Do you take it personally when someone insults WDW?

I'm fine with people who don't really care for Disney...to each his own.

What I don't like is when people act like I'm throwing money away by going to WDW.

One of my friends asked me how much I was spending on this next vacation. I assumed she was asking because she was interested in information for her family. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

When I told her the total price, she began lecturing me on how it was a waste of money and how could I spend that much money on a vacation! I kept trying to break it down for her and explain that we were getting the dining plan for free, but she just kept on about me wasting money.

It's times like this when it really is a personal attack. It's a lack of knowledge and understanding with a sort of prejudice that bothers me most.

I feel for her children who will have to wait until they can make their own decisions before getting to visit WDW.

YES

If someone isn't really interested in Disney, that is one thing. You know, it just doesn't float their boat. But if they hate Disney and say bad things about it, then we don't get along LOL

My cousin HAD to have us meet her current boyfriend and he ended up saying how Disney was an evil corporation and bla bla bla. And my cousin LOVEs Disney and wants to get married and go on her honeymoon there! :rotfl2:

Needless to say, she only put up with him for so long. When she realized she wanted to change things about him that was it. I say yay! Find someone who likes what you like. :wizard:

bluejasmine said:
Ok Ive been to WDW about 9 or 10 times DH has been almost 4 times and he is the only one in our house NOT WDW obssessed I mean dedicated. It bothers me sometimes but normally the kids and I just plan our trips and go. It bothers me the most when he will make comments about how much I am spending to go to WDW (Im paying) when he doesnt want to go. This trip he is going and I have to admit Im very worried he will be a killjoy. He is already complaining that it will be hot and he wont want to do this or that so I am trying to prepare myself and the kids to go on with our plans if he shows his behind, I am beginning to think I should not have invited him, but he is my hubby and I WANT to share the things I love with him. He has had NO part in any of the planning except to say he wants to get seafood one night and have a good steak another night. When I get excited and start to talk about details he either gets a bored look on his face or tells me he doesnt want to hear about it everyday. Anyway, I am saying a prayer that all will go well, that we both keep our tempers in check ( or that I dont get my feelings hurt) and that we have a magical trip. If there is a problem I have already made up my mind then I will never ask him to go with us again. The last trip with just the kids and I was a blast and we were very sorry for it to end.

Are we married to the same guy?? Holy cats your DH and mine are cut from the same cloth. My DH (D=dork in this case) totally killed my vacation there last September and I have made him pay dearly by going with just my daughter three times this year. For one day in February, a couple days in Disneyland, and I will go again in November. HA!! That'll teach him for being a killjoy.

I get a little "cheesed" when people ask me, do you ever go anywhere else. I always say, WHY? I really feel like I've gotten away from it all after I've been to Disney. It's almost like visiting an alternate universe where "dreams do come true".

If they have never been and judge it I do try to explain that they cannot make a judgement without seeing it (with an open mind)… If they still don’t like it afterwards, fine by me…

There are enough places where I can share my passion, so I’ll not go and try to convince the once that are not liking it… (Although I did convert some “regulars” into “Disney fans”)

My biggest pride; getting a guy into Disneyland Resort Paris who hates stuff like that. He still didn’t like it, but admitted he understood others could love this… Fair enough for me…

When co-workers would "put down Disney" and saying "how expensive it is." ;) I than ask them "Where did you go on your last vacation" when they say "no-where, I stayed home" I said "Good, that explains why the parks wasn't too crowded when I was there last" week/month etc. :rotfl: I than tell them, "get away from me, I have nothing to say to you about Disney-- next Subject!" :rolleyes: These are the same people that want to know HOW I get those great rates." Do I tell them, NO! :rotfl2:

My theory on this is people are just jealous!
We have encountered several jealous people since we joined with our DVC.
Just let the comments slide. Believe me, if someone offered these same people a trip to Disney - they would be the 1st to say yes!

Everyone has a personal opinion and not everyone is going to like anything Disney-related. I don't really care if they love WDW or detest it. I've had my share of good and bad experiences there too. Some people (like me! :teeth: ) have often gone to the parks expecting to be overwhelmed with excitement only to find that some of the attractions:
A. are not really THAT great
B. ALWAYS have a 90-minute wait in line
C. are ALWAYS under repair no matter how many times I go
D. have lost their nostalgia and charm over the years (I must be getting old, I loved the Haunted Mansion the last two times I went but the third time, it seemed stale and not the slightest bit spooky)
or
E. (dare I say it?) are too jam packed with kids screaming "We want Mickey! We want Mickey!" :bounce:
F. and my most frequent peeve: having to fight through the massive crowds to get to an attraction with a 45-minute wait in line.
Can anyone add to this?

I guess I do get insulted. I recently got back from a wonderful week at the world. My friend, who has never been, could not believe I did not go to the beach when I went to Florida. She told me if I wanted to go to an amusement park I could have went to Six Flags. That comment really annoyed me, and I tried to explain it to her. Still she did not understand.

I completely understand how some people do not care to go on a Disney vacation.. Not me ofcourse, I would go yearly if we could... :love:

I would not want to go to a cold vacation. That's just me... So, I do understand... BUT I do not knock others for heading off to their vacations...

None of the people I have mentioned, except my sister & Brother in-law and sister in-law have gone to WDW... They did not complain about the heat, money or the waiting in lines.... They just didn't like WDW at all... That is fine, but no need to knock my vacations because we do like going there! Also, the other people I have mentioned (co-worker and friend) neither one has been to Disney, I don't even know if they know about waits, fast passes or the heat... well, maybe they figure... FLORIDA = HEAT :sunny: .. and I don't even think cash is an issue for them... :confused3

All I know is that till I found the Disboards, I thought my hubby and my self were all by our selves on this one.... Nice to know I am not alone.....

Yeah, those are the same individuals that can't believe the only thing we do in Florida is go to WDW. Beach, been there done that, don't care much about the seaweed. Universal, been there done that, not my cup of tea. Gatorland, holy cow, no way, there are free roaming ones around my grandmother's place, why pay to see one's behind cages?! No way Jose! They say why not just go to Six Flags, because it's only a day trip and I don't like to ride roller coasters non-stop! In my opinion, the people who stick their noses at up about WDW just have no idea how exciting and ever changing and magical it really is.

When I got married my wife wanted to go to WDW for our Honeymoon. I thought she was crazy, but she won!! It was the best time I ever had. We have gone several times since, and are going again in October (POR). I think most people who speak negatively haven't been, and just don't know any better.

I take it personally as well. What gets me the most is when KIDS say they don't like WDW. I asked my twin cousins (both 16, both female) if they would like to go to WDW with my DGf and her family one day (as a Magical GAthering, which I've always wanted to check out). They said "Disney? Uch, no way." So I asked them why and they said it was for kids. I tried to explain to them that they were wrong in their perception, but they just wouldn't budge. They don't like the movies, the parks, or the channel! I don't know where I've gone wrong...I hope my kids don't turn out like that.

Sorry :rolleyes2 I have to chime in one more time.

After re-reading all of these posts, one thing stood out to me -- the fact that people actually put-down & insult other people's desire to go to & enjoy WDW as much as they do. I don't understand this attitude in people, whether it's about vacationing, one's hairstyle, one's dress, etc., but you encounter it all of the time.

I would NEVER say to someone, "Why do you wear your hair that way? Yuck", or "Why do you have so many children?" or "Why in the heck would you want to go to Disneyworld?", etc. And I never understand why people feel so free to give their opinions - especially negative ones - to others. It's very simple - just keep quiet if it's something that you don't care for & you can plainly see that the person you're speaking with does.

My DH & I have absolutely no desire to travel to Europe & we have many friends & family that do, but we would never presume to belittle their desire & decisions to do so - much less give our opinions on the cost of their trips. We just sit & listen to their very excited descriptions of their trips & try to engage the best that we can. We have never been to certain very popular vacation destinations in the U.S. or have & didn't like them, but we'd never speak negatively to someone who loves it & is excited about telling their upcoming or recently spent vacation.

Anyway, I don't get upset with anyone for not liking WDW, but I certainly question their motives & character when they express negative & sometimes insulting views of my love of Disney - especially when they've never even been there. :confused3

JRawkSteady said:
I take it personally as well. What gets me the most is when KIDS say they don't like WDW. I asked my twin cousins (both 16, both female) if they would like to go to WDW with my DGf and her family one day (as a Magical GAthering, which I've always wanted to check out). They said "Disney? Uch, no way." So I asked them why and they said it was for kids. I tried to explain to them that they were wrong in their perception, but they just wouldn't budge. They don't like the movies, the parks, or the channel! I don't know where I've gone wrong...I hope my kids don't turn out like that.

Your kids probably won't turn out like that, they will probably love Disney as much as you.... I never spoke of WDW till we took my children in 2003, we spoke of WDW lightly and then surprised them with we are going there next week (they were 5 and 7).... Can't even tell you... I am smiling just thinking about it... since then we went again in 2005.. Great trips and the kids love it there... They talk about Disney often, saying what rides they would like to live at, take care of and ride all the time... It's kinda funny hearing little boys say they would like to live at Splash Mountain, so they could swim all day... it's cute and sweet to listen too.... I did not go until I was 15 years old and my mom took me.... I remember feeling like I was going to cry everytime I looked at the castle, same feeling the first time I went with my boys....

GrandFloridian4 said:
Sorry :rolleyes2 I have to chime in one more time.

After re-reading all of these posts, one thing stood out to me -- the fact that people actually put-down & insult other people's desire to go to & enjoy WDW as much as they do. I don't understand this attitude in people, whether it's about vacationing, one's hairstyle, one's dress, etc., but you encounter it all of the time.

I would NEVER say to someone, "Why do you wear your hair that way? Yuck", or "Why do you have so many children?" or "Why in the heck would you want to go to Disneyworld?", etc. And I never understand why people feel so free to give their opinions - especially negative ones - to others. It's very simple - just keep quiet if it's something that you don't care for & you can plainly see that the person you're speaking with does.

My DH & I have absolutely no desire to travel to Europe & we have many friends & family that do, but we would never presume to belittle their desire & decisions to do so - much less give our opinions on the cost of their trips. We just sit & listen to their very excited descriptions of their trips & try to engage the best that we can. We have never been to certain very popular vacation destinations in the U.S. or have & didn't like them, but we'd never speak negatively to someone who loves it & is excited about telling their upcoming or recently spent vacation.

Anyway, I don't get upset with anyone for not liking WDW, but I certainly question their motives & character when they express negative & sometimes insulting views of my love of Disney - especially when they've never even been there. :confused3
EXACTLY.... Couldn't agree with you more!!!!!!!

We have friends that are very into it, and some who detest it. What bugs me is one particular friend who takes pride in "being too cool" for Disney. He can't let it go at that. His family chooses to vacation on a lake every year. Also a very nice vacation, but he tells us all the time how HE is making memories for HIS kids that will last a lifetime. HIS way of vacationing is all about family memories and tradition.

Well excuse me, but for my family going to Disney does the same thing and more. It's the superiority in his opinion that bugs the crap out of me.

If he's a good friend I would have no problem just flat out asking him (if you haven't already) what the difference is between his lake and our amazing Disney...I'd like to know haha. Plus it would probably get rid of the tension to be able to relate to each other. :goodvibes

Miller1412 said:
We have friends that are very into it, and some who detest it. What bugs me is one particular friend who takes pride in "being too cool" for Disney. He can't let it go at that. His family chooses to vacation on a lake every year. Also a very nice vacation, but he tells us all the time how HE is making memories for HIS kids that will last a lifetime. HIS way of vacationing is all about family memories and tradition.

Well excuse me, but for my family going to Disney does the same thing and more. It's the superiority in his opinion that bugs the crap out of me.

This is the attitude that kills me; the "you must be so terribly immature to go to a Disney park" mentality. I find it offensive. I absolutely despise car racing, but people spend thousands of dollars to learn to drive a race car for vacation, and they are free to do so without my opinions on the matter. DH and I love to travel, and have each been to Europe several times, I'm going back to England with a friend this winter and DH and I will take a driving trip through Italy in the next few years. We will always come back to Disney, though, as we adore the magic and the comfortable fabulous time. I have awful food allergies and Disney bends over backwards to make my dining safe. I love the feeling I get at Disney locales. It's irreplaceable.

Even after reading all those responses.... I am one of those people who still does get offended about poeple who insult Disney or my Disney vacation.... I should have re-worded the original post, I am ok with people who do not like WDW.... But I still take offense to poeple who bad mouth Disney (not about the $$... Because it does cost alot, and we do have to save up for our Disney vacations too) But people who say why do you keep going back or people who say it is like a carnival or regular old amusement park.... (Not that Disney needs me to stick up for them.....I think they do fine with out me!)

Just wanted to see other people's take on the subject....

I try to explain the Disney Magic to people that don't understand. They will never understand if they don't 'get it' themselves. For me, I 'got it' when I was 17 and we had just come home from a DW trip (my 3rd trip at that point) While there all I wanted to do was come home. We got home, that night popped in the video tape and I wanted to cry my eyes out! Everything I saw felt like it was taking over my every emotion... ahhhhhhhh... From then on, I've been totally obcessed with everything DW :goodvibes
Now everytime I go, I get recharged with more and more disney and I can't get enough!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter