Do you store your dog(s) food in a container or..

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
just keep it in the bag? We've always just kept it in the bag, right next to his bowl. But I saw this 50 pound dog food container at Target and am debating whether or not I want to buy it. I'm wondering what other Disers do. :confused3

75lb chocolate lab for us. He will eat anything not locked down.

So we have a hard sided bin with a scoop that holds about 50lb of dog food. Picked it up at Target I think.

Works fine and has a snap on lid (with many a tooth mark on it from him trying to get into it)

75lb chocolate lab for us. He will eat anything not locked down.

So we have a hard sided bin with a scoop that holds about 50lb of dog food. Picked it up at Target I think.

Works fine and has a snap on lid (with many a tooth mark on it from him trying to get into it)

:rolleyes: I have a 20 pound terrier daschund mix, so him getting into the bag of food has never been a problem. I'm wondering if it keeps the food more fresh keeping it in a container?

When I had two small dogs, a large bag of dog food might last 2 months or more. I used a can with a lid then. Now that I have 3, including a larger dog, I'm lucky if it lasts 3 weeks. I just leave it in the bag now. They don't get into it.

we keep ours in a rubbermaid type container...I buy a 33 lb bag, but our house is pretty small and there's no room for the big bag anywhere but the basement. I pour half of it in the container and put it in the pantry closet next to the kitchen and refill when necessary.

we do the same thing with our cat's dry food that we did we the dog I had growing up-keep it in a brand new tightly lidded trash can. with the dog we had a big can we kept in the garage, with the cat's it's small enough to sit in the pantry. I keep a scoop inside it to fill the bowl.

it keeps it fresh and of more importance to us-prevents mold (kitchens can get humid) and doesn't attract pests (you can't see some of the tiny mites but they can make an animal sick, and rodent droppings sometimes are hard to see).

Ours is kept in a big container in the garage, we buy the bigger bags as it's better value and it keeps it fresh

I use a 5 gallon Home Depot plastic bucket with a lid and store it in the garage which is off the kitchen. I keep a measuring scoop in the bucket and take her bowl out to the garage and fill it twice a day. Her bowl is right next to the door between the kitchen and garage so super convenient. I buy a fairly large bag--just about fills the bucket and it lasts 3 months or so. She also gets a little wet canned food added to it.

Our dog eats raw frozen food but I keep the guinea pig food in a plastic container. We've had a problem with ants when I've just had it in the bag.

We use a lidded trash can with a step to open it that I keep in the inside hallway between the garage and the kitchen. I line it with a trash bag and just empty the dog food bag into there. It keeps pests and the dog out of it plus I don't like the way a dog food bag looks just hanging around.

We keep ours in a white trash bin (bought it brand new of course). It looks identical to this pic which i found on the internet:

trash_can.jpg

I have 3 big dogs, so I buy the big bags. I keep the food in a container. I also keep my cat food in a container.

I had 1 pound ferrets who were skilled at getting into their food bags. My several pound cats can open the cupboard and get into the food bags. I keep food inside a plastic container inside a cupboard.

Size matters not. Food is the great motivator.

We buy the really big bags and pour it into a big Rubbermaid tote. One bag fits in it perfectly and lasts about a month for our 2 dogs. DH usually sets his work out bag on top of it. It sits right in the laundry room where they get fed.

We have a large container on wheels with an airtight lid purchased from Petsmart like this:

http://www.petsmart.com/supplies-training/storage-scoops/iris-airtight-pet-food-storage-container-zid36-6459/cat-36-catid-100071?var_id=36-6459&_t=pfm%3Dsearch

We have to keep it in an airtight container to keep the ants away in the warmer months. A 50 pound bag lasts for 3 months for our 2 Shelties. The airtight container helps keep the food from getting stale.

Ours are almost identical to this except mine are clear and we bought them at Tractor Supply. I have 1 that holds the large Costco dog food, a 2nd that holds the entire Costco cat food bag and a third that is smaller and holds the large box of Costco dog bone biscuits. Love that they have wheels since they sit under the pantry shelf.

The dog food is in the pantry and the cat food is in the garage, I keep a small ziplock of catfood In the pantry and refill from the bin in the garage. The dog we feed directly out of his bin.

Keeping the pet foods in their bags is not an option in our climate due to humidity and bugs.

Disneyland1084 said:
just keep it in the bag? We've always just kept it in the bag, right next to his bowl. But I saw this 50 pound dog food container at Target and am debating whether or not I want to buy it. I'm wondering what other Disers do. :confused3

We got a 30 lb dog food container years ago. I like keeping it in there, so I don't have to worry about mice getting into it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter