Do you tip when you pick up take out food?

Depends. I worked in the restaurant business for many years, so I can usually tell whether it's a server or bartender making less than half of minimum wage or a "counter" person who is making minimum wage or more.

If it's a server or bartender, he or she likely answered the phone, took my order, turned it in, checked and prepared it while making only about $3 an hour, plus had to take time away from tipping customers to do all that. Also, my order is counted as a sale for that person, and he or she may have to claim tips based on a percentage of total sales, so he or she could potentially lose money by receiving no tip on to-go orders. So yes, I'll give a tip, but usually about 10 percent instead of 20. I take into consideration that I didn't take up a table or chair for 30 minutes to an hour and they didn't have to clean up after me, but they did, in effect, wait on me.

But if it's not a table or bar-service place and the employees are earning at least minimum wage, I usually won't leave a tip, figuring the cost of taking and preparing the order is borne by the owner, who then passes the cost on to me in the price of the food. I'll leave a couple of dollars cash if someone goes out of their way to help me (including extra sauces or answering questions, etc.).

Personally, I wish the U.S. would move to the European model where restaurant owners have to pay servers a decent hourly wage and service is included in the price. Then a tip becomes an actual bonus instead of money a restaurant worker relies on heavily to make a decent wage.

I totally agree with this. Fast food restaurants in the US have to pay the minimum wage and they can still afford to operate.

I never noticed that...but no, I don't tip at fast food places or carry out unless they carry it to my room or deliver it. If I'm at a restaurant where I'm being waited on, I do tip (more for good service).

There's a Chinese take out just a block away, the only place we take out from. A family works there, it's fast and delicious and they are very friendly. I always stuff a few bucks in the tip jar just because I like to.

There is no separate credit card machine for take out orders, so of course there is going to be a tip line if the restaurant serves food.

I used to work in a restaurant, and know that the servers/bartenders still have to claim the end of the night sales for taxes, so I do tip, although not as much as I would if I were sitting down for the meal. I usually tip 15-18% for take-out.

I tip for delivery, but not if I'm picking up the food myself. I also don't typically tip at, say, a sandwich shop (like Subway) or buffet line, but if there's a tip jar and I'm either impressed or entertained by the service I'll toss in a buck or two.

I tip just over 10% for carry-out at places like Carrabas (where a waiter takes the order), but not at my local Chinese or Sandwich shop.

Exactly!! :thumbsup2
I'm curious, do you tip the workers at Subway, Burger King, McDonalds? They too take your order, box up your food and make sure it's correct.

No, I do not tip for carry out. I do tip if I have my food delivered to my home.

I dont tip either. If they deliver it to my house, thats a different story! But for pickup/takeout. Nope. No tip.

It depends. If it's a counter service type place, I don't tip. I figure they're making at least minimum wage.

If it's a table service restaurant, I do tip for take-out. Around here, it's usually the bartender who has to prepare the orders, and they make less than minimum wage. I'll tip 10-15%, depending on service.

I leave a standard tip at any place where there is table service. Chinese, chain or hole in the wall. I don't understand why anyone would leave less than a standard tip, but that is just me.

If it is a fastfood place then no.

There is no separate credit card machine for take out orders, so of course there is going to be a tip line if the restaurant serves food.

I used to work in a restaurant, and know that the servers/bartenders still have to claim the end of the night sales for taxes, so I do tip, although not as much as I would if I were sitting down for the meal. I usually tip 15-18% for take-out.
That's so unfair IMO. I would bet that most who get carry out don't tip.

It depends. If I get curbside service at a place like Applebee's, I tip the person who brings the order to me.

If I order a pizza for delivery, I tip them, but if I order a pizza, and go pick it up, I don't tip.

If I go to a place like "Sonic", where I order from my car, and someone brings my food, I tip them.

If it's a restaurant I would tip for sitting down to eat, I tip if I get carry out. Just a few dollars for taking the order & putting it together.

I leave a standard tip at any place where there is table service. Chinese, chain or hole in the wall. I don't understand why anyone would leave less than a standard tip, but that is just me.

If it is a fastfood place then no.

Because you're not getting the table service if you take out. :confused3

No tips for counter ordering or take out here.

I have been noticing more and more, especially in service type jobs, when you pay with a credit card that there is a tip line before your total.

Picking up dinner last weekend inside a local Mexican restaurant, I paid with a CC. there was a tip line. I watched as my order was packed ( it was small ) the server had nothing to do with it. The person cooking the food placed it into the container instead of plating it, and it was placed into a bag and carried to the front to me. Am I expected to REALLY tip for that service?

At the airport a few weeks ago, I got some drinks & an apple at one of those fast to go places. Paid with a CC. There was a tip line. Same with the hudson news stand, got 2 magazines, paid with a CC & there was a TIP line?!!!

Anyway, I always thought that a restaurant server was making the standard $2.00 an hr, so they relied on the tips to make up. What I'm not understanding is a counter person at a deli, or register ring up person. Aren't they making more? Do YOU tip for those services? I find it annoying.....

The tip line is there at restaurants even for take out because they only have one standard receipt. Generally, you are not expected to tip for take out. But if you want to anyway, that is up to you. I've never run my bill up at a fast food place to the point where I actually have to sign a receipt. So I really don't know whether they would have a tip line or not. You're not expected to tip there either. Now if it is something like curbside service, or where there is a carhop, I tip. Otherwise, no for fast food and no for take out.

Depends on the type of restaurant.

At a pizza place the folks in the kitchen box up the pizza and set it in the take out area, usually on top of the oven. When you pick it up someone at the front just picks it up, turns around and sets it on the counter and rings me up. I usually do not tip for that.

At the wing place I go to, all the kitchen does is put the wings in a container. Then a bartender or server has to put it in a bag, get utensils and napkins and put them in the bag, then gather the type of sauce requested, (bleu cheese or ranch or another), gather up the celery or carrot sticks, make sure everything I ordered is together then ring me up. I DO tip them.

Because you're not getting the table service if you take out. :confused3
Because as stated before, the person who usually would be giving you table service and works for tips is now pulled from a table where she could be earning tips. She has to package your food, check it and run your order just like as if she were at a table. She will also have to have that sale counted towards her daily sales and pay taxes on that.

You absolutely should tip on take out at table service restaurant.

As far as a pizza joint, I tip even on delivery and when I come do carry out. Want to know what happens when I place an order on a night when they are slammed? I am remembered and will get my pizza ahead of quite a few orders.

I do depending on the restaurant. Mom & Pop Shops and my regular places yes! You can get perks at some places like extra punches towards a discounted meal! lol

Candleinthewind said:
Because as stated before, the person who usually would be giving you table service and works for tips is now pulled from a table where she could be earning tips. She has to package your food, check it and run your order just like as if she were at a table. She will also have to have that sale counted towards her daily sales and pay taxes on that.

You absolutely should tip on take out at table service restaurant.

As far as a pizza joint, I tip even on delivery and when I come do carry out. Want to know what happens when I place an order on a night when they are slammed? I am remembered and will get my pizza ahead of quite a few orders.

Agreed!!! Have had lots of people in my family work various positions in the restaurant industry (server, cook, general manager, etc) and this is exactly how it works most places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter