do you suffer from dry eyes?

gator75

DIS Veteran
do any of you suffer from dry eyes? i have been for the past week and it's getting quite annoying we live in a dry climate and also i spend alot of time at my computer, so i know that dosen't help so please let me know how you deal i'm tired of the feeling that there is something in my eyes.

I suffer from mild dry eyes. My optometrist said it isn't bad enough to get a prescription, but he recommended Systane Ultra or Refresh Optive. I have to say, they do work a whole lot better than Visine.

Mine told me to use Thera tears. I had eye surg and I will probably have these horrible dry eyes for the rest of my life. Mine are so bad that in the am, my eyelid will actually stick to my eyeball. Yep, that is a whole boat load of fun. I just keep the Thera Tears on my night stand.

My DD suffers from dry eyes (due to an autoimmune condition) and her doc prescribed Restasis. That stuff is amazing! But it's for chronic dry eyes and a bit of a pain (drops morning and night).

For temporary dry eyes he suggested Refresh Optive Plus (preservative free - he said this was very important) in the single use packaging. She uses this for when it's very dry outside or during allergy season.

I have suffered from dry eyes ever since I had Lasik. I tried just about every product on the market and I have been on Restasis for almost 2 years and it really does make a difference. There are some products for use at night that are gels that might be worth a try but I did not care for how they felt in my eye. My problems in the day are from my eyes getting too dry while I sleep so used to keep the eye drop vials on my nightstand and put them in if I woke up during that night and that was the next best thing before the prescription.

I live in a very dry climate and have suffered from dry eyes even before I moved here.
My opthamologist recommended Systane. I have used it for a few years and it works very well.

The only thing that helps me at all are steroid drops. I was on Restasis for quite some time and it didn't help in the least. My opth. says that Restasis works for about 2/3 of people who try it. I also take large quantities of flax seed oil...I don't think it helps either but it's great for my hair.

The first month after Lasik I had dry eyes what really helped was Restasis (its pricey though, around 100 bucks for a 2 month supply and you need to use them awhile before you start seeing an increase in tear production)

Optive refresh drops work great as well. There are also drops that are thicker and last longer, but I found the thick drops rather annoying.

I no longer suffer from dry eyes but I would give either of those drops a try.

My doctor suggested punctal plugs to treat my dry eyes. As I understand it, they are collagen implants that go into the eye ducts to help the eye retain more moisture.

I decided against them, since I've heard that they routinely get dislodged and have to be reinserted. :scared1:

I stick to TheraTears :)

I just use the cheap store brand eye drops. I use them if I get up in the night and when I get up in the morning. My eyes are dry and scratchy and I can hardly open them. After my shower I'll put in my contacts and then more drops. I am fine for the day, but after my lens are out my eyes are just a mess!

Very dry eyes here. They started suddenly about 7 years ago.

They were so bad that my eyelids wouldn't even open and close properly and it was like I had an infection in them they were so irritated.

I tried the OTC stuff (Theratears and the like). That helped for 2 minutes. I then had the punctal plugs put in and that didn't work.

I finally got Restasis. What a miracle. I'm *almost* normal. I can't drive with the windows down without sunglasses on and, in the winter, if I have the heat on in my car I have to put glasses on. Other than that, I'm okay.

My opthamologist also recommends that I take fish or flax oil as that helps but I'm very hit or miss when it comes to taking things.

I have an autoimmune disease and I also use Restasis and supplement with Refresh throughout the day as needed.
I also have plugs.

My doctor suggested punctal plugs to treat my dry eyes. As I understand it, they are collagen implants that go into the eye ducts to help the eye retain more moisture.

I decided against them, since I've heard that they routinely get dislodged and have to be reinserted. :scared1:

I stick to TheraTears :)

I have those plugs. They inserted them before my surg, so I can't tell if they have helped or not. They say my eyes would be worse without them.

They can become dislodged although mine have not and it has been 2 years. As for as the insertion, if you take your fingernail and rub the corner of your eye, that is the same sensation as the insertion. Not a big deal at all.

I have severely dry eyes. I use Genteal Gel at night which helps a lot. I use Systane Ultra during the day when I need it. My eye doctor says I am too young for plugs or anything else.

The first month after Lasik I had dry eyes what really helped was Restasis (its pricey though, around 100 bucks for a 2 month supply and you need to use them awhile before you start seeing an increase in tear production)

My DD's eye doctor told us that Restasis has just come down a great deal in price. I think we pay our usual co-pay but he told me that it used to be 100 bucks or so and that made it out-of-reach for most patients. I know we'd struggle with that price along with DD's multiple other meds.

My father has dry eye. He has a prescription but I don't remember what that prescription is right now. He also takes lots of fish oil and believes it helps quite a bit too.

I have bad dry eye as a permanent side effect from chemo (the gift that keeps on giving).

I'm on Restasis, which helps, and I also use various OTC drops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter