Do you tip the Magical Express driver?

Utfootballdiva

Earning My Ears
In another thread someone mentioned setting aside cash for tipping and among her list was DME driver. Is this the norm? How much?

Thanks!

No, it is not normal. Disney takes care of the tip for you. I believe some people save a little for a driver if they handle your luggage or in some way impress you or go out of their way to help you. Tip or gratuity is defined as an extra amount of money for extra services, no more or no less.

Tips are appreciated especially if the driver handles baggage for you namely putting it under the bus.

A dollar or two per bag is about right and a dollar or two for the ride itself is not farfetched.

Disney hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

The one and only part of Magical Express where no tip from you is expected is when yellow tagged baggage is delivered to your room, since you are not expected to be there.

No, it is not normal. Disney takes care of the tip for you.
Edd, you've fallen into the same misinformed pitfall as many Disney guests. Disney takes care of the tip for the in-bound bellman services (for the lugagge that is part of the automatic DME delivery, not for any bags brought to the bus by the guest); it's an actual payment based upon each DME bag delivery to a room, not any sort of overall bump in pay.

Disney does not give any sort of tip or extra payment to DME drivers. They are paid an hourly wage by their employer, Mears, but are not tipped in any way by Disney or Mears. It is just untrue that Disney "takes care of the tip" for DME drivers. Please ask them some time and they will fill you in, in case you think I'm just spreading nonsense.

I totally agree with your outlook on tips overall. I totally agree that a service provider is not automatically entitled to a tip, that a tip is for exceptional service. I once tipped a craps dealer even though I had no money on the table. He was just so damned entertaining (while my friend played) that I wanted to show my appreciation.

Cleve,

You are right. I made a mistake.

He could be fired for that as Mears doesn't allow it.

If they handle my bags I will tip. If I just have a carryone then I will not tip.

Actually, every DME motorcoach I've ridden the last couple of years has had an official sign in the front of motorcoach with the message, "Gratuities accepted for exceptional service," or something along those lines.

I've never had bags in the luggage hold, so I've never tipped the driver for handling our bags (although I would do so if I had bags in hold).

A couple of times, I tipped the driver for exceptionally pleasant service. Most times, I did not tip at all.

If a driver is simply driving a few dozen passengers and makes a few announcements, I see no reason to tip. If a driver makes the ride into an exceptionally pleasant beginning or end to a WDW vacation, I don't mind tipping.

When I brought our luggage to DME - yes I tipped the driver.
He unloaded my luggage and found me a luggage cart at the hotel.

If someone handles my luggage, then I tip $1 or $2 per bag. :thumbsup2

When you get on the bus, you'll see a big sign near the drivers head that tips are welcome and appreaciated. We tipped the driver $2 each way. He did not handle any luggage for us. I noticed hardly anyone else tipped him.

I find it so amusing that so many disers make such a big deal out of tipping housekeeping (not a tipped position), but stiff the DME driver(is a tipped position). :confused3

When you get on the bus, you'll see a big sign near the drivers head that tips are welcome and appreaciated. We tipped the driver $2 each way. He did not handle any luggage for us. I noticed hardly anyone else tipped him.

I find it so amusing that so many disers make such a big deal out of tipping housekeeping (not a tipped position), but stiff the DME driver(is a tipped position). :confused3

Well we always tip the drivers. My dh not only tips but tips everyone.:cool1: I did not think that the drivers held a tipped position. :confused3

Hmmmmm. Our last DME driver (last Sept.) actually had a sign up next to him at the front of the bus soliciting tips!

Ours did too. I thought that made the bus ride feel more like I was a tourist than a guest on Disney's transportation system. I have to say though, he was very entertaining, personable and a courteous and a safe driver. We had a great time on our way to the airport.

I did tip him for handling our bags and would have even if the sign hadn't been posted.

NO EDD, AGAIN you are grossly misinformed. We are most certainly allowed to display a Name Plate and a SIGN which SAYS "GRATUITIES PERMITTED FOR EXCEPTIONAL GUEST SERVICE"

Your "QUOTE" would make it appear WE are posting these signs against company policy. NOT TRUE. They are approved by DISNEY as well.

You need to stop acting like you know MEARS policies and procedures.

Furthermore, WE are not compensated for luggage handling, it is assumed that folks are using their yellow tags, or using the RESORT LUGGAGE CHECKIN upon departure. DISNEY conveniently forgets to advise those folks that bring luggage to the bus, or don't or can't use the resort check in service, to consider following the "CUSTOMARY TIPPING GUIDLINES" for those that handle luggage. Those that choose to bring their luggage to the bus, inbound or outbound, should consider showing their appreciation provided other parts of the service met their approval as well.

Once more you demonstrate your continued bias and desire to misinform people to the detriment of the DME Drivers. I would really like to see you stop this and just post "true and helpful" information. And, if you don't REALLY know the answer, just be QUIET and let someone who does take care of it.

In Feb. my ME driver was so entertaining, he had us in stitches ! You better believe he got a tip from me and most others did too! He didn't ask but he sure deserved it!!

In Feb. my ME driver was so entertaining, he had us in stitches ! You better believe he got a tip from me and most others did too! He didn't ask but he sure deserved it!!

I'm Glad to hear you had a fun ride and the driver was entertaining....TY

When I took DME two days ago, I tipped the driver when he retrieved my bags from under the bus. He seemed quite happy about it.

I generally tend to be very cheap when I travel -- I drink almost nothing but tap water in the parks, for example. In fact, I often spend as little as $10 a day on food during Disney trips, not counting groceries that I buy in Orlando. (I order from WeGoShop if I don't have a car.) But, I always budget money for tips. I tip whenever someone handles my bags, and I tip housekeeping. I figure that I'm very fortunate to be able to go to Disneyworld when many hard-working people can't afford to go anywhere. The $20 or so per trip that I spend on tips for housekeeping and bell services is really small compared to the other expenses of the trip.

I always have a carry on and always tip the driver. My then 15 year old son noticed that people had all their luggage with them and didn't even tip the driver.

I'm glad that they post the signs about tipping. I do worry that I am going to tip someone and offend them - not that I would have a question in this instance, but often in others.

NO EDD, AGAIN you are grossly misinformed. We are most certainly allowed to display a Name Plate and a SIGN which SAYS "GRATUITIES PERMITTED FOR EXCEPTIONAL GUEST SERVICE"

Your "QUOTE" would make it appear WE are posting these signs against company policy. NOT TRUE. They are approved by DISNEY as well.DISNEY conveniently forgets to advise those folks that bring luggage to the bus, or don't or can't use the resort check in service, to consider following the "CUSTOMARY TIPPING GUIDLINES" for those that handle luggage.

I travel to WDW several times a year and have been using the DME service since the first week it started (yes I was one of the first guinea pigs to use the service:rotfl: ). I've always been pleased with DME and have tipped the driver every time I've used it, even if I didn't have luggage under the bus (well except the very first time and that was because I honestly thought Disney took care of the tip:confused: ). I did have a weird experience once though. December '06 as we were leaving MCO the driver made a comment that alot of people thought Disney paid the tips, but he 'just wanted to inform us that was not true and tips would be appreciated'. OK, fine, a little pushy, but fine. The problem was when we got to the resort, he turned, kept the doors closed, and again reminded us that tips were not paid by Disney and would be appreciated, then he grinned at us. Everybody got really quiet. It was eery. The man across from me, looked at me, and whispered, "What's he going to do, keep us hostage here?". After a moment the driver then opened the doors and got down to get the luggage. There were quite a few people mumbling about his strange behavior and feeling like hostages. It was just weird, had never happened before, and hasn't happened since. By the way, other than telling us about the tip, that driver didn't say a word all the way from MCO to the resort. He was just plain strange!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter