• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you tip Mousekeeping?

Do you tip Mousekeeping?

• Yes

• No

• Sometimes

Results are only viewable after voting.
On our last trip I didn't have any small bills so I left a note to the mousekeeper asking her what days she'd be there so I could leave her a tip on her last day cleaning our room.
She left me a note leting me know what days she'd be there. Every day she was there she did a wonderful job. The room was always clean and she refilled anything that we had used from the room.
On the other days I left a tip for the other MK but she did not do as good of a job. :confused3

This next trip I am going to make up envelopes and have the tips in them for each day. That is, if we have a good MK. :rolleyes:

Why do I not tip? Because I already paid for clean towels and sheets when I paid for my room. :)

Sometimes. I am also under the mindset that since it is not a tipped position that it isn't really necessary for me to (unlike at restaurants and valet or bell services for example). But if I feel like I have been unusually messy, then I will leave a dollar or two on the pillow for those that make up the room. I enjoy these tipping threads since they can become very entertaining before they are closed. Everyone really must decide for themselves when it comes to tipping.

For me tipping mousekeeping is kind of like tipping the sales clerk at the World of Disney store. They both aren't classified as tipped positions so they make above minimum wage (not saying they make a lot, just that its above what a normal tipped position makes in hourly wages). So for those that tip mousekeeping regularly, do you also tip the retail clerk too? Just curious.

We tried!! We left the cash on the table with a note saying that it was for them and thank you. Some days it was gone, some days it was still there?!

We always tip everyday of the trip...I truly appreciate our mousekeepers! I dont care if it is a tipped position or not, they do alot of work for a small salary!

I always tip. I do consider it a tipped position. And yes I know Disney's stance is that its not as is the rest of the thoughtful set who makes up the rules and regs of the hospitality industry. But my policy is that housekeepers are a tipped position. I don't get irritated at people who don't but for me personally, not tipping is just not an option. I tip every morning, knowing I have no idea if I will get stellar service or lousy service. I have gotten both, almost always stellar service. I just figure if I tip $5 and don't get a towel animal, I'll probably live.

And no I do not tip a retail clerk. If she cleaned my toilet, changed my sheets and vacumed up my messy kids' cracker crumbs I would. She rings my sale up, hands it to me and I am gone. I guess I feel more of a personal relationship to a housekeeper.

I see both sides, and see that both sides of the argument are valid.

Yeap,we Tip Eaveryday And Have Always Gotten Some Kind Of Washcloth Animal ...every Time!!!

Ditto here! Love getting towel animals! We tip because we appreciate Mousekeeping's hard work and the towel animals are a nice little bonus! :goodvibes

we left a generous tip. Honestly, I didn't want my mugs washed out with the towel they used in the toilet.... ha ha. No, seriously, I think they work very hard. Plus, the housekeeper who was unlucky enough to get our room on the last day deserved every cent of his/her tip. Our daughter got sick all over the bedspread 5 minutes before we had to catch the Magical Express to the airport. (I was the idiot mother who gave her a potato off my plate which also had eggs on it, I guess her egg allergy is way worse than I thought....:scared: ) We pulled the bedspread off the bed, but hadn't the time to warn the staff, you know... having to bathe and change an 18 month old in 5 minutes and run with luggage to the bus! By the way, they won't hold that bus for even 5 minutes.... I called the front desk to ask!;)

we tip $1.00 a person a day
I think the majority of people who go to Disney are nice and polite and then there are those who... well we've all run into those people..
we like to thank the mousekeepers for making our visits nice.
we also do up bags of hard candy and leave them for mousekeeping.
but then again we hand out mints to CM' s who check us in and answer questions or are helpful and friendly.
yeah it's their job BUT I think we all enjoy being told thank you or you did a good job or told we're appreciated so why not appreciate the Mousekeepers too?

We tipped the last two trips to the world. Actually I never heard of tipping for housekeeping till I found out on these boards. Last time I tipped I got great service but no animals, but the time before service wasn't so good.

I tipped on our last visit but only on the last day. Why? Well, we always put the Do Not Disturb thing in the door so all MK did was leave a bag of clean towels. I figured I was perfectly capable of making the beds each day and then I didn't have to worry about anyone else in my room. I had a watch stolen once that was a gift from my grandparents so I am forever leary-Disney or not. It was nice that they left the towels for us. JMO.

We always tip housekeeping, $5/day regardless on how many people are in the room. When at hotels, we do not mess up the room just because we are on vacation, so it takes housekeeping 10 minutes maximum to clean our room and leave new towels and toiletries. :)

For me tipping mousekeeping is kind of like tipping the sales clerk at the World of Disney store. They both aren't classified as tipped positions so they make above minimum wage (not saying they make a lot, just that its above what a normal tipped position makes in hourly wages). So for those that tip mousekeeping regularly, do you also tip the retail clerk too? Just curious.

That is such a good point. The sales clerks work all day long too, and many times do just as much work for me as the Mousekeeper does...and no, I don't tip them!

Nope. Why? Because they're non-tipped employees.

The positions are classified when offered through Casting. At the hotels, bell staff, valets and restaurant servers are tipped positions. The rest (including housekeeping) are not.

All workers providing a personal service for which they are paid a menial wage should be tipped, in all walks of life (not just Disney). Barber, waiters, taxi driver, limo driver, room service delivery, maid/hotel cleaning staff, paper boy, pizza delivery guy...etc, etc, etc.
To not tip, especially due to some technical rule, is cheap and downright unconscionable.

I'm sorry, redc, but you're mistaken. You are welcome to tip, if you wish (although technically the employee is supposed to decline the tip) but your scurrilous accusations regarding not tipping non-tipped employees are incorrect, and unnecessarily inflammatory. Tipping valets, bell staff and restaurant servers at Disney hotels is discretionary. Tipping anyone else is strictly up to you, and totally without obligation whatsoever, legal or moral.

I left an envelope with a few dollars everyday with a short thank you note on the outside. One of our housekeepers (who was going off shift) left us a note thanking us for appreciating her! Also got picked by housekeeping to given a POP century souvenier rubik's cubes. Between the cubes and the towel animals, the kids were super impressed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter