Do you take your passports into port

momma4boys

Earning My Ears
or do you leave them in the ship? We leave in 1 week :-)yay:) and I am trying to decide if I need to get some sort of passport carrier. We are going snorkeling and all kinds of fun stuff - not sure what to do...advice :wave2:

We just left ours in the safe in the stateroom. The only ID you will need is your drivers license and your KTTW card to get off and on the ship...and those fit in your lanyard. Didn't get the passports out again until we disembarked the ship. :).

Have a wonderful cruise!

We follow DCL's recommendation and leave them in the safe on board. Yes, you'll get all sorts of opinions here. We DO take a copy of the Navigator with us. This has the number of the "Ship's Agent" printed; this is the number you would use to contact the ship in an emergency. If you have an emergency while in port, DCL has a system in place--they can open your safe and get your passport to you at a hospital, police station, or whatever. In addition, they will pack up your stateroom and get your luggage to you if necessary.

We take color copies...one page per person with his/her passport and driver's license (if old enough to have one). The passports stay in the safe.

I took mine into Nassau because I wanted a stamp; no problem.
Left it at Guest Services to get a stamp at Castaway Cay.

We'll take them into St Maartens for the stamps too.

I'm used to traveling with them 'on' me as I've been to China twice and you are always supposed to have them on you.

Nancy

or do you leave them in the ship? We leave in 1 week :-)yay:) and I am trying to decide if I need to get some sort of passport carrier. We are going snorkeling and all kinds of fun stuff - not sure what to do...advice :wave2:

We carry them with us.

It's not absolutely critical that you carry them, but I figure it'd be one less thing to worry about should we need to fly home (or somewhere else) quickly and unexpectedly.

I took mine into Nassau because I wanted a stamp; no problem.
Left it at Guest Services to get a stamp at Castaway Cay.

We'll take them into St Maartens for the stamps too.

I'm used to traveling with them 'on' me as I've been to China twice and you are always supposed to have them on you.

Nancy

We wanted stamps too, so we carried them off ship. Because of that we brought BC's also to leave onboard in safe in case the PP's didn't make it back to ship, we would have papers for reentry. JMO.

We just left the PP's in the beach bag on the two excursions, but those were on small boats, so .... Other time was on a tour, then small beach, so again left them in bag. Risky, perhaps. Actually probably not at Mullet Bay. ;) HTH

We wanted stamps too, so we carried them off ship. Because of that we brought BC's also to leave onboard in safe in case the PP's didn't make it back to ship, we would have papers for reentry. JMO.

We just left the PP's in the beach bag on the two excursions, but those were on small boats, so .... Other time was on a tour, then small beach, so again left them in bag. Risky, perhaps. Actually probably not at Mullet Bay. ;) HTH

Where do you get stamps off the boat? I didn't see anyplace when we were in port (GC, CM and Cozumel)

Where do you get stamps off the boat? I didn't see anyplace when we were in port (GC, CM and Cozumel)

In Nassau it was in a building right next to the dock. Said "security" on the gate. It was fun and the Bahamian officials were nice.

Nancy

Another vote for bringing a photocopy or having a photo stored on a phone or device.
Personally I would never risk having my passport stolen in port over the slim chance I will miss the ship. Another poster mentioned bringing the Disney port authority info with them, to me this is more important than having my passport on me. When ashore, we bring our ship cards, photo ID for the adults, cash, credit card, copy of our passports and ship port authority number. It is all carried in a small, waterproof container I keep tucked under my shirt or in my bathing suit at all times.

I just made a copy this morning for upcoming trip. I think it's important to carry a copy... Just in case :)

We leave them in the safe but have pictures of them on our iPhones.

I just have a picture of my iPhone that I take into port... and leave the actual phone in the safe.

iPhones are expensive to replace, it has all my personal details in it, and there is a very slim chance that I'll need a phone. If I do, there are plenty of phones around I can use.

;)

Whatever you do passport-wise, things will work out. It's not that big a deal either way. To me, it's personal preference (i.e. which worst-case scenario you'd rather deal with).

depends on the situation
if I am traveling a significant distance from the port on a non-DCL tour then I feel better having my passport with me

if we are staying close to the port, then I am ok with just carrying a copy

If we are on a DCL excursion then I usually don't bring anything beyond my driver's license (but a photo copy of the passport wouldn't be a bad idea in case you get separated).

This is what works for me and my comfort level

To each their own:confused3

What about birth certificates? If you are only travelling with those, are you supposed to bring them with you into port or leave them in the safe too?

We will be taking our passports into port with us in GC, due to wanting stamps. Possibly in CC, as well. Cozumel, I will leave them on the ship, CM, we are making it our own 'sea day' (I think).

I think a lot depends on the country and what happens when you are ashore. Most of the examples are fine for a casual day in a port and everyone safely walks back to port and boards the ship. The trouble begins when something really odd happens. Lets say a family goes ashore, someone in the party gets hurt in a traffic accident. Everyone goes to the hospital with the injured person. Time flies by, ship sails and now no one has a passport and cannot travel anywhere.

So here's where the country may matter. Depending on what country you are in you may be there for hours or days before you can get the paperwork necessary to fly out of that country without your passports. Extreme example, and for the Caribbean probably not an issue. But say you are in Hong Kong, China, Thailand, etc. things may be very different.

I think that's why people have differing opinions on the topic. There are a lot of variables that can make a difference in the correct answer here.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We carry them. I know they give you the number for the ships agent, but what if you cant call? Too many variables for me. Not to mention I'm sure my husbands bosses would have a fit if they knew we were in a foreign country without our passports!

I didn't see anyplace when we were in port (GC, CM and Cozumel)

In Grand Cayman, there is an official-looking building on the right side of the port area as you are walking in from the dock (inside the fences). I forget what it's called, but you can't miss it - just walk right in and ask and they will stamp your passports.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter