Do you stress over what the Kids eat on vacation?

marymac123

DIS Veteran
Do I just say "Oh well, we're in Disney...it's only 8 days!"?

I ordered some veggies to pack for the parks from GG & bought some "less sugar" indiviual snack packs...I can try to order the veggies & fruit for her meals.

But

I am not going to stress over this! :rolleyes1 Anyone else?

I don't stress over it, but I feel my kids function better if they are on the same kind of food they normally eat. They def. get more treats, but I always order the fruit and veggies and try to pick pasta or grilled chicken.
If your kids are not used to eating junk, they may get cranky or sick to their stomachs.

We also eat a healthy breakfast in the room each morning, so I feel like they at least will start the day off right.

Having said that, we are going to Disney this year with my BIL/SIL and their kids. They eat junk morning, noon and night, so it should be interesting. MY SIL always orders chocolate milk and then mouths "sorry" Then I have to explain to my kids that we only drink regular milk and we don't eat (fill in the blank). It will def. be more of a struggle with their cousins in tow. I try to tell our kids that you feel good because you eat healthy.
We'll see....

No....Your on vacation!!!!! We even sometimes plan our junk food out for the day. When your on vacation who wants to always hear no.

we don't worry about it too much. But, having said that DS (5) kept asking us what the "healthiest" thing was. And, consistently chose water over pop in his refillable mug. It was weird!
We don't get too stressed about the nights he wants just the dessert, but we always start the day off as healthy as possible (vitamins, meds & yogurt). And, we try to at least keep our kids full enough with healthy (or at least not terrible) food so that they aren't filling up on treats.
But, really, I'm the first one to line up for a Mickey Bar and skip salad for the week :rotfl:

We try to eat well but we also eat junk. Just a little FYI but those "less sugar" snacks are not healthier. They replace the sugar with fake sweeteners and chemicals.

Nope not at all. Of course I don't stress when at home. My kids have access to all the junk they want we always have cookies, candy, chips at home that they can have whenever they want and you know what? they eat less of it than any of their friends who have it regulated. I always throw out Halloween candy after it has sat till Christmas or beyond.

I let them order what ever they want.

There is nothing wrong with choc. milk it is still milk with all it's goodness, and unless obese kids can easily deal with the few extra sugar calories.

It's vacation, not to worry. Grapes and applesauce are available as sides for kids meals, and I ordered mini boxes of raisins from GG to snack on while in line...I figured between all the pizza, burgers and nuggets my girls would be eating, some raisins would help keep them "regular" (ewww! sorry! too much information!) if they needed it.

I wouldn't say I'll stress about it, but my kids are really sensitive to junk food and basically act like animals when they have too much. So while they will get more treats than they do at home, we won't go all out and I will help them make healthy meal choices. I'll also add that this concern is one of my issues I have with the kids' meals at Disney restaurants, many of which seem to offer some variation of chicken nuggets or a hot dog. I'd rather be able to order them an adult meal with healthier items.

Nope. We never give the junk a second thought. And how could I expect to limit my kids on it when they see me and DH eating Mickey bars, Ghiardelli chocolate, etc??

I agree with pp, if they're not used to eating much junk they could get sluggish or sick to their tummies. I certainly don't stress over what we eat but we do try to make the wisest choices from what's available so I'm sure we all are up to the tasks before us. My kids have never been the ones to ask for dessert or snacks and candy ...they eat when they're hungry and they tend to pick things that are good for them. But I always have chocolate chip cookies, fruit chews and the like in the house as well as fruit and whole grain snacks.

Nope, not stressing. We have one TS a day planned and will hit at least one CS a day. Between those two meals I am sure they will get enough "real" food in them for the day. Am I going to count how many servings of each food group they got each day? Nope, I'm on vacation too. As long as I see something aside from pure starches and sugars on their plate, I'll be happy. I am lucky though because two of my three kids would rather have fresh fruit than cookies, etc.

my main concern is them consuming enough vitamins and minerals to keep the immune system up and to give the child enough energy to sustain them through the trip.

does that mean no junk food, of course not, just that i think they need to eat nutricious foods also

I'm on vacation, so I try to worry as little as possible!! I plan very healthy meals at home, since my husband and I both are trying to lose weight, so my kids may need a vacation just from my cooking!!! Have fun, a few days of snacking and fast food will not kill them!! My oldest daughter hated the kids meals on our last trip, since they offer the same meals at each resturant, she if very thankful that she can order the adult meal at age 12 on this trip!

Nope - I have a very picky eater, so meals at home are very stressful as is. We usually take 2 trips/year for 8 days each, so 16 days total.

That leaves me 349 other days that I have to have the fruit and veggie fight. That's plenty.

Nope. We never give the junk a second thought. And how could I expect to limit my kids on it when they see me and DH eating Mickey bars, Ghiardelli chocolate, etc??

I second this. However, if you want to limit the treats have a set number decided before you go and tell your children that they can have one treat a day. Or five for the entire trip.

I would like to say food is never an issue in our house, but with life-threatening food allergies it is a daily concern. I cook healthy food for my family, but I do all I can to make food no big deal. I battled anorexia for years when I was younger. I want my kids to have a better relationship with food than I do. I am hoping that letting them eat what they want when they are hungry will help accomplish that goal. If I had kids who consistently chose junky food I guess I would think differently.

Gee, I don't think I have helped answer the question at all really. I guess the short answer is, I will only limit them to things they are not allergic to.

Nope, do not stress at all. I pack health snacks like fruit and rasins but we also have some treat too. I will get the happy meal but get the apple slices and milk. One of DGS favorite things from our vacation this summer was the day we ate ice cream for lunch!!!

On vacation DD orders what she wants with no interference from me. I do enough policing of her intake throughout the year that one week can't do any lasting damage. Besides, she usually knows her limits as far a s junk food gose and will say " I don't eant that. I've had too much sugar"

Nope, not at all. I figure 1 ot 2 weeks out of a year isn't going to be detrimental to their health. If I'm enjoying foods I wouldn't normally have at home, how is it fair to not let my kids too?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter