Do you think rain affects crowds?

bethwc101

DIS Veteran
We weren't planning on doing Disneyland, but I curiously checked the weather forecast for Disneyland for the weekend, and it looks like rain. Normally I would say, let's do it, because in the past the parks are emptier because of rain. But i feel like old rules about crowds don't apply anymore. Like visit in Feb., etc.
Recently have you seen rain affect the crowds like it used to? i remember when on rainy days the park would be nearly empty.

I will be interested to hear as it does look like Saturday might see a few showers and we plan to be in the parks that day - we've been when it rained before and it was less crowded but not empty by any stretch. I read somewhere that if it rains earlier in the day it's more likely to impact crowds as people wake up, look out and say 'screw that' vs when it rains later in the day and people are already there and stay and make the best of it - but I do agree - it might be just as crowded as people head there hoping to take advantage of an empty park.

Locals might skip a trip to the parks if it rains. But those who have come to Anaheim for their trip are likely to still visit unless it is heavy downpours.

Last edited:
thats an interesting thought, and i as well will be curious to know....It rains so rarely in SoCal that i wonder if it would actually depress turnout....When we were there in February 2 years ago, it rained, but not until the night, so it was tough to tell

I have noticed that rain has affected crowds less and less over the years.

Unexpected rain can still clear the park - people are wet and miserable and leave. And real, extended downpours keep people away (like last winter when we’d have several days of rain at a time - that made a difference for sure). But predicted, light or intermittent rain doesn’t make the impact that it once did. And since stuff closes due to the rain, it pushes the remaining people into less attractions, so even if walkways are emptier, ride waits don’t always reflect that.

I actually know quite a few people (myself included!) who make a point of going when it rains... so I think the “locals staying away” isn’t as prevalent as it used to be.

I have to say though as much as we really like to have nice, sunny warm days when we visit during our winter, as we often come from temperatures around zero Fahrenheit, knowing how much California needs more rain I certainly will not complain!!

I think it depends on how much rain. I have been to the parks in light rain and it hasn't affected crowds but all day heavy rain definitely clears things out. On the flip side I have gone on a few 100+ degree days and the crowds were decidedly light. We rode the AC rides over and over as walk ons.

As a local, I can vouch for the "screw that" mentality. We do that. If we planned a weekend visit and rain is CERTAIN, we don't go. If it's spotty, intermittent, "maybe" rain, we usually still go.

The kind of rain being predicted for Friday has made me say "screw that" to my plan to go for the first day of F&W festival. It will be cold and there will be heavy rain most of the day. I'm staying warm and dry at home thank you very much!

When I was there on a trip about 2-3 years ago with extended family (7 of us in total), we had one day of pretty decent rain (I wouldn't call it torrential, but definitely steady), and I'd say it had an effect. Everyone in our group except my Mom and I went back to the hotel after an hour or two, and we found it much easier to walk around and got on more rides than any other day that trip! We were there mid-November if I remember correctly, if that makes a difference, and they had predicted the rain probably a week out. I was wearing lots of layers, two rain coats (one of which had a hood), rain paints, and gore-tex sneakers, and I was perfectly dry, warm, and happy as a clam! But if I wasn't prepared for the rain I definitely would have been one of those miserable people who gave up and went back to the hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter