Do you wear a poncho on Kali????

StEpHandMiKe<3Disney

DIS Veteran
Dh and I love Kali River Rapids at AK. Since 2004, we have been very lucky that we have not got drenched on this ride. We go in May, so it is normally hot that time of year. We get splashed enough just to get a little cool down. Neither of us have ever been "under the waterfall". :goodvibes My question is... I feel it is inevitable that we will be under the waterfall this year since it's never happened. Does anyone wear a poncho on this ride? We bought these adorable ponchos in August while at Disneyland and I would love to wear them, but not if anyone else wears them. :goodvibes Tell me what you do.

I'm a wash and wear sort of person and I only ride Kali with DGS who really gets a kick out of getting wet. I'm just careful to wear non-see thru clothing 'cause we've all seen the girls in white shorts or tees after getting drenched.:goodvibes

Yes, I wear a poncho on Kali! I take cheap dollar tree poncho's with me everytrip so that I can just toss them afterwards...

I have not but I should have. Twice we have ridden and twice we could not have gotten wetter if they had tipped the raft over and made us swim to the exit.

I would love to see a poll on this - how many people get splashed and how many people get drenched? This would tell me if I'm just plain unlucky or a victim of the odds. I know two rides isn't enough to calculate percentages but it's enough to make you think seriously about riding a third time!

Edited to add: I'm usually in cotton shirts and khaki (cotton) shorts, which if the fabric is thick can take FOREVER to dry in the Florida humidity. Not a pleasant feeling, especially if you're sitting on a wet behind in a cold theater.

Only once because another mom gave it to me when she got off. It was great, but not necessary. When we got off the ride, I handed it off to another mom. I love that about WDW!

I don't. To me, more than half the fun of a water ride is the anticipation of "will I or won't I get wet?".

The reason I go on the ride is to get wet. The wetter the better! :banana: We've gotten drenched and barely wet, it just depends on the luck of the draw I guess. We plan our ride so that we won't be sitting in a theater or some other air conditioned place. We go in September and it is HOT, so the water feels great. I do try to keep my feet up so my shoes don't get wet. For those who wear panchos, more power to you. To each his own, ya know?:thumbsup2

I'm a wash and wear sort of person and I only ride Kali with DGS who really gets a kick out of getting wet. I'm just careful to wear non-see thru clothing 'cause we've all seen the girls in white shorts or tees after getting drenched.:goodvibes

This :thumbsup2
No ponchos for us. We don't care if we get wet, and I have no desire to carry around wet ponchos after the ride

My daughter and I did the first time we rode it. It was a chilly January day. Since then though we haven't and I'm the one who gets soaked every time. I wonder why that is. Sometimes I'm the only adult so I'd think weight but then at other times there have been heavy people on the raft and I still get drenched.

Yes, I wear a poncho on Kali! I take cheap dollar tree poncho's with me everytrip so that I can just toss them afterwards...

Same here! Even if it hot, I don't like being drenched.

Nahhh let it ride:cool1:. I love to get wet on them rides. Now some people love the ride but does not want to get wet. Plus it depends on the weather :rotfl:

DH and I have only ridden Kali once and we got just a little wet. This time, I'll wear a poncho and not give a poo what anyone else thinks. :lmao: BUT...I will ALSO have a change of clothes as this will be our last ride for the day. I got the good old Dollar Tree ponchos. Bought 2 packages of 2, so I'll give the unused one to someone who wants it coming on the ride and offer up the ones we're wearing before throwing them away. :goodvibes

DS13 wears one every single time. If it's really, really hot I don't wear one, but the last time wish I had because I had jean shorts on and they took FOREVER to dry. My legs were chaffing (ewwwww) :sad2: - never again! Not a good feeling. If you're wearing something cool and easy to dry, and it's hot, it might be a welcome relief.

We rock our ponchos!:cool1: I hate that soggy feeling that never goes away. The kids are not big fans of water on their face. You should see dd10 on Kali! Poncho, glasses, visor...she's having a blast!:rotfl:

No way! I love getting wet, that's the whole fun of it to me! I actually have never gotten the big wave washed over me yet, I've been quite lucky. I just make sure I either store things in a locker or place my beltbag into a gallon Ziploc bag, then in another, then in the middle (what can I say, I want to protect my phone and camera!). I also make an extra effort that day to wear items I know won't become sheer or irritating if wet. I also make sure that I'm wearing flip flops. Even on our January trips I stored my UGGs in a locker and threw on the flip flops. Imagine walking around with two soaked sheep on your feet! Not pleasant!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter