• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you think this firing was justified?

The company can also be fined and lose their liquor license as well. I managed a store and cashier did not card the person, well the cashier did not get fired but I had to go to court and explain it. The only good that came out of it was the person they had used had a bad receding hair for being under age. They threw the case out. But the cashier learned a valuable lesson.

I think this is the key, employment law would be secondary to an employee that could be potentially doing something that is a violation of state law, and could get the liquor license suspended.

How exactly do you know that this is a first offense?

It may have happened as the employee said, but if I was wagering in Vegas I would bet on some missing facts in this story.

Well, you would have probably lost that bet. She worked there for over 10 years and always got great reviews. The fact that her manager tried his best to fight for her speaks volumes. Had this not been her first offense I doubt he would have done that.

Well, you would have probably lost that bet. She worked there for over 10 years and always got great reviews. The fact that her manager tried his best to fight for her speaks volumes. Had this not been her first offense I doubt he would have done that.

Perhaps. But you only know what has been told to you. I find that when things happen to people they may not always be entirely truthful, but at the very least they always tell the story from their point of view.

Look, you asked whether the firing was fair. I don't know. You really don't either. My guess is that there is likely a bit more to the story than was revealed to you. Maybe this was not her first offense. Maybe there was a secret shopper there who is in her twenties. Yes, I am speculating but so is everyone here who wants to believe that there is some corporate conspiracy.

Recently my dad was carded in a restaurant. He is 70 years old. Their policy is to card everyone and the waitress did. We all thought it was hilarious.

Ridiculous!! A server depends on their tips in part, by not annoying the customer. Sure card anyone who looks under 30. But as a 48 yr old, it would just be annoying. Not cute or fun, cause I know full well no one would mistake me for under 21.

There has to be more to it then just that. If she has a perfect record with the restaurant then I would get a lawyer. Nobody can guess everyone's age within 3 years. I would definitely fight this one even if just for unemployment.

It is annoying when they card people who are 70.

If this story is legit about server having spotless record then this is why I could not be a secret shopper. I would Not be able to sleep at night knowing I got someone fired for something so meaningless.

When I bartendered the police would send in cadets or people underage to try and see if we were carding. Now that I can see getting fired for that since there actually under 21

It is annoying when they card people who are 70.

If this story is legit about server having spotless record then this is why I could not be a secret shopper. I would Not be able to sleep at night knowing I got someone fired for something so meaningless.

When I bartendered the police would send in cadets or people underage to try and see if we were carding. Now that I can see getting fired for that since there actually under 21

I got carded for the first time in my life a few years ago, and I was over 50 and had a beard full of grey hair. Just was the policy of bar. I was kitchen manage for my fraternity in college, and I routinely bought beer and wine for the house before I was 21.

And don't just ask for the card. Look at it. Check the date of birth. Do the math.

When I was 19 years old I was hired for a one day special project by a family friend who was the regional manager of a chain of gas station convenience stores. She had arranged to have employees who were suspected of stealing to be working the same shift at various stores at the same time.

We drove around and at each store I was sent in to buy beer. If the employee asked for my id I was told to show my real driver's license. Most didn't card. One did and still sold to me. :confused3

As instructed, I stopped short of the door and set the six pack down before leaving the store. The regional manager would then enter and fire the employee on the spot. We'd wait around a few minutes until that store's manager arrived and then be on our way to the next store.

Firing these suspect employees in this way ensured the company could fire them for cause. Easier than trying to prove they were stealing.

We also checked a few other locations where employees who were not under suspicion did card me for cigarette or beer purchases and reacted appropriately. The regional manager would then pop in, have a few words to remind the employee that this is exactly how the state runs their enforcement checks (minus the firing) and congratulate them on doing their job correctly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter