Do you use the dressers?

Uh................ I'm gonna really freak some people out here, I guess.

I use the dressers for my dirty clothes. The clean stuff stays folded in my suitcase, and gets dumped in the dresser when dirty. I've always just assumed that they weren't cleaned by housekeeping and were dirty to start with.

After I saw this thead, I asked some friends about it, and they told me they did the same.

Worse... I used to work in hotels, and I know that the housekeepers found dirty underwear in the drawers all the time.

Sorry guys, but I wouldn't assume that the drawers are clean.

OK.......:scared1:

We always unpack, hang up everything we can, put our bath, hair, ect items in the bathroom. Put our food items in the area by the frig. HOWEVER, I wipe down everything with clorox wipes before(not because they haven't been cleaned, but becaue of germs) You never know if your housekeeper has a cold or such. I also wipe out the drawers, leave them open to air and we head down to the pool or snack area. When we get back, I un-pack the rest of my CLEAN clothes into the drawers. Dirty ones go into large plastic bags kept on the closet floor.

We leave on the western part of the U.S. so a trip for us is usally 10 days to 2 1/2 weeks, so un-packing makes our time much more enjoyable.

Gee, thanks for posting this AFTER we stayed there and used the dresser drawers for our CLEAN clothes. I can't imagine people do that at BLT in the regular bedrooms when they have a laundry room in which to put their dirty clothes, though... This is the first time we've stayed in a room that had a laundry room and we loved it. It made a HUGE difference. I've always hated cramming dirty clothes in bags IN THE CLOSET (not in the drawers) until we could go home to wash them.

Wow.

It would have never crossed my mind that people would use any dresser drawer for dirty clothes. Wow.

I'm totally cloroxing from here on out. Wow.

I think there are drawers in the bottoms of most of the television cabinets in CSR and CBR

We pack a lot of our clothes in Ziplock bags...not so much for the cleanliness, but because you can fit more in the suitcase after you squeeze the air out.
It worked out great with the kids last year, they picked out an outfit for each day before we left, bagged each day up and labelled them. They actually had a lot of fun doing it as well.
When we got to the resort we threw the ziplock bags in the dressers. Every morning was easy, they already had the outfits all picked out, opened the ziplock of the day and away we went.

After reading this thread I'm glad all the clothes were in bags while they were in the dressers!:scared:

I'm sorry but we are some of the folks that put our dirty clothes in the drawers. (at least DH does). Mine are in a pile on the floor of the closet. DD just tosses hers between the bed & the wall.

Maybe I should leave a package of clorox wipes in the drawer for y'all.

It seems so backwards to me to put the dirty clothes in the drawers!

I always put my clean clothes away in drawers. From now on I will be wiping them down first! Eww!

As a side note- with this H1N1 going around, on our last trip I was wiping down everything with disinfecting wipes. The grossest thing was the airplane tray tables. They looked clean to the eye, but upon wiping them we couldn't believe how dirty the wipes were. Gross!

Yuck! Why would anyone even think to put their dirty clothes in the dresser...you would never do that at home. We use the dressers, but using the clorox wipes first the next trip.

I've never thought the drawers were clean, so I use something like this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10574576&findingMethod=rr

They fold completely flat in the bottom of the suitcase, taking up almost no room. When I get to the room, I just pop them out, hang on the closet rod, and am able to put a couple of different outfits (already matched up) on each shelf. I also have a Vera Bradley hanging toiletry bag that I tie up on the closet bar to keep my toiletries off the vanity. I always pack my underclothes in packing cubes, so I will unzip them and place them in the drawers (still in the packing cubes though). I use packing folders to pack my clothes, so every night when we get in, I spray the dirty clothes with frebreeze, refold them using the folding guide, and put them neatly back in the packing folders in the suitcases. That way, on the last morning I am already repacked, except for toiletries, shoes, and any left over clean clothes. I also always keep a couple of nice smelling dryer sheets in my suitcases and in the packing folders to keep everything smelling nice. Repacking at the end of the trip takes only a few minutes and nothing is ever forgotten or lost.

I've never thought the drawers were clean, so I use something like this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10574576&findingMethod=rr

They fold completely flat in the bottom of the suitcase, taking up almost no room. When I get to the room, I just pop them out, hang on the closet rod, and am able to put a couple of different outfits (already matched up) on each shelf. I also have a Vera Bradley hanging toiletry bag that I tie up on the closet bar to keep my toiletries off the vanity. I always pack my underclothes in packing cubes, so I will unzip the them and place them in the drawers (still in the packing cubes though). I use packing folders to pack my clothes, so every night when we get in, I spray the dirty clothes with frebreeze, refold them using the folding guide, and put them neatly back in the packing folders in the suitcases. That way, on the last morning I am already repacked, except for toiletries, shoes, and any left over clean clothes. I also always keep a couple of nice smelling dryer sheets in my suitcases and in the packing folders to keep everything smelling nice. Repacking at the end of the trip takes only a few minutes and nothing is ever forgotten or lost.

That's really a great idea! i use the hanging bag as well - love that idea!

My wife always buys tissue paper at the dollar store before a trip. She lines all the drawers with it. We also have the folding hamper.

Just a question for the folks who are completely creeped out by the thought that there might have been someone's used clothes in the dressers ... do you ever touch other people at all?

Shaking hands is probably 100X "messier" (in terms of transferring microbes between people) than what could possibly come from secondary transfer from clothes to drawer to clothes....

I mean, unless someone was using the drawer to store unwashed, used cloth diapers :-)sick:) how "dirty" could someone's used clothes be?

Just a question for the folks who are completely creeped out by the thought that there might have been someone's used clothes in the dressers ... do you ever touch other people at all?

Shaking hands is probably 100X "messier" (in terms of transferring microbes between people) than what could possibly come from secondary transfer from clothes to drawer to clothes....

I mean, unless someone was using the drawer to store unwashed, used cloth diapers :-)sick:) how "dirty" could someone's used clothes be?

I guess it's not the microbes I'm worried about. It's the weeks worth of sweaty stinky clothes that have been allowed to "age" in the drawer for the duration of the previous occupants stay that sort of creeps me out.

We have always unpacked our clothes into the dressers in hotels, but I have heard that some people use them to hold their dirty clothes. I just can't believe that people would do that, but it makes me want to live out of my suitcase instead.

Dressers are for clothes, so yes, we use them. It is kind of gross to hear that some people use them for their dirty clothes. What the heck!? :confused3 I bring a collapsible laundry bag for our dirty clothes. We set it up when we unpack, with our quarters and laundry detergent, and all dirty clothes are housed there. The bag has handles so it is easy to transport the whole thing to the laundry rooms. We do laundry throughout the week and go home with suitcases full of clean clothes.

I've never used the dressers, but it's not for sanitary reasons, which I'd never even considered. If I put things away or spread things out, I forget about them or lose them. Period.

I flip open my big*** suitcase. Fresh clothes remain where they are, dirty socks, undies and t-shirts get unceremoniously stuff into the webbing on the upper lid. Pants and jackets get folded over chair spines, etc.

Umm, I'm sorry, yes, I do shake hands with people, however, I don't touch people's dirty underwear which is what I would imagine is also going into the drawer with their dirty laundry. Seriously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter