Do you take a pedometer to the parks?

I used an Omron on my trip in Aug. We averaged about 23000 steps a day.

Another vote for an Omron. I have the HJ-112. There are three of us in my group and each have one. The numbers are pretty similar, so that seems like a pretty good sign! It's fun to see how much walking we do at WDW!

Not sure about others, but the Fitbit won't record time on rides. It won't, as an example, record time on a bike or elliptical.

I have been successful in getting my FitBit to record my time on a bike/elliptical. When I do these activities, I usually will put my FitBit on my ankle or shoe(just make sure it is really secure so you don't lose it) because then it can pick up the movement my feet/legs are doing, as opposed to at my waist or my bra which won't have as such movement during those particular activities.

Don't know about whether it will pick up rides, though I would think it would pick up some of the more 'bouncy' or jarring rides and I would be shocked if it didn't pick up the elevation changes of going up and down on roller coasters as if you were walking up/down a flight of stairs or a hill. Mine is pretty sensitive to the elevation change of even just a stairs.

I have been successful in getting my FitBit to record my time on a bike/elliptical. When I do these activities, I usually will put my FitBit on my ankle or shoe(just make sure it is really secure so you don't lose it) because then it can pick up the movement my feet/legs are doing, as opposed to at my waist or my bra which won't have as such movement during those particular activities.

Don't know about whether it will pick up rides, though I would think it would pick up some of the more 'bouncy' or jarring rides and I would be shocked if it didn't pick up the elevation changes of going up and down on roller coasters as if you were walking up/down a flight of stairs or a hill. Mine is pretty sensitive to the elevation change of even just a stairs.
I guess that would work. I was just going based on the FAQ's. I suppose if attached to shoe it would work on something that is not moving independently of you. And you are correct about the elevation, it's altimeter is very sensitive.

I just have a cheap one that was given to me for an "Eat Well, Live Well" challenge. It's worn on the hip and not digital. I'm just bringing it for an estimate. It shouldn't track on the rides but I'll make sure I check the before and after. :-)

I plan to next month, but only because I have this new digital one that we got for work health challanges last year. It's a recording device that attatches to my shoe and collects data just like a regular pedometer then that data in the shoe device is then wirelessly downloaded to a computer at work or home that has the software on it (device holds approx 10 days of data) that translates the data to steps/movement. It's very very cool and since I"ve paid for it I want to play with it. (it was very interesting to look at the breakdown/analysis on line, the thing could tell if I was walking, running or just moving around sproadically)

That wasn't my post, but I'm guessing it was a day. My then 6-yo son wore one on our 2007 trip and he logged 86 miles on an 8 day trip. We did walk from Epcot to DHS and back in the same evening that trip, but the rest would have been regular theme park walking.

I use RunKeeper on my iPhone and love it! No problem with accuracy plus it keeps a map. You'd have to remember to pause during rides : ).

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

At 23000 steps it is at least 8 - 10 miles if not more.

That wasn't my post, but I'm guessing it was a day. My then 6-yo son wore one on our 2007 trip and he logged 86 miles on an 8 day trip. We did walk from Epcot to DHS and back in the same evening that trip, but the rest would have been regular theme park walking.

WOW, I mean I know it's a lot of walking, but I would have NEVER guessed it was THAT much walking. :crazy2: wow!

ScarletFire said:
I use RunKeeper on my iPhone and love it! No problem with accuracy plus it keeps a map. You'd have to remember to pause during rides : ).

Doesn't it drain your battery?

I noticed nobody answered my question ^^^^ (quoting myself).

HA! Is that because you don't know the answer either :rotfl:
The FAQ for the unit states it as such. My thought is that the unit is looking for a bit of a body jarring, even slightly, of a foot hitting the ground. With an elliptical, bike or similar, you are not moving your foot off the surface, therefore no jarring. However, momto2dkids above, stated she was able to get a count by attaching actually on the foot area.

i just bought a fitbit zip! i plan to take it to disney just to see how much walking we're doing, but i bought it because i have a sedentary job and want to make sure i get my 10,000 steps a day (in addition to my workouts).

i've personally tried those cheapo pedometers from the dollar store or even from walgreens, and they are horrible. i just end up throwing them out anyway. granted, i would need to buy 60 of them to catch up to the cost of the fitbit zip. :laughing:

I'm adding to the Fitbit love. I've been using mine for several months and love it. When a friend and I took a day trip to Myrtle Beach she was constantly asking me how much we'd walked so far. :rotfl:

I'm looking forward to wearing it at WDW this year.

DopeysMom said:
Doesn't it drain your battery?

That's a good question; I've never used it in the parks. Visiting WDW in less than two weeks and then I'll give an answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter