Do you want the government to tell your doctor what they can/can't discuss with you?

I don't want the government making laws restricting what Doctors can say to patients. I personally don't care about the gun thing but there have also been attempts at laws restricting Doctors from discussing things like birth control. I do care about some of those issues.

At the same time, I really don't want an overload of parenting advice from my Pediatrician either. Or the school. Or any of the 3 bazillion other places that try obtrusively interject themselves into the family.

I don't want the government restricting what my doctor can say, nor do I want them to force my doctor to lie to me about reproductive issues or force the doctor to perform unnecessary tests or to delay procedures for any reason like waiting periods. Guns are a legitimate safety issue and doctors should be able to talk about them.

The funny thing is the firearm questions are on the mandatory question list when we do a Medicare wellness physical at the clinic I work at. I or the doctor have to ask the patient if they have firearms? If they are loaded? and if they are locked up when not in use?

Now, the patient does not have to answer the questions if they do not want to but we do have to ask them for meaningful use requirements.

I also have to ask about smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and whether they have had their house tested for radon.

:thumbsup2

Totally agree, the children are just as likely to find an unsecured gun in a friends house, the knowledge should be given to every kid. The question is totally unnecessary to the safety information.

Curious which party you are talking about since both parties are guilty of micromanagement. One party claims they are the party of personal choice and then uses government to regulate anything and everything, the other party claims we'd be better off with no government involvement and then uses government to regulate anything and everything.

There is no high road when it comes to political parties because they both scream about how they are there to protect our freedoms and then draft legislation "to protect us" that takes away those freedoms. The fact we have laws regarding legal soda size from one side and what your doctor can ask from the other side should be sickening to anyone that truly believes in liberty.

:thumbsup2

Also agree with PP you quoted. If the goal is gun safety, give the info to every family. Don't quiz them on whether or not they own a gun before you decide to give said talk.

Yes, the NRA backed this bill. I personally find it unnecessary, but there have been numerous complaints about this very topic from patients - specifically with very nosy doctors. And the AMA is historically anti-gun.

If a patient (or parent) doesn't like it, he or she can find a different pediatrician. We "interviewed" several before settling on one that had a philosophy of practice in line with our parenting values. The govt has no business stepping in to prevent doctors from discussing any potential health issue with patients, and we wouldn't even be having a conversation about this if instead of the NRA lobbying to ban doctors from discussing guns it was instead the tobacco lobby trying to prevent discussions of smoking.

(7) An insurer issuing any type of insurance policy pursuant to chapter 627 may not deny coverage, increase any premium, or otherwise discriminate against any insured or applicant for insurance on the basis of or upon reliance upon the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition or the lawful use or storage of a firearm or ammunition. Nothing herein shall prevent an insurer from considering the fair market value of firearms or ammunition in the setting of premiums for scheduled personal property coverage.

This bit bothers me as much as the medical sections. It sounds like it applies to all insurers, not just health insurance, and if so that's going way too far... My insurance company can charge me higher rates for having a pool, drop me if I get a trampoline or certain breeds of dog, even jack up my rate if my credit score falls below a certain threshold, but they can't take into account gun ownership?!?

I'm a born and raised Floridian and had my twins there for three years. I was never asked about guns, nor can I remember my parents being asked.

Water/sun/heat safety was discussed though.

ETA- just sharing my experience. Not doubting anyone else.

Sorry--I meant about pools. So your visits were consistent with ours.

I don't think I would gave an issue with the Dr asking about guns to give a safety talk, but I guess it would depend on their tone.

It us stupid that someone got their undies in a bunch, but maybe the dr was being condescending out it.

Either way while I gave never been given a gun safety speech at our DRs office, he foes always ask what new gun we have gotten recently and how DDs competitive shooting is going.

I don't think I would gave an issue with the Dr asking about guns to give a safety talk, but I guess it would depend on their tone.

It us stupid that someone got their undies in a bunch, but maybe the dr was being condescending out it.

Either way while I gave never been given a gun safety speech at our DRs office, he foes always ask what new gun we have gotten recently and how DDs competitive shooting is going.

You know, that might even be a violation of this law. I'm being serious. That's how badly written this law is.

I don't want the government legislating what my doctor can ask me about. Talk about Big Brother.

I completely disagree, the bill is an attempt by the arms dealers and their lobbyists (the NRA) to try to silence discussions on gun safety and responsibility.

And irrational fears are the leading reason why people own guns.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Your funny,

The bill is to stop doctors from recording what patients have guns and then add that info to their medical records.

Hmmm, could it be that medical records are about to go viral?

What people may not understand is that regulatory agencies REQUIRE that certain subjects get addressed and documented in medical records, and there can be fines if not compliant. Smoking is one of these issues. I don't have it in me today to look it up in regards to "gun safety", but there are a host of issues that require assessment and documentation. So this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me; seems like it could be a Catch 22 - damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

At any rate, I do think that "gun safety" is fine to address in general terms along with other pertinent issues.

From The Journal of the American Medical Assosciation: Silencing the Science on Gun Research

MedicalGagLaw.jpg

From: http://smartgunlaws.org/gun-safety-public-health-policy-recommendations-for-a-more-secure-america/

I completely disagree, the bill is an attempt by the arms dealers and their lobbyists (the NRA) to try to silence discussions on gun safety and responsibility.

And irrational fears are the leading reason why people own guns.

Its not irrational to believe that some firearms might be outlawed and wish to purchase one before said law takes affect. Irrational fears are however behind most gun laws.

:sad2:

More irrational fears???

In the year 2013 at least 194 children died from accidental shooting

127 of the children died from gunshots in their own homes, while dozens more died in the homes of friends, neighbors, and relatives.
72 of the young victims either pulled the trigger themselves or were shot dead by another kid.
At least 52 deaths involved a child handling a gun left unsecured.

Which puts the odds of your child ever getting shoot by accidental shooting very very low.

Your child has a better chance of dying in a car accident

Cars kill 10 times more child in the USA then guns do even the if we include non accidental shootings.

A phobia is, when used in the context of clinical psychology, a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation in which the sufferer commits to great lengths in avoiding, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed, often being recognized as irrational.

Sorry but it is irrational period.

127 of the children died from gunshots in their own homes, while dozens more died in the homes of friends, neighbors, and relatives.
72 of the young victims either pulled the trigger themselves or were shot dead by another kid.

Which puts the odds of your child ever getting shoot by accidental shooting very very low.

The numbers on drowning are similar (IIRC about 300 per year under age 14) and pediatricians still ask about pools and discuss pool safety. Why should questions about guns and discussions of gun safety be in a separate category as taboo?

Your child has a better chance of dying in a car accident

Cars kill 10 times more child in the USA then guns do even the if we include non accidental shootings.

A phobia is, when used in the context of clinical psychology, a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation in which the sufferer commits to great lengths in avoiding, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed, often being recognized as irrational.

Sorry but it is irrational period.

What's your cite?

Mine is almost 2700 kids deaths attributable to fire arms and slightly over 4400 kids deaths attributable to automobiles.

http://www.childdeathreview.org/nationalchildmortalitydata.htm

What's your cite?

Mine is almost 2700 kids deaths attributable to fire arms and slightly over 4400 kids deaths attributable to automobiles.

http://www.childdeathreview.org/nationalchildmortalitydata.htm

According to your source the large majority of those firearm deaths are homicide(1790), second is suicide(749), and accidental is 134. For the discussion here I believe "accidental" would be the only numbers relevant as we're talking about a doctor asking if you own a firearm and if it's stored properly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter