Do you "talk" to the characters?

We met a lot of characters - about 80+ during our past 2 trips and I wish I knew more then about what to say... but often we didn't have to say anything! And when we did, it was amazing how the characters used a lot of gestures to communicate -- most of the time, I wasn't even thinking about them not talking.

At the Halloween party, DW and I were dressed as pirates but DS4 was only in part of his costume. We were meeting Lady Tremaine, Anastasia and Drizella. The step sisters asked DS where his costume was? And they gave him quiet a stir about not wanting to be a pirate.... repeatedly whining, "I don't want to be a pirate!". I could tell they were watching DS laughing so they knew it was OK to tease.

The first characters we ever met were Chip and Dale just before we went into the park under the train station. Chip signed the autograph book after Dale and wrote "Stinks!" with an arrow to Dale's name and showed him. They made a quite a fuss!

My son, for whatever reasons, didn't want his photo with the power rangers. So Mom and I did, and each ranger posed us in the same fighting stance as the ranger for the photo.

Donald Duck wrote #1 by his name on the autograph book and scratched out a picture of Mickey Mouse in the border of that page.

It's always fun to watch Pluto hold the book on his nose when signing and Goofy to sign it behind his head.

Here's another thread with lots of good ideas about what to say to the characters!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=657318

33 (going on 34) year old character lover here!!!
I was so excited to go to Ohana last fall to see all my faves! Stitch was great with both my DBF and I. And Mickey gave the rockin' out pose with DBF. But Pluto was the BEST! He came over and gave me a hug and I playfully started scratching his belly. He loved that! Stomping his foot on the ground, "licking" my head. DBF got some great pics when he wasn't laughing :lmao:
I always try to work with the characters if I can.

My wife and I were at Disneyland around 10 years ago, before we had kids. We were getting our picture made with Donald Duck, being friendly, when he says (in a young guy's voice), "Man, it is so hot in here!" :eek:

It was a hot day, I'll give him that. He could have at least tried his best Donald Duck impression! But we really haven't had a desire to go back to Disneyland since that.

Hopefully it's improved there, but there were a few examples where things just weren't "magical." Now I know why Walt wanted to try again in Florida--luckily, he got it right!

Aamzing thread!

We met a lot of characters - about 80+ during our past 2 trips and I wish I knew more then about what to say... but often we didn't have to say anything! And when we did, it was amazing how the characters used a lot of gestures to communicate -- most of the time, I wasn't even thinking about them not talking.

At the Halloween party, DW and I were dressed as pirates but DS4 was only in part of his costume. We were meeting Lady Tremaine, Anastasia and Drizella. The step sisters asked DS where his costume was? And they gave him quiet a stir about not wanting to be a pirate.... repeatedly whining, "I don't want to be a pirate!". I could tell they were watching DS laughing so they knew it was OK to tease.

The first characters we ever met were Chip and Dale just before we went into the park under the train station. Chip signed the autograph book after Dale and wrote "Stinks!" with an arrow to Dale's name and showed him. They made a quite a fuss!

My son, for whatever reasons, didn't want his photo with the power rangers. So Mom and I did, and each ranger posed us in the same fighting stance as the ranger for the photo.

Donald Duck wrote #1 by his name on the autograph book and scratched out a picture of Mickey Mouse in the border of that page.

It's always fun to watch Pluto hold the book on his nose when signing and Goofy to sign it behind his head.

Here's another thread with lots of good ideas about what to say to the characters!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=657318

Character interactions are very possibly my favorite parts of the trip!! I love when you get someone so in character and quick on his/her feet. In fact, I love looking for good YouTube character videos. I know, I know...nerd alert.

Oh yes! I love character interaction. I could "chat" with the characters all day

On my 10th birthday (over 20 years ago :rolleyes:) and my very first trip to any place Disney my little sister and I posed for a picture with Snow White in Disneyland. After the picture was taken my father looked at her and said "So do you enjoy playing Snow White?" She looked at him with this beyond surprised look and said "But sir . . . I AM Snow White!"

That one small statement made such a lasting impression on my dad - in fact he still talks about that moment and being amazed by how she stayed in character. :) In fact it was at that moment that he began to think Snow White was :love: well . . . let's just say he thinks she's "hot." LOL :)

I usually lose my brain when it's my turn and just say "hi"!:laughing:

Happens to me too, most of the time. It's like meeting a celebrity. However, on my last day of my 1st trip to WDW, I went to the AK to go say goodbye to my favorite, Baloo. After I had my last picture taken and the autograph book was signed, I turned to him and told him to always look for the "bare necessities" and say hi for me to Mowgli & Bagheera. It made the nearby guests and CMs smile and Baloo responded with an extra big bear hug.:goodvibes

Whenever I meet Tigger, who is also among my very favorites, I ask him to teach me how to bounce. This often results in some funny pictures.

Chip & Dale are fun to interact with, too. When I met them one day at Epcot, they both signed my book, we got our usual pics taken and after that, Dale started to flip through all the pages of my autograph book until he found the page that was signed by Baloo and King Louie. He asked for my sharpie and quickly drew a little crown over one if the "i's" in "King Louie".:)

We had a really great experience with the princesses in the judges tent. My 5 year old DS (who talks to EVERYONE, introduced to himself to pretty much anyone we saw on the monorail or in the hotel or on the bus, the bus drivers...etc... :) ) brought with him his Disney Transport bus into the princess meet & greet. They were all very perplexed by it, couldn't figure it out, "Is that your carriage, prince??" they asked him. He tried to explain to them that it was a toy bus, made by the "toy makers", but of course they didn't know what a "bus" was. Belle was wonderful, "Oh, that must be a fantastic new invention!!" she said. "My Papa LOVES to invent things! If you could invent something," she asked DS, "what would it be??" and he responded, "A train!!" Her response, "Oh, my friend Cogsworth the Clock LOVES trains, b/c they always run on time!" Then DS proceeded to tell her that her bright yellow dress was shining in his eyes. It was so cute, I got the whole thing on video.

I have a few fun ones.

I met Smee and Captain Cook completely by accident. I was sitting on the bench in Epcot over by the Imagination Pavilion, before you go into the Countries. They came out of this little door and lo and behold, I was the only one there. Now I am fanatic about my hair. Smee reached out to hug me and I said, "God, don't touch my hair." He reeled back in horror and put his hands over his mouth in surprise. Captain Hook looked over at Smee and put out his hand palm side up. With his other hand, he pointed at me and then had two fingers walking across his palm. He smiled, and I said, "Oh, you want me to walk the plank." He winked and nodded his head.

The other one was when I met Robin Hood and his merry gang. I drew a blank when it came to Friar Tuck. I would say Little John, and he would put his hands over his head and just shake his head. It took me three tries to get it right. When I said, "Friar Tuck!", he motioned every one to clap for me because I finally got it right.

Last one, I love Jungle Book and I met Baloo at AK. Again, drew a complete blank. He pointed at his fur and I said, "fur". He shook his head no. I said, "coat". He shook his head no. He pointed furiously, and I said, "blue." He motioned with both of his hands, putting his palms together and slowing stretching them out. I said, "bluuuuuue." He shooked his head no, and stretched his arms out really slowly, until I finally said, "baaaaa......lue." He actually bowed to the crowd for his performance.

I must make such a spectacle of myself when I am at the world. :lmao:

Oh, this is fun. We had a lot of good ones on our last trip, because it was three of us single gals.

At the 1900 Park Faire dinner the first night, Druzilla and Anastasia came around to the table behind us to sign autographs. The little girl had her book, but couldn't find a pen. The lady at the table next to us handed her a pen. Druzilla said in a really high squeaky voice, "Thank you for being so prepared".

Same night, at the table next to us, a little girl all dressed up as Cinderella was with her mom and grandmom. Lady Tremaine came up and motioned to her to take a picture. She then told her that she was going to do what Cinderella had to do every night before she went to bed. Lady Tremaine pulled a napkin off the table, pulled out the chair next to her, handed the napkin to the little girl, and told her to dust her shoe lightly to make sure it was extra clean..... she did it. It is one of my fav pics from this last trip.

Last one, the next night we went to dinner at the Akerhaus. Cinderella came up to us, and said, "What no princes this trip?" We said, "Nope, just us girls." She said, "Then you be sure to be home before midnight."

We have had several great interactions with characters.

Chip & Dale are our favs, 1 year I wore my C & D shirt and they has a fit over it...Chip thought it was so funny because Dale wasn't the same color as him. Also my son had on a power ranger T and the boys posed as power rangers with him.

One year at Ohana Stitch had my son make a silly pose with him one of my fav moments and pictures.

At Garden Grill Mickey spent so much time with us...it was late in the evening when we ate and there weren't a lot of people so we saw the characters many times. Mickey "signed" to DS which we thought was really cool and we understood everything.

Sometimes I think you don't even have to talk to them, your actions work the same.

We love to have conversations with the characters! The first few times, I was a little uncomfortable trying to communicate with the non-speaking characters, but I've gotten a bit better.

"Conversations" usually start with something the character sees. Once, Minnie saw DD7's Minnie necklace and went crazy over it. Goofy saw my Michigan State shirt last visit and started cheering.

We usually have breakfast at Akershus and then we wander around Epcot. Each time, the princesses that have been at the breakfast have been out in World Showcase a bit later and they always remember DD7! One year, DD dressed in her Jasmine costume for breakfast and Jasmine saw her walking and came out to pull her over to Aladdin to say "This is Isabella! The one I told you about!" Of course, we were shocked that she remembered her name, but it was fantastic!

Then, another year, Mulan introduced DD to Mushu as someone she met at breakfast.

Last visit, DD dressed as Sleeping Beauty for MNSSHP and got to visit with Maleficent. Maleficent looked at her with disgust as she walked up and said "Well, I guess you are prettier than that other one" and "You have much better manners, too". Then, as we were walking away, she said "Are you ready for your nap now, Aurora?" DD thought it was so cool! She kept saying "Mommy, did she think I was really Sleeping Beauty?"

I usually say something like "you are one of my favorites" "I know you are very busy but thank you for the picture". "My grandkids are goin to love this picture!". I think the characters like it. :) When we take our grandkids I make sure they use their manners and talk to the characters also.

Character interaction takes some practice...my advice (with both face and non-face characters is...don't think of them as someone dressed up as the character....they ARE the character. Act like you would if you ran into an old friend on the street that you hadn't seen in a while.

It's easy to get a conversation with most of them...if you don't know what to say...simply ask them where so-and-so is....for example, you are meeting Jasmine, ask "Where's Aladdin tonight?" or "How's your father, the Sultan, doing?" This will pretty much work with any face character. Last trip we say Cinderella at Akerhaus and I told her "The other day, we saw your step-mother and sisters hanging around outside the castle." She responded something along the lines of: "Oh, I hope that you didn't let them inside." and we had a little conversation about them. Snow White also, she saw my Birthday button and asked DD6 if she had made Gooseberry pies for me for my birthday. So I said, "But I prefer Apple pie." You can always get Snow White going by bringing up apples....here's a hint - she doesn't really like them!

I think when you do this, it's more fun for the character too, as probably the majority of the time its smile, autograph, picture...over and over.

The non-face characters are a little harder, but as a PP mentioned you can still get a pretty good response. Again, mention that you like their movies/shows and maybe comment on something in particular you like. With Chip and Dale, I always say "DD watches your cartoons, she loves when you outsmart Donald Duck." Or, compliment them on how good they look today. It's not like you'll get a long conversation anyways.

One of our friends really got Donald worked up at Chef Mickey's by asking him: "So, why isn't there any duck on the menu?" Har Har!

With Captain Hook, I asked where Peter Pan was. He answered with a single finger sliding across his neck. Kinda like off with his head thing. After that I asked him where the crocodile was. He was really rattled with that on. He jumped up and looked around, like he was really scared. My DS, who was 4 at the time, thought that was the funniest thing ever.

I never know what to say to the characters that talk. I always just let them take the lead and usually just get a picture and say bye. Do you try to strike up a conversation? What about non-talking characters? Maybe yes/no questions?

I would love to hear stories about "conversations" you've had with the characters.

I always say, get away from me, your scaring me.:lmao:

We love great character interaction! Favorite is probably Cinderella's stepsisters. Go to them wearing a Cindy shirt, or even just say the name, and you set them off on a good tirade! DD had a pink Cindy dress last time we went- I could hardly stop laughing long enough to video tape their reaction.

DS has had a couple good encounters with Tigger (hmm his favorite animal now at 13 is tigers, I wonder...) We went to DL when he was 1 and sat down in front of Tigger. Tigger got right down on his belly with him and played peekaboo. It was so precious!

We went to WDW when DS was 4, Tigger was a little crazier! We were at the old character breakfast at WL, the very last seating, and one of the last ones to leave. We had Pooh sitting down and coloring with DS for quite a while, then Tigger comes in. Starts jumping up and down on an empty booth seat (?!) and trying to get DS to join him. Pooh was scolding Tigger and "telling" DS he was good for not following in that lead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter