly kids in. Sure, there are plenty of parents whose kids are not unruly and behave perfectly in a restaurant, but there is no way to recognize the loud ones until they start screaming while I'm trying to enjoy my salad, and by then it's too late.

But then aren't you punishing the well behaved children/parents by grouping them all together? Should the nice parents and well behaved children have to suffer the rude parents/unruly children? It could be said then that well behaved children don't have the right to a nice quiet dinner.:confused3

It would be nice if parents were parents no matter WHERE they are, and tended to their children. Sadly I don't think that is going to happen any time soon. (but one can always hope!):angel:

" Our child was never left with a babysitter (with the exception of family, husband and I worked opposite shifts to prevent this from happening). I wouldn't dare leave a child with strangers... even at WDW! "

Do what we do when we want a dinner without the kids. We drop them off at the Poly pool with their mugs from last trip to swim and remind them to grab chairs on the beach for the fireworks before the Poly guests get them all.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Seriously though, I 100% agree with you and would never leave children with a stranger anywhere.
I do not think there should be an adults only restaurant. I have had to deal with too many "adults" far more childish, loud, obnoxious, and disruptive than any child to think it would make for a peaceful restaurant.

If Disney did offer an Adult Only restaurant that certainly would not mean that you would have to leave YOUR child with a stranger. You would have the option of eating at dozens of other fine restaurants with your delightful child/children, it just means that my husband and I (who have chosen to be child-free) would not have to listen to your or someone else's children crying, screaming or acting up during our dinner. I realize that you all have well behaved little darlings, but there are still some cranky, loud, misbehaved children out there that I would rather not dine beside.

Also, parents PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW YOUR YOUNG CHILDREN TO SWIM/DIVE IN THE HOT TUBS. THIS IS DOWNRIGHT IGNORANT ON YOUR PART!!!!

:confused3 No sort of a wish here!! WDW is for family :angel: . I can hire a sitter at home and go out, but at WDW it is all about our family and making memories!! My 3 princesses:cheer2: , :bride: , and princess: , have learned such good manners while at WDW, since we go to so many TS while we are there. Family time is so special, and before you know it the little ones will be grown and gone :sad1: , and our memories are all we will have left. :grouphug: ....

OP here. I couldn't agree more, and we have made some family memories to last a lifetime at Disney, for sure. You may have misunderstood my wishes. I am only talking about perhaps an hour, out of an entire week to 10 days of adult time here. Not the entire vacation, gosh no. I have loved every single minute of our time with our boys on our vacations. This is just one dinner.

To be clear, I think that there have been only 2 people in all 60-something posts that have said that they don't think that Disney should have an adults-only restaurant. Even though it's not something that I particularly care for, I don't care if there is one. Totally fine by me.

You have to wonder why they don't have one yet, though. Maybe it's because Walt's original vision for the theme parks was to bring families together -- to give them something that every person in the family could enjoy while spending time together. Who knows? From this thread, it seems like they'd get plenty of business, and the dollar rules. Maybe one day you will have what you wish for.

I'd much rather have a restaurant where rude, obnoxious, loud or snobby adults were not allowed. Honestly, If i am looking for an adults only experience, I don't think WDW is my first choice.

To be clear, I think that there have been only 2 people in all 60-something posts that have said that they don't think that Disney should have an adults-only restaurant. Even though it's not something that I particularly care for, I don't care if there is one. Totally fine by me.

You have to wonder why they don't have one yet, though. Maybe it's because Walt's original vision for the theme parks was to bring families together -- to give them something that every person in the family could enjoy while spending time together. Who knows? From this thread, it seems like they'd get plenty of business, and the dollar rules. Maybe one day you will have what you wish for.

OP here again. I understand Walt's vision was to bring families together, I don't disagree (by the way, take a look at my first post about the Disney cruise line, they have an all adult restaurant on board called Palo, its awesome). On their cruise line, they also provide an adult pool and an all adult beach, so clearly they see the need and people absolutely LOVE it on board. I am really not quite sure why DW has not started at least a restaurant similar to this, its an interesting discussion though.

OP here again. I understand Walt's vision was to bring families together, I don't disagree (by the way, take a look at my first post about the Disney cruise line, they have an all adult restaurant on board called Palo, its awesome). On their cruise line, they also provide an adult pool and an all adult beach, so clearly they see the need and people absolutely LOVE it on board. I am really not quite sure why DW has not started at least a restaurant similar to this, its an interesting discussion though.

From what a friend of mine who was a CM with the DCL for awhile, said...

DCL has to put a cap on how many children are on the boat at a time. They have to make sure that they have 'x' amount of CMs available for every child on board. The adults only area on the boats are so popular that frequently CMs have to go find the parents to let them know that their kids are ready for parent time. Parents will leave their kids there from the earliest moment possible until they are paged late in the evening when the kids club is closing shop.

Read into that what you will.

Maybe there isn't an adults only area at WDW because they don't have to monitor the ration of CMs to children?

Regardless, it does make for an interesting conversation.

I don't know what kind of parents we would be considered.* :laughing: Our 2 little ones are 2 and 4 (see sig pic) and almost IDENTICAL in size.* We spend most of our vacations saying "Nope, not twins!"* :) Anyway, DD4 is an absolute ANGEL.* She sits, she eats...I would never take her to V&A's because 1. I am not paying that kind of money for her to eat 1/3 of the meal and 2. If we go to V&A's, that is mom and dad time.* We get very little of that.* But in theory, we could.* Even the late seating.* Unless you saw her, you probably would not even know she was there, she is just so well behaved at restaurants.* Moreso than my 13 yr old son. ;) Her 2 yr old brother is an ENTIRELY different story.* He is generally good, but he gets in moods, which we never know when one may hit.* He may be excellent for 1/2 the meal and then want to climb on the table.* The problems arise since we are never sure with him. For this reason, we mainly do buffets.* The faster everyone can eat and get out, the better.* If we do decide on a sit down, we do lunch, as someone said, or a very early dinner, like 4 pm.* So we are out of there before the couples.* And honestly, I would never take the kids to Yachtsman, Artists Point, Cali Grill, Jiko, etc.* We are trying LeCellier, but only lunch.* I would never take him to dinner there.But I know people have seen him being nuts and probably wondered what happened.* He looks so big and his sister is so good, I think some people don't know he is only 2 or think she is less than 4 and wonder if maybe we dropped him as a baby. :) He is a really strong-willed kid, although the better he talks, the easier it is to deal with him without a major meltdown. I feel a little sad that people would assume I did not set limits for my kids if he was not sitting there with folded hands throughout dinner/lunch, etc.* Three of my kids, 15, 13, and 4, I would be proud to send to dinner at the White House without a worry.Regardless...I would only get occasional use out of an adults only restaurant at WDW, but I would have no issue if they had one.* There is no law saying kids HAVE to have access to everything.* Grown-ups need some time too. :)

I don't see the problem with having one, although I'll admit I'd likely get annoyed if the menu appealed to me. :rotfl:

I think the problem most people see is that it lumps all kids under whatever age together as being unable to behave in a nice restaurant. That assumption does get annoying after a while, when you are the parent with kids who can behave and enjoy fine dining. We have deliberately parented our children in such a way that they can handle and appreciate a wide variety of situations, from fine dining and the ballet or theatre to the local pizzeria and a Disney movie, and I am sometimes aggravated at the assumptions people make about kids in nicer/quieter settings. But I'm also aware that it often seems, even to me, that we're in a pretty small minority as parents who insist upon good behaviour and who have kids who comply (and I do give them a lot of the credit - parenting only goes so far, and we're lucky to have two easy-going, agreeable children to work with), and who are willing to acknowledge and respect their limits.

I like the idea a previous poster had about making the lounges adults-only. I could even see extending it to the out-of-the-way seating areas that some restaurants have (ie the wine room at California Grill). That way, you aren't excluding parents who aren't comfortable with childcare on vacation from enjoying the menus at those restaurants, but you're still creating a space where couples who want a break from kids can be assured that they won't be seated next to a family with fussing children.

Actually when I was at the hot tub at POR recently I saw a sign that said no children under 10 (I think-I forget the exact age). That sign was IGNORED by several parents who let their YOUNG children get in the hot tub unsupervised.

I had this conversation on another board not all that long ago, and no one seemed to know the official rule. But this is another one of those things that, like the restaurant issue, depends more on behaviour than age. I'd much rather be in the hot tub with a kid like my DD6, who likes to sit & chat with me in the hot tub at the end of the day, than the 12-ish yos who were splashing around in the hot tub at SAB on our last trip.

Lets suppose Disney opens an adult restaurant .

Which group will come with there next wishes? A child free park once a month, a special day just for the elderly, maybe a pet day when pets are allowed in the park, an resort just for adults. The wish list will grow and grow .

I just don’t think that Disney will ore can make exceptions for different kind of groups.

Which group will come with there next wishes? A child free park once a month, a special day just for the elderly, maybe a pet day when pets are allowed in the park, an resort just for adults. The wish list will grow and grow .

I just don’t think that Disney will ore can make exceptions for different kind of groups.

Actually, I think all of that sounds great.

Actually, I think all of that sounds great.

And how do you expect that for example parents with children will react on a elderly day only just stay in the hotel for a day?:confused3

The same will happen to an adults only restaurant. Parents will just go there make trouble and still will be seated after they drove the waiter crazy.

And how do you expect that for example parents with children will react on a elderly day only just stay in the hotel for a day?:confused3

The same will happen to an adults only restaurant. Parents will just go there make trouble and still will be seated after they drove the waiter crazy.

Let me restate. An adult only resort, hot tub, dining experience I'm all for. Not an adult only day at the parks. Let them complain, just stick to the rules, it works on the cruise ships.

Disney already does make exceptions for different groups.

There are 4 Pirate Cruises limited to children 4-10 years of age. No younger, and no older. No adults.
Pirate Cruise info

There are activity centers at 10 resorts limited to kids 4-12 years of age.
Kid's Activity Centers

The following activities at Grand Floridian are also limited to kids 4-10:

*Grand Adventured in Cooking
*Wonderland Tea Party

Jedi Academy at Disneyland and at Disney Studios is limited to ages 4-12 as well. And don't think there aren't adults who would do this if they could!

All of those activities are restricted to kids only. Parents may not accompany their children on these activities. If a child is unable to cope without their parents for the duration of the activity, the parent is called to collect the child; that's it, no exceptions.

There are also many times when individual parks are restricted to paying groups; the Pop Warner football and cheerleading competition gets the use of MGM every year for one night; the park closes early and is restricted only to members of that group.

There are also sponsored corporate and private events held in Epcot all the time; the old Millenium pavilion can be rented for corporate functions; several balcony areas on the World Showcase Lagoon are closed for private parties of various types during Illuminations; and the island area in Italy has been closed for wedding receptions during the middle of the day.

So Disney does, indeed have "exceptions for different kinds of groups." Disney can and will do anything they want with their own parks, resorts, and restaurants, if it makes good business sense (and sometimes even if it doesn't). It's perfectly plausible, and would probably be a rousing success, for Disney to create a few isolated pockets of adulthood within the confines of WDW, just as they have created isolated pockets of childhood.

I have never been to V&A because it's out of my price range. But if DIsney had more moderately priced restaurants that were adults-only, I'd probably go to one or more of them on every trip (depending on the menu and theming).

So Disney does, indeed have "exceptions for different kinds of groups." Disney can and will do anything they want with their own parks, resorts, and restaurants, if it makes good business sense (and sometimes even if it doesn't). It's perfectly plausible, and would probably be a rousing success, for Disney to create a few isolated pockets of adulthood within the confines of WDW, just as they have created isolated pockets of childhood.

Just pointing out that there will be more problems than it will bring rest fore everyone. For every move they make its seems there are lawyers to suit them.
I think Disney will try to avoid every possible lawsuit

Just read this.

Disabled guests sue Disney World over Segway ban

ORLANDO (AP) — Three disabled people have sued Walt Disney World for not allowing them to use their Segways to move around its theme parks.

The plaintiffs are each able to stand but cannot walk far, and they have been denied permission to use their two-wheel vehicles at Disney World, according to the federal court lawsuit.

The suit filed Friday says they're among an estimated 4,000 to 7,000 similarly disabled people who have turned to Segways as mobility tools.

A group called Disability Rights Advocates for Technology, which raises money to donate Segways to disabled U.S. military veterans and pushes for their acceptance, previously asked theme parks to lift bans on the devices. Group co-founder Jerry Karr said Segways offer more mobility and dignity than wheelchairs.

Disney says it fears Segways could endanger other guests because they can go faster than 12 mph.

"We've made our position very clear on these Segways in our parks," Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Polak told the Orlando Sentinel on Friday. "Our primary concern is the safety of all our guests and our cast members. We have a long history of being a leader in creating accessible experiences for our guests with disabilities."

Plaintiff Mahala Ault, 33, has multiple sclerosis; Dan Wallace, lost one foot in an accident and Stacie Rhea has Lou Gehrig's disease. The suit did not give their hometowns, saying only that Ault and Wallace are from Illinois and Rhea is from Iow.

BTW how do you think the press wil react? DISNEY BANS CHILDREN FROM HIS RESTAURANTS!!!!!

I won't condemn you for not wanting to leave your children with strangers; that's just responsible parenting.

But it's not right to force an entire restaurant to live with the consequenses of that choice. If you choose not to leave your kids with a sitter, you should also choose to respect the rights of everybody else in the restaurant to enjoy a fine dining experience in a sophisticated, peaceful, adult atmosphere, and not drag your kids there until they are old enough and mature enough to guarantee that they will not disturb the other diners.

WDW is for family... what about families without kids? Are childless newlyweds not entitled to enjoy WDW without other peoples' kids? Are empty nesters not entitled to enjoy WDW without other peoples' kids?

Family time IS special, but not everyone defines "family" exactly the same as you do. Nor does everyone define "family time" the same as you do. I don't begrudge you your special time with your princesses - all I ask in return is that you not begrudge me my time without your three princesses.

I agree completely that it is incumbant upon parents to properly teach their children how to behave in public, and to not take them to environment where their behavior would be unacceptable. But you know as well as I do that many parents either have no concept of this, or simply don't care. Their reasoning is, "Being a parent should never keep me from doing whatever I want to do, whenever and however I want to do it." And that includes dragging unruly children into a signature restaurant and getting indignant at the very idea that they might be doing something innapropriate.

Because of people like this, I think it's perfectly reasonable to have a few restaurants where adults can enjoy themselves without the rude parents bringing their unruly kids in. Sure, there are plenty of parents whose kids are not unruly and behave perfectly in a restaurant, but there is no way to recognize the loud ones until they start screaming while I'm trying to enjoy my salad, and by then it's too late.

This is exactly how I feel. I honestly would not choose to patronize the adults only restaurant but I recognize that my choice is mine. To have options for those whose choices differ does not detract from me or my family. I have never understood why every TS restaurant in Disney needs to include children. People who prefer childless dining could also be accommodated without causing offense to those whose children accompany them. The answer is simple, just choose a different restaurant, As it stands now those who want an adult meal do not have that option available to them.

Just out of curiosity--in any adults only restaurant, what age would folks suggests that "adults" start at?
I must say that normal acting children in any restaurant don't bother me--but kids throwing food, kicking my chair, and crawling on the table surely do. But then loud obnoxious adults also bother me. And we've seen our fair share of both all the many times we dine out. So I'm not sure if an adults only spot would actually offer any haven from what I don't like..
That said, I wouldn't mind if Disney ever decided on an adults only spot. But as has been noted, even V&A allows kids of any age, so I don't see Disney ever doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter