Do you take out trip insurance on a disney vacation ?

lisaross

DIS Veteran
Do you take out the trip insurance through Disney or elsewhere?

We have booked our own airlines and booked hotel n tickets thru disney travel agent and hotel and tickets for universal. If I book through an independent insurer I can insure the entire trip as oppose thru disney for just disney than universal for that part of the trip - what do you do?

I have never taken out trip insurance on a Disney vacation. My flights are through Southwest, so I could rebook those. I have non-expiring tickets, so no money lost if I didn't go. I get room-only reservations which I could cancel close to the arrival date. I have gotten trip insurance online for other trips. I guess I wouldn't pick Disney to insure my trip if I felt the need, since there are other options.

We did on our last trip. We booked a 2 bedroom BLT in December for a September trip. That far in advance and with renting points, we felt like we had to "protect" ourselves. We already did one trip with a 6 year with 2 broken legs (great trip BTW!) and learned that the unexpected CAN and WILL happen! I think we used Alliance? Whichever one the kids (we have 4 of them) we insured for free. Thankfully we didn't need to use it- the next set of broken bones waited until AFTER the trip!

I wouldn't buy it. I only insure against financial catastrophes that would bankrupt me

Yes. When I spend more than 3k on a trip. I insure it. Plus I tend to vacation in the month of September and the weather is risky.

Make sure you understand the rules if you are considering a policy. Got one last year because I was taking someone who was fighting Cancer; read through the policy and discovered it would not have paid if we cancelled the trip due to a preexisting medical condition. Cancelled the policy during the grace period.

I do, but only insure the nonrefundable costs. This last July, our flight home was cancelled due to weather so we needed to stay an extra night. Insurance paid for hotel and food up $150 per person. More than covered the cost of the insurance. Look on insure my trip dot com and compare policies. Much better prices than going through Disney.

I only buy trip insurance for international travel.
Same here. I can get us emergency healthcare or a quick flight home if the need arises when we stay domestically. Foreign travel becomes trickier, so we get insurance when we leave the country.

What credit cards and what exactly do they cover

Most credit cards offer various forms of insurance through Visa and Mastercard. You should contact your bank to obtain a brochure of the details of your coverage.

I use chase Sapphire and freedom cards. Also lost baggage allowance is included.

Yes. Its much less impacting to my existing rates if any medical or worse situation comes up while there. In the costs of being here, its a drop in the bucket. My travel coverage is really poor and you might want to call up and find out what coverage you do have from homeowners, car and medical when traveling to decide. Dont forget to ask how future payments are impacted if you do claim something.

The insurance is a lot more than just getting trip fees back.

As pp mentioned, you might have better options that are lower than disney. We do get insurance but not disneys.

A normal Disney trip, no. Only trip I took insurance out on was a Disney cruise.
The reason I got insurance:
1) The trip was the Christmas/New Years week when weather could be bad.
2) The trip was Christmas/New years week which is a heavy travel period.
3) And the biggie, the trip cost about three times what any other vacation I have ever taken cost, and that would be a big hit to my finances.

we never have but will really consider it for our next trip. we were there the first week in 2014. we ran into folks that were stranded due to weather all over the country. one family from Con. had been stranded for 4 days. fortunately they extended before their tickets were up and added those for a small fee, and even tho it was marathon weekend were able to extend the hotel and dining plan too. the gentleman said that the trip insurance was covering the room and food portion (biggest expense) since the airports had grounded flights we don't think if this living in so cal and going to florida (lol) but that winter pretty much the rest of the nation was under snow and ice. our flight went through Chicago and man when we landed hubby and I looked out the window and were worried (flights were fine that day tho) so depending on what time of year it is we may consider it and also check Disney visa to see it they have that option

I called many of my credit cards and they just have coverage if u die or for a rental car. I opened a united card to book my air fair and that would cover any delay over 12 hours. We r going the end of April so weather should not be a huge problem - though anything could happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter