Do you take the Disney busses or drive your car?

BeccaA

Mouseketeer
Just curious! We are staying on site (POR). Just wondering if it's faster to drive to the parks or take buses. I would love all opinions on this.

We almost always take the buses but we have also never stayed at POR. It seems like a larger resort that I would consider wanting to rent a car. We recently stayed at SSR and we loved the resort, but we decided it was so spread out that if we stayed there ever again, we would have to rent a car.

We always use Disney transportation. To us, it's part of the fun. Sure, every once in a while we wait a bit, but we're pretty relaxed on vacation. If we drove our own car it wouldn't feel as much like vacation to us. :)

On trips that we drive, we usually drive to AK, if we are going first thing in the morning. We normally stay at MK resorts and the bus ride seems SOOO long to AK from our resort. You can park pretty easily there and its a quick walk to the entrance. We also drive to DTD and resorts for ADRs. For trips we fly, we don't rent a car. We just use Disney transportation and some cab service.

We always use Disney transportation. To us, it's part of the fun. Sure, every once in a while we wait a bit, but we're pretty relaxed on vacation.

We are the same way and only use Disney transportation. We are never in a hurry on vacation, so we don't mind if it takes a little longer getting around.

Just curious! We are staying on site (POR). Just wondering if it's faster to drive to the parks or take buses. I would love all opinions on this.

To answer your question, driving yourself, in almost all instances, is going to be faster than Disney busing. Having said that, the million dollar question then becomes, "How much faster is it, and is it worth the extra $$$ and hassle to rent a car"?

Disney transportation, in particular - buses - usually makes for polarizing conversation around these boards. To make a long story short, you'll get a number of people who are perfectly satisfied with the level of service provided by Disney's complimentary transportation. Conversely, you'll also get quite a few responses of people who swear that they will never set foot on another Disney bus so long as they live. I fall into the first category, and find Disney transportation to be more than adaquate for my needs, and not having to worry about driving really helps to make my stay feel like a "vacation".

One last tid-bit as an FYI... with regard to buses at POR, one common thing that I have heard is that due to the size of the resort, there are a number of bus stops that you hit upon entering and leaving the resort. This is one of the resorts that typically gets more complaints about bus service as compared to some other resorts. Your mileage may vary, as again, this is a very subjective topic.

I don't want to drive on vacation so I take Disney transportation but I know some folks that think it is too slow or don't like multiple stops or whatever but for me it is better than driving!

We only use Disney transportation. We give ourselves plenty of time to get from A to B so we're not freaking out about not making something on time. My own personal preference is to wait in the shade to board an air conditioned bus, than wander through a hot parking lot and climb into a hot car.

With the exception of the MK, we always drive to the parks and other resorts.

The MK is an exception because when you drive there you need to park at the TTC then take the tram to the Monorail/Ferry. But if you take the bus you get dropped off over at the MK side of the lagoon.

We drive to all of the parks except MK. We didn't start out doing that, but over time we have found it works better for us. We have our own vehicle though. If we were to ever fly, we would only use Disney Transportation.

We only use the buses. We fly there & it's cheaper not to have to a rent a car. Plus, it's nice not to have to have to deal with traffic, parking, etc.

I prefer to take Disney Transportation. I'm on vacation and I don't want to drive if I don't have too.

I do sometimes have a rental but it's usually when I plan offsite stuff.

I have driven to a couple of ADR's but that was more a matter of I had the car anyway and it was easier because of plans before or after the ADR.

I've been at POR and POFQ both and every time have used buses or boats the majority of the time.

Stayed at POR last trip with no car and we were more than happy with Disney transportation. Staying there again in July and we plan to park the car on arrival day and not use it again until departure. Sure, you might wait a little longer but you get dropped off at the entrance to the parks every time instead of hiking or riding in from the parking lot.

Also, POR is big but totally walkable and there are 4 stops so just use the closest one.

Almost always bus even though I have a car. The exception being resort to resort (unless monorail of course).

Disney Buses. Hands down. Sometimes, they may not come as frequently as I would like, but it is definitely more convenient and probably faster by the time you park and get a tram.

I don't drive on a day to day basis - gave my car up years ago - and I definitely don't want to drive on vacation. The fact that WDW has comprehensive transportation available is one of the main reasons it's my favorite place to go. It's not perfect but I've never been on a transit system that is.

POR is a cool resort, but for us, the transportation was horrible. I would never stay there again without a car.

Because of that issue, we've moved to monorail resorts and have never looked back. If we drive to WDW, we drive to AK and HS. If we fly, we just deal with a bus for 2 days

I guess it depends on what you want out of your WDW vacation. I always feel that DME and the busses are all part of the "Disney vacation" so why drive. We did rent a car once for a day trip to the Space Center but other than that we rely on Disney for all of our transportation needs...which is exactly how Disney wants it.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter