Do you use a pizza stone?

aboveH20

DIS Veteran
[FONT="Comic Sans] I have a bread maker and have made pizza occasionallly. I would like to do it more. I bought a pizza stone from Pampered Chef and it broke the first time I used it. That was a few years ago, and I'm not sure if I skipped a "prep before you use" step. Anyway, do you use a pizza stone? Would you say there is a big improvement with the crust if you do? Did you formerly use a pizza stone and no longer do? Bottom line, I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy another one. I'm interested in your experiences. Thanks. :thumbsup2[/FONT]

Yes, I use one. I've had it so long that I honestly can't remember what the crust was like before it.

I used to be a PCC, and we were told that a %age of stones may crack on first use if air bubbles creep in during manufacture - the expansion can make it crack. Stones are guaranteed for 3 years, and if they break you just need to send a piece back and they'll replace it.

I use stoneware all the time (as an ex-PCC I have 2 crates of well-loved pieces;)), and as well as using the pizza stones for pizzas I use them for cookies - if you do spritz cookies, and do one batch on stone and one on metal bakeware, I found the ones on stone did not spread so much and had a more even colour, whereas the ones on bakeware spread more (were flatter) and got browner round the edges. I used to take a batch of each to my shows as a demonstration.

MazdaUK - thanks for the info.

I emailed my PCC/friend after I used the stone, expecting her to offer to have it replaced, which she didn't. I think she may not have known she could do that, or was just too busy. At this point it is well past the 3 year mark. I know my sister used to use hers all the time so I think I'll reinvest in another one.

I have a pizza stone that I use - we love the way it comes out. I now use the pilsbury dough most of the time so I my rectangular stone now.

Rebecca

I used mine, but now that we've switched to homemade whole wheat dough, it is too small. I didn't know they made rectangular ones - guess I'll be hunting for one of those! Thanks :)

Funny that I just see this thread now - my rectangular PC stoneware dish is in the oven right now with fresh rolls rising on it. It is "officially" a baking dish, I think, but it is kinda the size of a jellyroll pan (15x11x1) or something like that and gets used a lot as a pizza stone.

We love it and use it for pizza, rolls, calzones, bread, etc. at least several times weekly. It is one of only three PC things we have - but love, love, love it. We use corn meal to prevent sticking and don't usually have a problem (unless cheese runs out/falls off and gets baked onto the pan - ugh)

We bake pizzas, rolls, etc. at about 450-500 and they always turn out great.

I've had no sticking probs with well-seasoned stones - cooking something with a lot of fat like cookies or pastry is good to start you off:thumbsup2. PC stones cone as a rectangle (10 x 12? or a little bigger?) and round in (I think) 3 sizes - we don't get tehm all over here

I'd love the calzone recipe too:goodvibes

I use my pizza stone for heating fried foods also makes crispier, even on left overs! I.e., chicken nuggets, fish sticks and fried chicken!!)

Arrgghhhh! I just spent about an hour typing in the recipe and directions - :headache: only to have it vanish between DIS refresh screens! Will try again, but not today! Sorry!!!

Pinball - I feel your pain. I hate to have you spend another hour typing. Can you just give general instructions? Do you make a bunch and freeze some, or make and eat?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter