• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you tip the Directv installer?

Did I tip the guys who came four hours late, put a hole in my roof, and threw the old dish into my neighbors's pool? No freaking way.

They were actually so horrendous that we received a $250 credit on our bill.

Our DirecTV installer was here at 8AM on Labor Day and got the job done quickly and cleanly. Normally, I am not a tipper in a situation like this, but he was a great installer out working on a holiday (probably getting holiday pay, I suppose), and I wanted to show my appreciation.

Just because a job might be dangerous does not mean the person should be tipped. My Dh worked in manholes for years, in the middle of traffic in NYC, he did not expect anyone to tip him. :confused3

Wow, I am really disgusted by some of the attitudes in this thread.

I usually just lurk around the forum reading posts, but I was so upset by this post and thread that I had to register. Do you have ANY idea how much of that $500 estimated labor goes to the actual installer? ANY idea? Probably about $45.

Yes, about $45 for standing on roof tops for 2-3 hours and installing heavy satellites, incurring a real risk of falling and KILLING themselves. Standing on roof tops on hot scorching days and blistery cold days.

I'm having DirecTV installed at my new house right now. It's a blizzard outside right now and the installer is on the roof right now, trying to shield his face from the wind and snow. I asked him if he was allowed to call it a day and come back tomorrow. His response was "Not if I want to keep my job".

These companies don't care whether their workers get injured. As long as the job is done. Earth to everyone:

• These guys are NOT mailmen just walking the street. Mailmen don't stand on roof tops in blizzards.
  • These guys are NOT bellhops just carrying luggage to a room. Bellhops don't get paid half crap for a job that could very well injure them permanently or kill them.
  • These guys are NOT barbers just cutting hair in a warm and cozy salon with a TV.

For the love of all that is good just stop comparing these people to other jobs that do not equate in any way, shape, or form. Do you want to know how real the danger is in this field? Read this article:

I sure hope the home owner didn't tip him. Eh, why tip the guy for just "doing his job".

Then I assume you must tip the construction workers and laborers who build your home too, right? After all it's a dangerous job, it's not just sitting in a cozy salon or "just walking the street"? I can't tell you how many injuries my Dad received as a carpenter or helped with on the job site. How many walls have fallen and crushed someone while the home was being built.

Do you tip the police or firemen too? Their jobs are by no means easy or safe either. I don't get your logic that skilled labor job that requires heights/ladders = tip.

I tip in situations where the employee is likely to make less than minimum wage..pizza delivery, waitress, newspaper delivery or in situations like a hairdresser but I would not tip the cable installer or the plumber as those are skilled labor type jobs that often make decent wages.

Yes, of course. And we also let them know that the fridge in the garage is full of drinks and to help themselves.

Coconut36

Thanks for following the rule because I couldn't figure out WHY this thread got pulled up. But I see who did it now - that poster/all their posts seems to have poofed or something?

Coconut36

Thanks for following the rule because I couldn't figure out WHY this thread got pulled up. But I see who did it now - that poster/all their posts seems to have poofed or something?

They were a bit nasty on another thread, so I guess they got spanked & their posts went away.

Absolutely. Here in NYC/CT you tip pretty much everybody for pretty much everything.

They were a bit nasty on another thread, so I guess they got spanked & their posts went away.

Yeah, I saw another post earlier on another thread. I think it is a troll trying to stir up trouble. My guess is they are doing the deleting, I am new here, but most boards don't like you to delete posts. Very hard to follow the thread with holes. They normally will band the user instead.

Yeah, I saw another post earlier on another thread. I think it is a troll trying to stir up trouble. My guess is they are doing the deleting, I am new here, but most boards don't like you to delete posts. Very hard to follow the thread with holes. They normally will band the user instead.

No you can't actually delete your own post on the DIS. Only mods can do that -- and they do for those who get out of line, get points assessed, get banned.

No you can't actually delete your own post on the DIS. Only mods can do that -- and they do for those who get out of line, get points assessed, get banned.

Ah okay! Thanks for let me know! That is actually better, I once had a post deleted on another board with a well place kick by my yds when he was babe in arms :rotfl:

Ok to be honest I'm a technician for d-tv for a while now. Now I'm not here to cry about how little we get paid, but we get paid just enough to get the TVs on. Its fairly simple. U want something done right. U pay for it. Again tip is not necessary but it in your best interest too do so. Like I said of coarse we get paid to do a job. The same price whether we there for an hour or 5 hrs. But you get what you pay for. Tipping makes your life easy. Smarten up people. I've never said this out loud but don't tip me. And no ones happy. Especially you the customer. Everything could be so easy.
Oh and I use every customers bath room.

Ok to be honest I'm a technician for d-tv for a while now. Now I'm not here to cry about how little we get paid, but we get paid just enough to get the TVs on. Its fairly simple. U want something done right. U pay for it. Again tip is not necessary but it in your best interest too do so. Like I said of coarse we get paid to do a job. The same price whether we there for an hour or 5 hrs. But you get what you pay for. Tipping makes your life easy. Smarten up people. I've never said this out loud but don't tip me. And no ones happy. Especially you the customer. Everything could be so easy.

this really makes me glad we ditched D-tv a couple years ago....

This thread must keep popping up on google searches, because it's really old. And the posters bumping it up have a few posts and interesting user names.

Those technicians are protected by a union, get their health benefits paid for, or at least a high percentage paid for, by their employer, they make a very high hourly wage and usually get tons of overtime. No, I don't tip them.

Certain professions are traditionally "tipped" professions, and certain others are not. Installers and repair people have never been in that first category.

Then I assume you must tip the construction workers and laborers who build your home too, right? After all it's a dangerous job, it's not just sitting in a cozy salon or "just walking the street"? I can't tell you how many injuries my Dad received as a carpenter or helped with on the job site. How many walls have fallen and crushed someone while the home was being built.

Do you tip the police or firemen too? Their jobs are by no means easy or safe either. I don't get your logic that skilled labor job that requires heights/ladders = tip.

I tip in situations where the employee is likely to make less than minimum wage..pizza delivery, waitress, newspaper delivery or in situations like a hairdresser but I would not tip the cable installer or the plumber as those are skilled labor type jobs that often make decent wages.

I'd love for police, fire, EMS to be tipped. DH does all of them. :thumbsup2. If he was tipped for just the calls in bad weather, middle of the night, working on someone high and combative, etc. he would do very well.

We usually tip servers, bell services, and occasionally massage therapists. I tip the hairdresser in December. DD was tipped well as a barista, which surprised me even. When she started working at the coffee shop, there was already a tip jar there. The manager said some people started asking if they accepted tips so she put the jar out. Not everyone tipped, and it was not expected, but DD sure was excited when she received them. We used to think it was interesting that the worst tippers were the wealthier people who went into the shop. The best tippers were others who provided services, such as the spa employees down the block or the tattoo artists who came in daily just before opening their shop for their caffeine and pastries.

But, tipping is out of hand. It seems we are constantly told we need to tip someone. I have never considered tipping a person who installs anything, plumber, roofer, or even the appliance delivery person.

Since a tip is customarily given *after* a service is performed, what do you do when a customer gives you a tip? Do you turn to them and say, "Oh wait, I didn't realize you were going to tip me. I did a really crappy job. Let me go and do the job better for you now that I've received a tip"? Don't tell me people are shoving money in your hand BEFORE you even begin a job. Oh, and I notice you have one post. Yeah.

How much does it take to get proper grammar and spelling?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter