Do you think we will like OKW?

floridafam

DIS Veteran
Traveling to WDW in October. Booked at OKW.

We always stay at VB and that is "hotel" like so we can't really compare OKW to VB even though they are both DVC properties.

Kids are 4 and 6.

Do you think we will like OKW? Our kids like the "hotel" experience where everything is pretty close.

I know OKW is not meant to be like that. I booked because we thought it would be laid back and quiet.

We made the mistake of staying concierge our last 2 times in Orlando and got spoiled.

I'm a little worried we won't be near the Hospitality House. How much will this make or break our trip?

If we love VB do you think we will find any similar things to love at OKW?

Sorry for going on and on but I'm just curious what you think. Would we be better off over at the Boardwalk. It looks like the majority of our time will be spent either relaxing or over at the Boardwalk. Only doing MK during MNSSHP and AK on another day.

I'd like to hear your opinions.

Do you think we will like OKW? Our kids like the "hotel" experience where everything is pretty close.

Could be a problem, but I don't have kids. You're more in a condo complex than hotel.

I'm a little worried we won't be near the Hospitality House. How much will this make or break our trip?

I don't think so. Everytime we stay at OKW it hasn't had a impact on us

Other things I would do:
Rent a car
take the boat to DTD, parking there can be a pain
Watch out for golf balls.. I almost got hit once;)

Joe in CT

We will have a car.

MIL will also have a car.

Let's say we get put in the furthest building from the Hospitality House. What is the longest walk we are looking at?

At WL, etc. we just run down to the store or restaurant, etc. if we need something. I know we will have the fridge, etc. I think I'm just a little nervous about this being a different type of vacation.

I am not planning on doing any major cooking and we will probably be at Olivia's quite frequently. I am looking forward to sitting out on the porch and enjoying the room etc.

It is a bit of a walk from the furthest buildings to the HH, but there are busses that you can catch.

As far as the pool goes, keep in mind that there are 4 pools at OKW located around the property, so no one is really very far from a pool. Granted, the main pool at the HH has the most themeing, but even then it's really just a larger version of the other pools.

We really enjoy staying at OKW as well as Vero - each location has its appeal and charm.

We love OKW. When we stay there, we're normally fairly far from the main pool, so we just drive over. Or we walk to the closest pool to us. There's pretty much a pool within walking distance all the time. What size room are you in? The patios in the one bedrooms and larger are the best DVC offers. You'll like being out there.

October should be nice there, weather-wise.

Don't forget to check out the activities they have for the kids, too. You'll get a sheet with all of them listed at checkin time. Your kids sound like the perfect age for them. In that regard, I think it's like VB, another place we go pretty much every year. OKW is more tropical feeling than VB to me.

I'm assuming you are staying in a one-bedroom or larger. In that case, I'm 99.9% sure you will have a fabulous time. If you are in a studio, I'm 98.9% sure! ;)

I've never understood a real passion for being near HH. I don't think you really need to be "right there". There are pools all around the resort and the Turtle Pond pool has lot of amentities including a snack bar and mixed drinks.

The furthest walk would be roughly 15 minutes. Most walks are less than 10. You can hop on just about any bus and it will take you to HH before it exits for a park destination. Double-check with the driver to be sure nothing has changed. On the way back, you can get a bus at Peninsular Road (the back of the pool area and across the road) that will take you to South Point or Old Turtle Pond. I've always found the walks fun. There's so much to soak in and enjoy at OKW.

Stock your fridge/kitchen with all the treats you really love. Favorite wine, some cheese and crackers, Ben & Jerry ice cream, etc. and you'll have any concierge set-up beat by a mile when you sit out on your balcony and watch the world go by. :)

I agree with the above posts and we have been members at OKW since 1994 when our son was 4. He loves the resort. There are activites for all ages at the community hall including crafts, etc. All the pools are relaxing and the main pool has a great sand castle area. I don't think you can have a bad time there. DS is now 12 and still enjoys the resort.
Connears

We stayed there with a 4 year old and he loved it (so did his 14 month old brother). We were near the HH and found it to be very convenient, but by no means essential. Realistically, even if you swim every day, you will likely want to try pools all over OKW (and possibly hop to other resorts). The biggest reason to be near HH is if you are planning on doing lots of activities at the community hall.

I wouldn't worry about where you end up, but I would suggest noting a preference for "Near HH" we were in building 13....we thought it was great.

Have a wonderfully magical trip! :)

Boy this is a tough one because you want the best of both worlds! For laid back and quiet you can't beat OKW. This resort is the most quiet and laid back that you will find at WDW.
But if your family likes the hotel atmosphere and being close to everything, no resort could be more opposite than OKW. Also if you like conceirge service, OKW is not a good match. OKW does not offer all the amenities that the other deluxe resorts do, let alone have conceirge service.
The ages of your children will have pros and cons at both OKW and the other WDW DVC resorts. At OKW there is plenty of space for little ones to run off some energy. OKW provides a very quiet, relaxing break from the hectic pace of the parks. OKW has the nicest kitchens, in the 1 BR and larger units, for snacks and drinks or even meals, if you are someone that cooks on vacation. The possible cons of having little ones at OKW is the sole form of Disney tranport from this resort, other than a boat to DTD, is bus service. If you do not have a car and rely on Disney transportation, hauling a stroller and tired little kids on and off buses can get old real fast. The other DVC resorts have views/easy access to evening activities right at the resort like MK fireworks viewing and Electirlcal Water Parade viewing at VWL and Illuminiations and Fantasmic viewing, and the boardwalk with all it's entertainment at the DVC Epcot resorts.
Being close to the HH will not make or break your trip but with young kids it can make life much easier. You will be a short walk away from a store, the main pool, the snack bar, the restaurant, the playground, and it is a very convenient location if you are relying on bus transportation. Catch the bus at the HH house and then get off the bus at the first stop on your trip home. The walk from the Pennisula stop to the villas in the HH location is a very short walk and the park buses usually make the HH the last stop before heading off to the parks. The HH area is also the location of the marina to get the boat to DTD.
Good luck with your trip planning and have a wonderful, magical trip!!

HH is at the most 10 minute walk away from everything - so nothing is far.

If you are not renting a car, or didn't drive - then make sure you get a grocery stop on the way from the airport. then get what you will need to made your vacation as wonderful as you like. You don't need concierge if you have a full refreigerator.

You will love the balcony!!!

OKW balconies are similiar to VB - they are definitely big even to eat on. (comparing 1-bedrooms). the only thing I don't like about OKW is no slide (so kids are all over the place instead of at one pool) and no room service:mad: . but otherwise it is a great and wonderful place.

Do your children like animals - OKW has a large wildlife.

I think the view is more important than being close to HH. the views are golf, water and woods - you can also request to be near the bus stop or pool. I happen to love a water view - OKW has some really great water views!

I enjoyed my stay at OKW. I went in May and had an excellent view of the golf course. I think you will like it the rooms are much larger and the condos give you a more secluded feeling

Forgot - VB has a VCR in all the rooms - studio and inns - OKW has only one VCR in the livingroom in their 1-bedroom and up.

Building #55 is the just about the farthest one from Hospitality House area, and it is our favorite. We love the quiet "boondocks" end of the resort. My kids are 8 and 4 and they love OKW. There are plants and critters. We rent the bicycles for 4 and take the free boat rides. There are also boats for rent.

We always have our minivan so if we want to get somewhere fast, we just hop in the van. The parking is right there and you can zip down to the main area in less time than it would take you to walk from the Villas at Beach Club, down to Stormalong Bay. OKW is close to Typhoon Lagoon and Downtown Disney. Also close to the off-property shopping and eating that is so economical for families -- Winn Dixie, Perkins, Pizzeria Uno and Olive Garden.

Lots to love here -- have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter