Do you wear a poncho on water rides?

I always take and wear a poncho on Splash Mt and Kali. But my son never wears one. I just don't like getting soaked to slosh around the rest of the day but I love riding the ride with my family. Also, just because you wear a poncho doesn't mean you stay bone dry - I've gotten wet also - just not totally soaked. We always joke about it between ourselves - whatever works for you - ponchos or no ponchos - wear whatever makes the ride more enjoyable for each person in the group.

We wore our ponchos on Kali. We really don't care for the ride. The only reason we went on it was because my sister and husband like it.

The only water ride we ever wear a poncho on is Kali. Sorry, but walking around all day in wet shorts and underwear...not my idea of being comfortable, LOL. :lmao:

Sure, we could bring a change of clothes, or wear swim trunks I guess, but eh, that's just way too much of a hassle for one ride.

I've been to several major theme parks across the nation and ridden their water rides:
Six Flags over Georgia
Six Flags over Texas
Fiesta Texas San Antonio
Astro World - Houston
Disneyland
WDW - not including water parks.
I've never ever ridden a ride that gets you as absolutely, thoroughly soaked as Kali River Rapids does. There's not one even close. Why would you want to walk around completely drenched. That's stupid and it's a ride that needs to be fixed. I have no problem getting wet on a flume ride. 20 minutes later your dry.

There is a ride at our local amusement park here, Dorney Park in Allentown PA, it's called Thunder Canyon. It is a ride like Kali, not quite as elaborate of course, but you get DRENCHED. There is no way to get off that ride looking like anything other than having literally jumped into the water, fully clothed, due to the waterfall setups.

Now, the nice thing about it is that the ride is right next to the entrance to the waterpark, which is included with admission\season passes, so we generally only ride it on the days we are hitting that.

I love wearing a poncho on Kali! My DD is a ride chicken, and for some reason this is the only ride that has a decent drop that she will ride. She really likes it and it IS fun to see who will get the drenching -- especially if you know it's NOT gonna be YOU! :thumbsup2 NEVER have a problem giving them away after the ride, either!

I didn't wear a poncho on Splash last trip, but I wished I had!!! Got it with the water cannon, dead on. Probably brought it on myself by being a water wuss! :rolleyes:

It has probably already been said, but those of us with daredevil children sometimes end up donig things we would rather not, like getting on a water ride. Don't begrudge us the small comfort of a poncho! Mabye part of me at least can stay dry!

I've always worn a poncho at the Kali (not at Splash Mountain). I don't like walking around with wet clothes. I usually bring extras clothes for my 2 children and let them decide (only when it's hot) if they want to wear a poncho or not. Most of the time my daughter does, she doesn't like the feeling of getting wet with her clothes on. My son, on the other hand, copies my husband and doesn't wear one. Like father like son. Anyways, each and every time they both get off the ride, wishing they wore ponchos.:confused3

By the way, we've always had people comment that we're the smart ones. Everyone comes out wet and my daughter and I slide off our ponchos and we're good to go.:):thumbsup2

We've had people tell us that they are going to get a poncho for the next time they ride.

I agree with some of the other posters. Why would anyone care if someone else is wearing a poncho? No one is making you wear one, what's the big deal. Many people have a reason for wearing it.

We always wear ponchos on water rides.. love the rides, don't like walking around the rest of the day wet (esp. in places you shouldn't be wet!) :thumbsup2
Then you end up with parts of your body rub raw and tender, not fun for the rest of your trip! We also always have people who want the ponchos as we get off the ride.. we just hand them off (we always have the walmart disposable ones)

There are lots of reasons why different people wear the ponchos... but more to the point: why do you care? Everyone is different, some people wear hats, some don't.. some carry backpacs, some leave stuff in lockers... some pack a lunch, some eat at restaurants.. whatever works for them.. but it amazes me that so many people care what other people do.. why? If it works for them and they are happy and not bothering you.. then why do you care? :confused3
I understand that the OP may just be curious as to our (poncho wearers) reasons for trying to stay dry on a water ride, so my "why do you care" is more for those that think we should get out of the line for the ones that want to get wet.. we love the ride too, just not the walking around soaked part..

Besides, it's hard to use the umbrela without the CM's catching you... :rotfl:

Yes, it’s just curiosity on my part. If it was raining at the park and I didn’t want to get wet, I would wear a poncho. However, I would never get on a water ride if I did not want to get wet, poncho or no poncho. I just wanted to know people’s motivation. I wanted to understand their point of view. I’m sorry if this thread offended anyone. It was not my intention.

In case anyone is interested in my point of view which many of you might find silly. I love water rides and I don’t mind walking around wet. However, I don’t like walking around in wet sneakers. So on days I plan on getting wet, I wear sandals. Sound reasonable? Well, I also don’t like sandals. But I like wet sneakers less.

Alright, I'll start off by saying I don't ride KRR for that exact reason that I don't want to get drenched down to my unmentionables;) Plus, I think the ride in pretty lame in my opinion and not worth the wait. My Mom and I did wear them on Splash Mountain last week however. For some reason it seemed like the water levels were higher and even the smaller drops waves were hitting the rocks and splashing back at you. It took us getting totally soaked on the first ride of the trip and walking around with messed up hair and wet bottoms to decide to pull out the ponchos all of the other times we rode it.

Ponchos are cheating!:thumbsup2

But seriously, part of riding water rides is to see who will get the wettest and praying that you don't get as wet as the others in your raft. Fantastic!

But you have to be prepared. If you go on water rides, you gotta make sure that you wear something that dries quickly and that you ride them during the heat of the day. But I wouldn't wear a poncho.

As a matter of fact, I was at another park (IOA) and I saw a group of muslim women going on a water ride where you are basically guaranteed to get soaked. They were fully-dressed in traditional female Islamic wear... with no ponchos! And yes... all of that fabric got completely soaked!

So if they can go without a poncho, I can certainly go without one.

I would defintely wear a poncho on KRR, but last trip we skipped the ride and didn't miss it a bit.

I have never worn a poncho on a water ride and I don’t plan on wearing one. I just don’t see the appeal. Splash Mountain is a different story because of the Br'er Patch theme. I can understand wanting to see that without getting wet. By why do some people want to ride something like Kali River Rapids with a poncho?

To me, it’s like a game. “Who will get the wettest? Can I make it through without getting soaked?” In my mind, wearing a poncho on a water ride is like getting on a roller coaster and saying “I don’t like fast movement. Can I just sit here while you blow wind in my face?”

I wore a poncho on Kali and Splash Mountain. I low the flow of water rides but don't like walking around for hours with wet britches!

I've worn them
More on Splash Mountain than on Kali.
Mostly during EMH at night.
General rule, if I'm wearing long sleeves (or sweather) and /or long pants, I wear the poncho. I don't want to be cold AND wet.
To me it's easier to carry a poncho than a change of clothes

I wore a poncho only once on Splash Mountain. Apparently there was an equipment malfunction with my poncho. Here's what happened. As we neared the part of the ride where the drop is coming up, I prepared myself by making sure the poncho that I was wearing was covering me fully. Just as we started to drop, I lifted my arms up in delight, as I always do on drop rides. At this point, the malfunction took place. Apparently, the drop was creating a good sized wind current that was shooting up under my poncho. My poncho flew upwards and over my face and head. (If you could imagine a woman's dress being blown completely up over her head, that is what happened with my poncho).Well, we hit the bottom of the drop and all the water flooded in and drenched my clothes. At that point, the perfectly dry poncho gently drifted back down on my lap. The good news is that the ride camera captured that moment perfectly, so that all of the other guests could have a good laugh at me, while looking up at the monitor..

I have no desire to ride KRR. I know blasphemy but I have been on similar rides and I do not want to be soaked. I do wear a poncho on Splash Mountain because I am also holding on to my cameras and even though they are in a bag and protected I am going to keep that bag under the poncho for extra protection. I am also going in December and would prefer not to be cold and wet.

Ditto. Looks like we will be there the same time as you. We are at MK on the 1st. We will be the ones in ponchos on Splash Mountain!

Kali River Rapids is my son's favorite ride. I however hate getting wet on rides. So I always wear a poncho. I also like the theming of the ride. The fires are pretty cool.

No, I go on the water ride with the expectation of getting wet. If I did not want to get wet I would not ride.

I usually go in Dec./Jan., in desperate search of sun and warmth.

If it's under 75 degrees outside, I'll consider a poncho or skipping the ride. If it's warmer than that, I'm enjoying the very ability to get wet and not freeze to death from it, and am wearing quick-drying clothes.

But always, no matter what, I'm changing into my water shoes while I'm in line. There's nothing worse than trying to walk around in wet sneakers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter