• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you take kids out of school every year?

eebadeeba

Mouseketeer
For those of you who take your kids out of school for trips to Disney - do you do it every year?

I can't imagine going during the summer due to heat or paying the premiums to go over winter break or the crowds at these times either. Now that one kid is in school I am thinking about taking her out for a week. So just curious what other people do.

We have done it 2 times, oct and january. I just get the homework and work hard for a couple of days with my son to catch him up.

Really they are always doing something new so as long as they are not missing big tests, I would not worry to much

As long as you follow your schools policy, cover any missed topics so your child isn't lost, and make sure you don't go during any standardized testing it is usually okay. I have done it and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I taught for many years at the primary school level and really disliked it when parents took their kids out for trips. I can give some work, but you can't recreate what goes on in a classroom.

That being said, as a parent with two young children, I am now all for taking your kid out to save money and beat the crowds (I'm no longer teaching full-time BTW). I really don't think in the long run, a child will be damaged by missing a few days. Remember though, that every child is different and your child's academic capabilities should be taken into consideration. My daughter is no problem, but we will be working with my son during the summer to boost him as he enters 1st grade. The other thing is, you need to choose your time. We are aiming to go Dec 11-17 2010. I know from experience, this close to Chistmas break, nothing new is going to be introduced. There are also no standardized tests at this time. By all means, get that schedule before you go, because that is a problem. I would also probably avoid the month or so before those tests as there is a lot of review going on.

We also do not do this every year. They missed two days in 2008 as we went over Columbus Day weekend. This time it will be a week's trip. I really don't think that it should matter what the school's policy is. Your child will be marked as an "illegal absence." This can go on a permenant record, but it is more for chronic absentees, not Disney visitors.

Lastly, if your child is absent a lot due to illness, then I would do something else. We had a lot of this with my son this year as he was just starting in a new school environment (he's sick today-again!).

Hope this helps!
Jessica

We've done it twice for our son (3rd grade) and once for our kindergartener... so an average of every *other* year.

I usually try to pick a week that coincides with some scheduled days off. This year, we went over MLK week. The school was closed Monday for the holiday and Tuesday for a teacher work day. DS ended up missing 3 days, and DD only missed one (due to the way our kindergarten schedule works).

Our school has a form where you can sign up for an "Alternate Learning Experience." That's what our Disney trips were considered.

We took them out in Sept 09 - they had just started school. They struggled a bit when they got back to school but we were in Disney for 17 days. They missed ten actual days of school which is the cap for our school. So, I did get threatening letters about the fact that they cannot miss anymore school, etc. This year, I am doing late August to avoid them missing school. It was just too stressful for them mostly.

Yes...I am one of those parents....I take my kids out of school....I work and can never get summers off and especially holiday times....airline worker...so we usually go in early December - I just make sure teachers are aware..and that all the make-up work is turned in....I know my kids may have to play catch up...but so far...it hasn't been an issue....I did it while they were in elementary/jr high and now high school...

We take the kids out every year. We have been going since DS was 2. He is now 11 and in 5th grade. DD is in kindergarten.

We will pull them again in September, when DS will be in 6th and DD in 1st. After that its a wait and see since in the 2011-2012 school year DS will start middle school.

I do not pull them out every year. Last year we went at the end of June so they didn't miss school (well they missed the last day which was only a 1/2 day). This year we are pulling them (the younger two in 2nd grade) out in May. I would never pull a high schooler out of school. But in the primary grades I think it is okay. I have two kids in high school and they are staying home mainly by their own choice.

You asked about the time -- personally I think the end of the year is better than the beginning. The kids are more used to the teacher and the school routine and are more likely to not feel out of place when they get back as they would at the beginning of the year. Just my opinion...

Yes.
We have pulled them out EVERY year until this year. This year DD15 is a Junior taking 5 AP classes :eek: & 3 Honors classes....it's just too much work to miss.

But before this, yes, we pulled them every year (sometime twice/yr for WDW)...anywhere from 6-12 school days per year they would miss.

1st -2nd week of May is our favorite time to go.

**And I've always pulled myself out as well :teacher:

We have pulled DD every year since K, and she's a fifth grader. K through
3rd grade, we would usually go for 7 -9 days and she'd miss 5 -6 days. Last year and this year, I've scheduled the trips around days off of school so she doesn't miss too much. This past January we went for a week, but she only missed 3.5 days.
Next year is middle school. We will wait and see how the work load is.

We did it about every other year up till high school. As someone said, AP and honor's classes are just too hard to make up!!!!

I take my ds out every year over the week of Labor Day. We've never had any issues, but he's also just in 2nd grade. We'll be taking him for an extra day this Sept., but still don't anticipate any problems. I'm sure there will come a grade that missing 5 straight days of school may be a little more difficult and we'll just have to see how it goes then and possibly re-evaluate our vacation time, but right now it works out fine.

We always pull the kids out-one or two weeks during the year-sometimes one at the beginning of the year-though we do try and go away before school starts some years and the last one is always in June when they aren't doing anything of importance(and this is teachers telling me that, not my own opinion)
My kids teachers-every one they've had- and the principal have always been fine with it. If I had kids who had trouble in school I would not do it, but they are straight A students.

yes, we took DD out at least 3 days per year each year of elementary school, except kindergarten and 1st grade. the elementary school was very pro family-time. middle school, however, will not excuse for vacations. if your school will allow it and your child is a good student who can easily make-up work/do work ahead of time and hasn't missed many days of school, go for it.

We have taken our DD10 out for the past 3 years, and will again this September. We always go in September with free dining. Last year she missed 8 days. She had work to complete, but got most of it done on the airplane. She will miss 8 days again this September. Our school does not have a problem with family vacations- they just want you to give them 2-3 weeks notice, so the teacher can get the work together. My DD has never had trouble catching up. I think if she struggled, I wouldn't take her out for so many days.

We do take our kids out of school for our yearly trip to WDW. We don't take school lightly, but my family time with my kids is priceless and vacation memories are not something I'm willing to give up. My kids will look back years from now and remember all the great times we had on vacation and that is worth it to me. Call me selfish. I know we can go during non-school times of the year but I don't consider fighting the huge crowds a great family vacation.

We do give the teachers a heads up and work at getting as much of the work done before we go and after we come back. We don't take homework with us since the only time to do any of it is on the plane. Has never been an issue for us because we do work with the school on any makeup work.

I know taking the kids out of school isn't for everyone, but it works for us.

We have pulled our son out of kindergarten and first grade in September and will be pulling him out again in second grade in december. His teachers and principal have been very understanding and have given us his work to complete. I think it depends on the child tho'. If he was already struggling, then I wouldn't, but since he is at or above grade level in every area, then we do what works for our family. My way of making myself feel better about it is that we always go to Hall of Presidents and then he has to ask a question to a cast member in each of the World Showcase countries about their home country and he has to write a little about what he learned.

Thank you for all of your responses. I will be taking her out next month for a week to visit family for a graduation. Her teacher was totally fine with this. I would like to go to Disney next September (free dining), and didn't really give a second thought to taking her out of school. If there were any reason to come up that she should not miss school for a week or if the teacher thought it wasn't a good idea, I would then change the dates and pay more to go over Christmas or spring break. Unfortunately, my soon to be ex-husband is now saying I shouldn't be taking her out of school in May to go to see family for the graduation. He has not had much time with the kids since he moved out and is now seeing them every other Sunday. It is just frustrating to have him complain about the decisions I make, yet he takes no responsibility for their education (just a little vent). Anyway, just making sure I am not insane or a bad parent for thinking that it is okay to take them out for a vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter